Quid Pro Quo

Quid Pro Quo (One-Shot)

Junhyung was sitting on the bench by this big tree, waiting for his little princess to arrive. It was the place where they first met, and where he asked for her to be his girlfriend. Today, it shall also be the place where he would ask for her hand-in-marriage. Junhyung put his hand in his pocket and felt for the ring which he had prepared for her. It was in the shape of a star, and had both of their names engraved on it. He was positive that Hae Rim was going to love it. 

As he spotted Hae Rim walking over, he quickly hid behind the tree. 

"Hey baby." Junhyung said, as he popped out from behind the tree, giving her a surprise back-hug. 

"Junhyung oppa... I've got something to tell you." Hae Rim didn't look happy, and he could see that her eyes were getting watery.

They sat down by the bench and he gently placed her head on his shoulder.

Junhyung her face, and asked, "What's wrong?"

"Oppa... I'm diagnosed with cancer. Today." She stopped, and began to sob quietly.

I couldn't believe it. I had intended to propose to her today, but I guess...


*

"Baby, how're you feeling today?" Junhyung asked, as he opened the door to her ward. 

Hae Rim didn't answer him, for she had fallen asleep after a long day of chemotherapy. He sat down on the chair beside her, and kissed her hands. Looking at her frail and fragile state brought him heartache. He took the ring out of his pocket which he had kept for a long time, and slipped it into her finger. It was slightly loose as she had lost weight throughout the months of chemotherapy which she had. 

Junhyung was determined to do something about her situation, so he decided to pray to God.

Dear God, please... For the sake of Hae Rim, I just wish... I would be the one who has to suffer instead of her. If you need a substitute, I'd gladly be the one. 

*

Miraculously, Hae Rim was declared cancer-free soon after. When she called Junhyung's phone to inform him of the good news, she learnt that he had died from a fatal accident that evening. She saw the ring on her finger, with their names engraved on it, and understood the indication from him. 

Junhyung had sacrificed himself for Hae Rim's recovery. It was certainly the bravest act of love which no man has ever made.