Chapter 5 - When Something Changes

The Sweetest Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the third time that week, Baekhyun stared at the screen of his phone. Kyungsoo had called two days after their little dinner, telling him that he was on his way to Japan for a business trip. At the time, Baekhyun had bid him a safe trip, cheerfully wishing him good luck for work. He didn't expect to be watching for Kyungsoo's return so eagerly. Instead, he found himself feeling almost lonely, waiting for Kyungsoo to tell him when he'd be back when really, he'd only been gone for about a week now. 

Kyungsoo's return wasn't the only thing Baekhyun had on his mind. His fingers unconsciously drifted to his lips, tips ghosting against the soft surface. 'That kiss... What did it mean for us?' He couldn't help but wonder. A blush inevitably made its way onto Baekhyun's cheeks. This was going so fast, and he knew that. He'd hardly known the guy for a month, but already he was anticipating their next meeting. They'd even kissed. Somehow, though, he didn't quite... hate it? As surprising as their pace was, Baekhyun found himself not minding. It's not like anyone had ever set a speed limit for feelings and relationships. They could go at whatever speed they wanted, Baekhyun decided. 

Just as he pushed himself off his desk to leave for the kitchen, an SNSD song blared through the room - his ringtone. He rushed back to his phone expectantly only to excitedly cheer when he found Kyungsoo's contact photo flashing across the screen. Before pressing accept, he quickly sat straight up, cleared his throat, and calmed himself down. 

"Hello?" he answered, still a little bit breathless from his earlier celebration. 

"Hey, Baek," came Kyungsoo's cool reply. "I finally had some time off from all the constant meetings. Thought I'd call to see what you were doing." 

"Oh, uh... well, I wasn't doing much, I guess..." Baekhyun shyly murmured. 'Oh my god, he called me Baek again,' he internally noted. They definitely had something going. "W-what about you?" He cursed himself for stuttering. 

"Same. Nothing much. I'm back in my hotel room for once, resting. I have another meeting soon, but I had time for a call so here we are," he declared, letting out a happy sigh. 

"Oh..." Baekhyun frowned a little. "It sounds like a lot of hard work." 'Ah, but still, I'm glad you called, Kyungsoo,' Baekhyun thought to himself, regaining his smile. 

"You're glad that I called, huh? Yeah it is a lot of hard work, but hopefully it won't be lasting too long," Kyungsoo laughed, but Baekhyun was mortified. 'Did I... Did I say that out loud?' "I'll be back soon enough," Kyungsoo continued. "So, did you sleep well?"

"Yeah." Baekhyun replied absentmindedly, still reeling from his previous accident. He made his way to his bed and slumped on the edge. 

"Did you eat already, too?"

"Duh~" Baekhyun sing-songed, absentmindedly examining the hand that wasn't holding the phone. 

"Did you think of me?" 

"Yes, yes, ye- Hey wait!" Baekhyun shot up, alarmed. He heard Kyungsoo laughing out loud on the other end of the line. "Kyungsoo! You did that on purpose!" HIs face heated up rapidly as the other continued to chuckle. 'Godammit, Byun Baekhyun. Why are you like this? A+.' 

"It's fun teasing you, Baek. You're cute," Kyungsoo said. There was a pause then, and Baekhyun could hear other voices on Kyungsoo's end of the line. "Hey Baek, just a sec," Kyungsoo quickly told him before addressing the people who came to visit him. Baekhyun could only hear the muffled noises, too unclear to make out actual words, but he could already predict what Kyungsoo was going to say when he came back. Right on cue, Kyungsoo's voice returned to Baekhyun, "Baekhyun, I have some business to attend to. I'm afraid I have to leave... I'm glad I talked to you though." He paused for a few seconds before adding on, "I missed you. I'll come back soon, but until then, bye." 

"Bye, Kyungsoo. Call me when you're um.... When you come back, I guess," Baekhyun finished awkwardly, still shaken up from Kyungsoo's last comment. He heard Kyungsoo chuckle a little before letting out one last bye, and then the line went dead. Baekhyun flopped over his bed. "That was not fair..." Baekhyun groaned. But his lips betrayed him as they curled into a sheepish smile. After all, Kyungsoo had called him cute. He widened his eyes and shot up from where he was lying. "Oh god. I'm squealing like a fan girl, what is wrong with me?" Baekhyun scolded himself as he placed his palms on his heated cheeks. "Goddammit," he whispered, before falling backwards onto the soft sheets again. 

He closed his eyes and thought to himself, 'Am I... Am I falling for him? ....Ew, I feel like the main lead of a cheesy drama. I'm falling for him, aren't I? Universe, why?' He groaned and rolled over, so now he was lying facedown into his pillows. Slowly, however, his smile began to fade, as flashes of that guy appeared in his mind. He took a long staggered breath as memories came back to him, from witnessing that guy and his lover to crying on the flight home. He remembers how he felt when he came across the photo he accidentally brought back with him, how it felt to leave it facedown in the corner because he couldn't bear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter