Veil 003

The Masked Facade

 

 

We dance the night away and there's no sign of Jaehwan even into the small hours of daylight and I can't help but feel a small twinge of disappointment. The drinks continue to flow and my collection of empty red solo cups is growing until I groan when I start to feel a pounding headache pressing behind my eyelids, thankful for no classes tomorrow.

 

Or, today if we're being technical here.

 

Wonshik helps me carry Remi back to her dorm, tottering on four inch heels and she'd be falling all over the place if it weren't for his arm secured around her waist. It’s rather odd that this is our first encounter, dragging my drunk best friend back to her room. If that makes things less awkward or even more so, I have absolutely no idea. My own brain is completely fried.

 

He watches from the doorway as I help her out of her shoes, shushing her gently when she starts to whine about her aching feet. A few swipes of makeup remover and I tuck her into bed and she's out the instant her head hits the pillow. I click off the lights.

 

"Good night," Wonshik calls in a whisper into the darkened room before he closes the door.

 

"So...uh..see you around, I guess," I mumble to him. What even is he to Remi? She's never said anything about a boyfriend. But the two certainly are comfortable enough around each other.

 

"Yeah. See you, Lola."

 

Remi must have told him about me. I'm about to ask him how long they've known each other when I turn and see that I'm alone in the hallway.

 

"Old sport," I mutter tiredly and start the long trek back to my own room.

 

--

 

Sunlight slants through the curtains at an odd angle and I let out a low moan and roll my pillow over my face.

 

"Aerin," I muffle in a croaky voice, "remind me to never go out again. I honestly hate myself so much. I can't believe I just slept all day."

 

My roommate, Hwang Aerin, snickers from her desk. She has snacks and a bottle of soda resting on the tabletop, papers and books strewn over the surface. Like the sensible student she is, she's been doing work all day. Not passed out in bed with a killer hangover.

 

"I was wondering why you came back so late last night," she says, green eyes narrowing playfully, "you probably woke up the whole damn hall."

 

"Mission accomplished." I sigh, exhaustion weighing down my whole body and I raise my fist into a thumbs up. She swivels around in her computer chair with a manilla folder in hand.

 

"Oh, can you check my qualitative analysis reports for Organic Chem when you get a chance? Your proofreading really helped me out last time." I flinch below the covers and try not to overreact at the request since my mind is still foggy. Plus, this is my wonderful roommate we're talking about.

 

"Sure. Leave it on my desk."

 

"Thanks, Lo."

 

"You mind if Remi comes over for a bit?" I ask.

 

"No problem. Just keep the TV quiet, yeah?"

 

"Mm."

 

Still on my back, I reach around blindly on the bedside table for my phone.

 

"I'm awake," Remi's voice crackles, "just kidding. You woke me up and I hate you."

 

"Good morning." I laugh and she grumbles, the sound of rustling fabric and she's no doubt stumbling out of bed. "Bring lots of water and dried apricots," I tell her, "and gummy bears."

 

--

 

Remi is sprawled over my lap half-asleep, our blankets riddled with the remnants of microwave popcorn. Strains of Infinity Challenge murmur from the TV and I'm laughing quietly with my fingers absently running through her hair. Behind us, I can hear Aerin humming while she finishes up her work. It's been awhile since we've done this, relaxing and taking time for ourselves.

 

And then the show ends and is about to start streaming the next episode when I realize we just blew threw an entire season.

 

"Okay," I huff and try to stand up with Remi's weight still on me, "time for homework, little one." Remi groans but gets the message and gracefully flops onto the floor.

 

"Pass me my backpack. I don't want to get up, I'll just do it all here."

 

--

 

Later that week, I'm walking back from my free period when I spot Remi and Wonshik down the hall. They’re glued to each others’ side, shoulders brushing, talking in hushed voices. Giggling, her eyes shyly cast down to the floor, his hands are shoved casually in his pockets. I quickly duck behind a corner just as they pass by and I pull out my phone, snapping a picture.

 

The distinctive sound of my camera shutter echoes through the hallway and I bite off a curse for forgetting to turn off my ringer before throwing myself into a huddle of students just as Remi turns around. One of them glances up from his tablet and gives me a once over, turning back to chat with his friends and I see Remi shrug. She and Wonshik disappear into the cafeteria.

 

Little .

 

--

 

"Can you show me your film for the photography assignment?" I ask her one rainy Tuesday in the library. She's sitting cross legged on one of the couches, shoes off, laptop and books taking up two tables she's pushed together. She pulls out her earbuds and I can hear the kick snare of some hip hop track she's listening to.

 

"Oh, I'm really sorry, Lo. I wish I could but there's not much to show you," her lips twist into a frown, "this asshat barged into the darkroom and ed up all my film." Remi passes me several polaroids from across the table, and sure enough, blurs and white streaks.

 

"They still look pretty cool, though," I muse aloud, thumbing through the photographs and finding a black and white shot of the sky filled with dead autumn trees, the overexposure giving off a feel of solemnity and sophistication. I pause when I see the profile of a familiar face, one I've seen a lot from this past week alone.

 

"Wonshik modeled for you?"

 

Her cheeks flush scarlet and she snatches them out of my hands.

 

"He offered to." She mumbles, stuffing them back into the folder. I hum with a smile on my lips.

 

"I gotta go," she says suddenly and goes to stand, "lots of homework, you know."

 

"Okay, catch you later,"

 

"Yeah. Later."

 

--

 

"I'm coming over," I say into the phone.

 

"Wha-? Can't you wait? I have a lot of stuff I need to get done, Lola,"

 

"No, it can't. You've been ignoring me, you won't respond to my texts."

 

I hear Remi sigh. "Like I said, lots to do."

 

"You won't respond to my texts. When have I ever said that sentence to you?" Another sigh, this time a huff of breath and I can hear the slight annoyance in her voice.

 

"Never. I know, I know. I'm sorry."

 

"Okay, well, I'm already at your room so open up."

 

"Huh?" her voice echoes from inside as well as through the receiver. I hear her curse. There's a long pause and she hangs up, the sound of movement before the door clicks open. Remi smiles at me tiredly.

 

"Why, thank you." I chirp and she mockingly rolls her eyes.

 

That's when I notice the window is open and catch a glimpse of someone sneaking off into the night. I smirk and dive onto her couch.

 

"Alright. I'm not leaving this spot until you spill."

 

"Spill what?"

 

I jerk my chin in the direction of her window and in the same motion, pull up the photo of the two of them from the previous day.

 

"Wonshik," I utter. Her eyes follow and her shoulders slump.

 

"."

 

--

 

Wonshik fell into her life on a hazy summer night. I remember she had been working at the local bookstore a few weeks before we had moved into campus in a last push to raise funds for college.

 

"He asked me for a book on composition." she flushes. She fidgets with her fingers and her voice gets all quiet, the way she speaks whenever she’s opened up to me. "He came out of nowhere, so tall and smiling. I was closing for the night so I was alone. I almost had a heart attack and called security when I turned around and saw him there." She glances at the carpeted floor shyly.

 

She tells me he purposefully left his receipt behind, cell phone digits scribbled down and a few lyrics to the song he was writing. Fast forward a few months later and they run into each other in the Economics lecture hall out of pure coincidence. The two of them had even declared the same major. Looks like music isn't their only mutual interest.

 

"Why didn't you tell me about him? He seems so sweet," I smile at her over the steaming mug of hot cocoa she's fixed me. And he’s obviously special to her. She shrugs.

 

"I dunno, makes it more exciting that way," she giggles. I throw a marshmallow at her.

 

"I thought we made it clear back in elementary school we wouldn't keep secrets from each other. I think it's time to renew our vows."

 

Remi snickers and puffs up her chest. "I agree," she says and holds out her pinky, "no more secrets?" I dip my finger into the mound of whip cream and swipe at her nose, hooking my pinky around hers.

 

"No more secrets,"

 

 


 
ooh? Wonshik~~? I'm also using BloodyRavens' OC Hwang Aerin so I can enter this story in her writing contest so just a little heads up for that ^^