✖「 Chapter Two 」

✖「 Young Avengers 」 New Heroes Emerge

chapter two 」Hugh


"Touch luck, imposter." 

The scene before them could be described as if clowns had taken a different occupation. You could say a commotion happened but it was like the circus came to town. There’s a banana yellow Volkswagen bug with a red nose on the front that sits haphazardly to the side in front of the building. It’s a quiet Tuesday night when they came upon the scene of five masked criminals dressed in bright jumpsuits, with bags of money in their hands running out the bank on East Main street.

This isn’t exactly what Hugh Stark had in mind when he agreed to go patrolling with his dad. But, deep down this was exactly the kind of thing he wanted to do. To be able to fight anyone who was doing wrong. Especially with his dad. Even if it was clowns who were robbing a bank. This definitely beats doing paperwork for the Industries.

The five clowns stop dead in their tracks as they spot both Hugh and his dad. There’s an awkward standoff with the five clowns between Hugh and Tony. Ignoring the blaring sirens from inside the bank. Each of their faces are painted in different patterns. Ironically, the five clowns even have tiny party hats that sit on top of their heads. The one in the middle that is dressed in a shiny black jumpsuit with brown spots, straightens his posture. It makes him stand out among the other four. 

Hugh’s guessing this one is the leader. Their face is painted white with blue outlining the eyebrows, mouth, and nose, creating a sad expression. They open their mouth and what comes out, makes Hugh almost break the silence.

“Alright boys, spread out!” The command is barked out in a high-pitched voice.

What Hugh hadn’t expected was what came out of his mouth. The high pitch of their voice is jarring with their sad clown expression. Biting back a laugh, Hugh watches as they break the awkward standoff and sprint down the street. Three go right, while two go left.

What Hugh hadn’t expected was what came out of his mouth. The high pitch of their voice is jarring with their sad clown expression. Biting back a laugh, Hugh watches as they break the awkward standoff and sprint down the street.

You can’t be serious. Hugh thinks.

            “Okay, it's showtime,” Tony calls out. "You take sparkle pants and the pink monster and I will catch the twin Mullets and Cookie."

             “Oh, yeah!” Hugh shouts running in the direction the two criminals ran down.

Hugh is halfway down the street, running after the two brightly lit people in jumpsuits. It doesn’t take him long to catch up with him since he uses his suit’s Ai system to track their heat signature.

“Sir, they seem to have stopped running,” F.R.I.D.A.Y. informs him

He finds them at the dead end of an alley. Goon #1 who is dressed in the sparkly jumpsuit, charges at him. Hugh ducks the next swift punch that’s aimed at him. He moves quickly to the side and squats, sweeping his leg under Goon #1. The sparkly goon crashes hard on a pile of trash cans. Hugh does a fist pump and directs his attention towards Goon #2 who is dressed in a hot pink jumpsuit. Hugh ready’s himself and plants his feet waiting for Goon #2 to charge at him. However, instead, Goon #2 jumps onto a dumpster and runs up the side of a brick wall and lands on the roof of it.

            “Aww come on.” Hugh sighs

He switches to repulsor beams on his feet and is already lifting from the ground. When he is level with the roof of the building, the Goon is already a couple of roofs ahead.

What the hell are they, parkour clowns? Hugh thinks.

He begins his pursuit and soon gains enough speed to catch up to him and raises his left arm. Aiming his repulsor ray at the back of Goon #1’s back. He’s about to fire when he is suddenly distracted as a pink and red repulsor beam bolt lands in front of Goon #2. This causes Goon #2 to trip and fall. Hugh puts his hand down and watches as a suit similar to Hugh and his dads’ whiz past him and land right in front of Goon #2.

Hugh notices that the suit is built slimmer and modified in color. The suit lifts its arm and is about to blast Goon #2 when he throws a wad of cash at the other suit. The one in the suit stumbles back like it’s surprised at the sneak attack. Goon #2 then tucks and rolls to the side of the roof and begins to bolt. Hugh chuckles to himself and begins his pursuit.

“Tough luck, imposer.” Hugh calls

This time Hugh fires his own repulsor beam and watches it hit the spot just left of Goon #2. Hugh groans because he just made a fool out of himself in front of the other person. He goes to fire again when a dark blur darts out of the corner of Hugh’s eye. The figure is shorter than the other one and is dressed in a sleek black armored suit. It moves gracefully as it flicks its wrist and two daggers are hurled out of its hand. The daggers make an impact with each of Goon #2’s shoulders and he is pinned to the wall instantly. The dark figure slinks towards Goon #2 and presses hard on the joint between his neck and shoulder. Goon #2 passes out with his head dropping forward. 

He blinks behind his helmet when he lands on the roof. The dark figure turns around and Hugh can see that half their face is covered. While dark eyes stare back at him.

  “Hey, that was pretty cool,” Hugh says "But I was pretty much handling it before you and your friend showed up."

The petite figure doesn’t say anything but merely raises two thin brown eyebrows. Hugh mocks them by raising his own eyebrows but realizes they can’t see it. Not long and the other one comes, landing with a soft thud. There are two of them. The shortest one is already walking over to the now unconscious criminal and pulling the daggers out of the places they have stuck. Both their suits look pretty advanced for just anyone and now Hugh is wondering who in the world are these people.

                “Black Swan.”  The taller one calls, “Come one, our job is done. We’ll leave the rest to the authorities.”

The short one known as “Black Swan” gracefully turns and walks right past Hugh as if he was never there.

Hugh huffs out. “Kay, so I’m invisible now? Good to know.”

The taller one who is dressed similar to Hugh stops short of moving towards the edge of the building. Hugh is certain she is a girl but doesn’t want to assume just from her voice and the way her suit fits her. But then again, you can’t unsee the obvious, with what’s sitting there in front of you.

Hugh watches as she tilts her head and then she straightens up. She walks till she’s in front of him and he hears the hiss of the front of her helmet as it lifts up revealing an attractive girl. She has freckles that scatter across her face and round brown eyes. What sticks out to Hugh is that her brown eyes remind him of his father and her bright red hair reminds him of his mother.

She watches his expression as she explains more about her new project. Sigyn wants to know what her father really thinks about the whole thing. Especially since using something so special to Asgard. She was waiting for an answer that disapproves but instead, Thor seems to actually consider her idea, sitting quietly in her kitchen chair eating the remaining piece of the pop tart.

The realization makes Hugh cross his arms and smirk.

There is no way that he is actually believing what his parents said about what happened a few years ago. Yet, the evidence is in front of him, and now, the ‘Cloning the Avengers’ mission story seems more real than he can even deny it.

Here I thought I was only one. Hugh thinks.

  “Well, this is something.” Hugh says, leaning in closer to inspect her face.

The girl blows a raspberry into Hugh’s face making him take a step back. The girl giggles and walks back over to her partner.

                “I definitely had it.”  Hugh wipes off the front of his helmet “Thanks anyway.”

The girl crosses her arms, “Maybe next time catch the criminal, newbie. Because we definitely bag this guy.”

She holds out her fist and the short one who is dressed in the black getup doesn’t say anything but bumps her fist with her own.

Hugh blows his own raspberry and turns around to start tying up the unconscious criminal.

The next morning, It’s a regular morning in the Stark House. A raspy indie singer croons out about being lovesick. Pepper Potts-Stark, who is dressed in a black pinstripe suit, sings along with her as she stands in front of the stove. She dumps a ladle full of batter into the sizzling skillet. Across from her sits Hugh Stark and his dad, Tony.

There’s a stack of pancakes that sits in front of Hugh. Before anyone can blink the stack of pancakes begins to disappear as Hugh starts devouring them. Next to him, Tony, shakes his head, “Save some for me will you.” Tony says pulling a few of the pancakes off the plate in the middle of the table.

There’s so much food in Hugh’s mouth, he has to stop and swallow down the buttery sweetness. He grabs his glass of orange juice off the table and swallows half of it. Hugh is actually hungry this morning. He hasn’t decided if it’s from meeting his “sibling” or from his powers eating at his body’s fats.

Inside his sweatshirt pocket, his phone starts to vibrate. Hugh raises an eyebrow and fishes the device out of his pocket. The screen glows and there’s a message to his Instagram that pops up. Hugh clicks the message and almost drops his phone. It’s in his DM and a five-sec video appears. Under the video is a caption that says, Hey Newbie! #The Defenders.

Absolutely not. Hugh thinks starting to typing on his phone.

A few clicks and Hugh smiles.  

This user has been blocked.

Hugh pockets his phone and continues eating his pancakes.

author's note

 

Hi there and here is chapter two! I know I said there would be more characters' points of view, but I was taking a while to write this chapter so I didn't want you guys to wait that long for a second chapter. So, I included more characters from Hugh's point of view. I'm hoping to actually add in more characters pov in the next chapter but we shall see.

Anyway, this is not the last you will see about the clown group. They were fun to write and I also think the interaction between Hugh and Claire and Maria was fun to write. Dun Dun Dunn! Hugh finds out that there are other heroes out protecting the streets. That group being The Defenders. I will explain how there are other kids that have similar last names and look like them. I wanted to do something different than just going straight to his dad talking to him about joining the Young Avengers. I hope you guys like this chapter. Thank you Suzie (kimzie), I hope I wrote your character well. 

If you want to see the Instagram post. You can find it here on the little heroes blog page. ✖ click

So I will see you in a few. I hope you guys are staying well and healthy. Have a great day everyone!