Treize

Between The Raindrops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapitre Treize

>The moment that we touched I knew that there would be two less lonely people in the world<

MinNeul

“Voila! Dinner is served!” MinNeul chirped as she brought three plates to the dining table, skillfully balancing them on her arms. MinHyuk seemed worried for a moment seeing her carrying the plates like that but he knew that she’d done it a million times at the restaurant, so he didn’t offer to help.

That night, he didn’t help his sister with the cooking because she’d insisted that she’d cook for them, and that she was going to try her new recipe so MinHyuk and her mom would be the judge. “I can’t let you know my secret recipe and ingredients,” she had said, and MinHyuk merely laughed and shook his head. Whatever that makes her happy.

“Wow, this looks amazing!” MinHyuk complimented once MinNeul put the plate in front of him and then their mother’s. MinHyuk sniffed the dish in front of him and a wide smile spread across his face, with a hint of full of pride visible in that smile.

MinNeul sat across from him at the table, with their mother on her right, and she returned his beam as she looked at YoonHe, trying to see her reaction. Just for tonight, she’d hoped that her mother would show a bit of an interest in what MinNeul did best, cooking.

She looked at her mother expectantly, hoping that the woman would show something on her face, and she could only see her trying to force herself to be pleased. “Y-yes, this looks ... nice.” YoonHe said passively, and MinNeul’s shoulders deflated a little, before silently telling herself that it was better than nothing.

“So, sister, what is dish called?” MinHyuk asked eagerly, couldn’t wait to start digging in the meal in front of him. He took in the sight of what looked like mash potatoes and he swore he could smell cheese as well, and the generous amount of meat that made his mouth water. The aroma itself was driving him crazy, and he knew without a doubt that it would definitely taste great. His sister had never disappointed him.

MinNeul’s attention turned to her brother and answered with a proud smile, “It’s called Hachis Parmentier, but with a little twist of my own. In other words, it’s the same as shephard’s pie. It’s a layer of mashed potatoes and juicy ground beef beneath it. It’s fairly easy to prepare, oppa.”

MinHyuk nodded in understanding before lifting his cutleries and began eating, and as he took the first bite, he knew he was in Heaven. He looked up at his sister and reached over to ruffle her hair. “This is really good! It’s très très bon.” He exclaimed, and MinNeul only smiled happily.

She knew when her brother was being honest or trying to be nice, but that evening MinNeul knew that her brother really meant what he said. And there was nothing else that could make her happier than seeing people enjoying her food.

“Mom, you really have to try this!” MinHyuk urged, since YoonHe only looked at him as he ate, and made no move to try the dish MinNeul made for them. MinNeul hoped so badly that her mother would say that she liked it, or that she was proud of her of what she’d achieved, but that would probably be too much to ask for.

She’d always known that YoonHe didn’t like this career she chose for herself, and it was one of the reasons why their relationship had gotten worse. MinHyuk, at least, had chosen the business life for himself, much to their mother’s delight, while MinNeul chose to be a chef instead of following their footsteps.

But no matter what happened, MinNeul couldn’t imagine herself doing anything else other than cooking, because that was her happiest moments.

And thanks to MinHyuk’s encouragement, YoonHe finally took a bite of the pie MinNeul made, and nodded her head stiffly. “He’s right.” She said. “This is good.” And to MinNeul, that was more than enough. Perhaps her mother needed more time to accept that this was the path she had chosen, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

She watched her brother and mother ate, before lifting her own silverwares, and unconsciously muttered to herself, “I wonder if MyungSoo would like this too.”

MinHyuk, who without a doubt heard every word she said, raised an eyebrow at her as the corner of his lips twitched upwards. “Oh, I am sure he will, especially since you cook it.” He replied, failing to notice the change of expression on their mother’s face.

She’d stopped eating the moment she heard their conversation, and put down her fork as she asked, “Ah, so you’re still mingling with that boy, I reckon?”

MinNeul’s eyes met her mother’s, and the girl nodded her head confidently. “Yes.” She answered, her voice sounded so sure and definite.

YoonHe observed her daughter’s face, taking in the features that very much reminded her of her former husband, and crossed her arms. She’d noticed something there, and MinNeul knew she did, and she wasn’t doing anything to hide it.

“You’re together now, aren’t you?” YoonHe asked, her voice low but loud enough for the other two to hear. MinHyuk looked at his sister, knowing that she wouldn’t need his help but he was always ready to jump in if need be.

MinNeul looked at her mother directly in the eyes. “Yes, we are.” She said firmly, not like the last time when she told her mother about JongIn. She was a girl then, afraid about telling YoonHe who she’d fallen in love with, and was scared to death when YoonHe started yelling at her, only to have the boy she’d given her heart to at the time to break it apart after all she endured with her mother.

But now, she was not the same girl anymore. She was an adult, and she knew she could make better judgments now. She must’ve been too blinded by love not to see it coming with JongIn, but this time, she knew that things would be fine with MyungSoo. She trusted him, just as he did her, and she would not be afraid this time because he made her feel so much more alive. She’d brace anything her mother would throw at her.

Red spread across YoonHe’s face as she slammed both her hands on the dining table, nearly making her unfinished meal to topple over. MinHyuk jumped in his seat, and looked over at his sister in concern, but all he could see was her sitting firmly and not flinching at all. For a brief moment, he was really proud of his twin.

“I thought I told you to make sure that the two of you are just friends! That was what you said to me, MinNeul! You said that you would make certain of that!” YoonHe bellowed, and her voice ricocheted throughout the enormous house. Deep down in her heart, MinNeul hoped that the maids wouldn’t be too scared and if they were wise enough, they won’t be anywhere near the dining area for a few minutes. It had been a while since the last there was shouting and whatnot in the house, and they must’ve been so shocked right now.

“I know what I said.” MinNeul replied, pushing away the fear that began to creep inside her heart. As witty as she was as a person, she had to admit that her mother was indeed bloodcurdling when she was fuming. “I didn’t realize then that he is special to me, mom. He has always been special to me, in a way that I didn’t apprehend. But I do know.”

“No, you’re just confused.” YoonHe said back. “JongIn broke your heart, and MyungSoo just happened to be there. You think you love him, but you don’t! He’s just a distraction for you, or a mere replacement for the stupid bastard who turned you into a fool! And as it turns out, he loves you and you think of him as a savior. You think you love him, but you really don’t!”

“MyungSoo is not a replacement!” MinNeul had begun to raise her voice. It hurt her heart so much for her mother to say that she was only looking at MyungSoo as a spare after what JongIn did. “And he’s not a distraction either, and never will be any of those things! He’s a person who’s always loved me and would never hurt me, and I began to realize that I feel the same way.”

YoonHe scoffed, and MinHyuk had started to clench and unclench his fists, trying to stop himself from jumping in to help his sister. He knew that he shouldn’t do that, but he would do whatever it took to defend his sister, even i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter