Chapter 2 - To Sweep Him Off His Feet

The Sweetest Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Grand music filled the air as the guests chose to either mingle in the nooks and crannies of the hall or pair up for dances in the clearing right in the middle. Kyungsoo leaned against a tall white pillar near a table laden with drinks as he watched Jongin glide across the smooth floor with another boy. Growing bored eventually, he opted to stare at the floating ice cubes in his drink instead - at least, that's how he appeared to everyone around him. Inside his mind, he was rapidly formulating his own little plans on how to corner the little star of the party - Byun Baekhyun. As soon as Baekhyun had been revealed to the guests, it hadn't taken very long for the gears in Kyungsoo's head to begin turning. This was the perfect opportunity. 

He almost chided himself for not being able to see it earlier, really. But who would have known that President Byun's most prized possession wasn't his multi-billion dollar company at all, but rather, his son? For a man Kyungsoo had pegged as unfeeling and having no regard for family, this one sure turned out to have a surprising weak link. And Kyungsoo couldn't wait to abuse it. 

Of course, he just had to wait for the perfect time, that's all. 

He perked up as the fourth piece of music gradually faded, signalling its end. As the first few notes of the next song began to play, a soft waltz, he grinned and pushed himself off his pillar refuge, eyes locked onto one particular individual. Across the room, Baekhyun had just begun to maneuver through the crowd towards Kyungsoo's general direction. This was the perfect chance. He watched as the slightly weary man made his way towards the drinks laid out on the table. He casually walked the few steps necessary before he found himself hardly inches away from his little target. Straightening his face quickly, swapping out his smirk for a smile, he cleared his throat. 

Baekhyun had visibly flinched, emitting a soft gasp before straightening up and facing Kyungsoo. For a few seconds, Kyungsoo had almost felt entranced. It was no lie that Byun Baekhyun was beautiful. He took in the boy's neat black hair that swept to the side, along with his fair, soft looking skin and his cute puppy eyes. The eyes widened as eyebrows rose, and Baekhyun tilted his head in question. 

"Good evening... Do I know you...?" he questioned slowly. 

"Hello, Mr. Byun Baekhyun. I'm Do Kyungsoo," Kyungsoo introduced himself and offered a hand in Baekhyun's direction. A soft hand enveloped itself in his as Baekhyun shyly shook his hand, still eyeing Kyungsoo with a small smile. "We haven't quite had the pleasure of meeting before today. Welcome back home to Korea." 

"Thank you, Mr. Do," he responded politely. 

"Please, call me Kyungsoo. Unlike the vast majority of the people here, I believe you and I are quite close in age," Kyungsoo interjected, leaning ever so slightly in Baekhyun's direction. He knew he was headed in the right direction once a very subtle blush dusted across Baekhyun's cheeks. He smirked. Cute, this is going to be easy. "Would you like to have this dance?" he asked simply, holding his hand out. 

Baekhyun lowered his gaze at the hand before him before nodding slowly and placing his own hand in Kyungsoo's. The pair moved into the clearing, where Kyungsoo shifted their positions to match the waltz. He placed his hand on Baekhyun's waist and pulled him closer. Once he felt Baekhyun's hand rest itself on his shoulder, he led them into the dance. Barely a few steps in, he looked to Baekhyun's face, now much closer, and tried to make light conversation.

"This party was held in your honor, Mr. Byun. Do you like it so far?" he asked gently.

"You can call me Baekhyun, Kyungsoo," he laughed. "And so far... I'm honored to be received this way, but I'm not sure all this fancy socialite stuff suits me." He laughed again, but this time strained. Sighing lightly, he opted to gaze away from Kyungsoo's face, making said man frown.

"I guess you and I can both agree that hanging out with this old bunch isn't exactly the best pastime, Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo mused. He took in how Baekhyun's breath hitched ever so slightly at the mention of his own name.

"You know," began Baekhyun, "ever since I came back here, hardly anyone outside my family members have called me by my name." He shifted his gaze to look back at Kyungsoo. "Everyone calls me 'President Byun's son.' A few years in America, and I guess I got too used to being called by my own name," he laughed again. "But then I found you! Ah, this feels refreshing." He beamed at Kyungsoo. 

Kyungsoo himself let out a small laugh. "It's your name, of course I would call you that." He waited a few seconds, then continued. "So... how was living in the States these few years?" Baekhyun was getting more and more enthusiastic and comfortable, and Kyungsoo was eager to keep up the conversation. 

"Oh it was great! I was in New York City, and oh my God, there was just so much to see and do there. And so many different people to me-" Baekhyun's voice was suddenly cut off, and Kyungsoo looked to see him in a slight trance. "So many people to meet...." he repeated softly. Kyungsoo frowned again as he watched Baekhyun's gaze shift from him again. He to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter