A Date at the Fair (Part 2)

Again

With one hand holding her boyfriend’s hand and the other holding the teddy bear that she had won from the shooting game, Yoon Myung Joo happily strolled through the crowd at the fair. There were kids laughing away at the game booths, musicians softly playing music from their stalls, and young couples lounging around on blankets in the grassy areas. As she walked along, she noticed a long line. Her eyes wandered up the line, until she saw the booth at the front with a picture of the Ferris wheel. Behind the booth, the twinkling Ferris wheel shone, sending cascading lights onto the eager and innocent expressions of those in lines. The entire atmosphere felt romantic and intimate, beckoning couples to come and enjoy the sights from up above.

 

Perfect, Myung Joo thought. Ever since she had gotten back with Seo Dae Young, she had been trying to pry into the sensitive, romantic side of him. The side of him that would be willing to hold her hand, kiss her at least an adequate amount of times, and hug her tightly, whether in public or privately. Afterall, they were adults already. Knowing her boyfriend’s personality, Myung Joo knew that he would try to avoid this. Too cheesy, he would say. Too boring, would be his complaint. However, seeing that he was preoccupied with the current surroundings, Myung Joo slowly walked on, eventually inching her way to the back of the line, all while quietly dragging him along.

 

“Wait. What is this line for?” asked Dae Young. Glancing past those in front of him, he saw the picture of the Ferris Wheel. He quickly glanced at his girlfriend, before attempting to walk away to the side. He took one step to the side, and then another step, but then he couldn’t move any further. Looking down, he saw the iron grip of Yoon Myung Joo’s hand. He gulped. Nervously, his eyes traveled to the side...and he made eye contact with a pair of eyes glaring at him. The eyes stayed, until Dae Young’s eyes darted to the other side, in an attempt to escape his girlfriend's death glare.

 

“Where are you going?” asked Myung Joo.

 

“Uh, nowhere. I was going to stay in line.” Seo Dae Young nervously replied. A small smile appeared on Myung Joo’s face.

 

Together, they waited for around 20 minutes. Every few minutes or so, he would sigh, before seeing the piercing glare of his girlfriend from his peripheral vision. He would straighten up and continue to wait in line. Eventually, they made it to the front of the line and they entered the passenger car of the Ferris Wheel...Myung Joo with an excited look, Dae Young with a pained look. As the Ferris Wheel resumed its turning, she Joo let out a small squeal, while he let out an inner groan.

 

The passenger car slowly moved upwards. Despite the cheesiness of the Ferris Wheel ride, he had to admit, the soft, twinkling lights of the sleeping city below further illuminated Myung Joo’s face, giving her an innocent and serene, almost goddess-like appearance. This was an image that if he could, he would stop time and stare at forever. Dae Young quickly whipped out his phone and tried his best to capture the image, so that he could somehow keep it forever.

 

When they finally reached the peak of the Ferris Wheel, the couple stared at the night view in awe. After taking a few pictures of the illuminated city and of themselves, they settled back and just enjoyed the view. While Dae Young was quietly peering out, he heard a quiet whisper.

 

“Can I have a kiss?” Myung Joo softly asked. He turned back in his seat and stared at Myung Joo, who was peering at him with her killer puppy-eyes. A few seconds of silence passed, the atmosphere becoming more and more heated.

 

Suddenly, “Myung Jo...that’s so cheesy! I think you’ve been watching too many movies and dramas. Those kiss scenes are only special because of expensive editing.” Seo Dae Young exclaimed.

 

Myung Joo pouted. “Please, please, please? If you do it, I won’t ask for anything else from now on.”

 

He continued staring at her, and only replied with a short grunt.

 

Myung Joo frowned, before a sly look appeared on her face. “Fine. If you’re not going to kiss me when I ask, I have another idea. When we played that shooting game, I said that whoever loses would have to pay for drinks afterwards. Well, since I won, I will change the rules. Whoever loses would have to kiss the person who won. On the lips. Okay?”

 

Dae Young let out a small cough. “Well...uh…well….actuall-”

 

“Hmmmmmm? Did I hear something? I don’t think so, right Sergeant Seo Dae Young?” asked Myung Joo, while slowly glaring at him once again.

 

“Nope, I didn’t hear anything either” Dae Young quickly replied.

 

Myung Joo closed her eyes, softly pouted her lips, and leaned forward.

 

Secretly wanting to savor the moment, he quickly took another picture of her, and slowly closed the distance, before finally placing his lips on Myung Joo’s. He could smell Myung Joo’s perfume from where he was, the one that she always wore on their dates after learning that he had liked the scent. They stayed that way for quite a while, enjoying the lack of space between them.

 

All of a sudden, fireworks sprang up into the night sky. The sudden, explosive sounds harshly interrupted the quiet atmosphere of the moment, and made Dae Young jump up abruptly in surprise.

 

She giggled. “Wow, is the mighty Seo Dae Young also scared of fireworks too?”

“N-No….” replied Dae Young, quickly clearing his throat. She simply just smiled.  

 

As their passenger car slowly crawled back down, both faces stared out the window. One had a satisfied and amused smile, while the other was a bright, burning, beet red color.


 * Sorry for the long wait! But ahhhhhhhh, was this too cheesy/choppy? >.< This was my first time writing something romantic but also funny. As always, let me know your thoughts, comments, and if you have any ideas for future chapters, please share! ^_^