A Date at the Fair (Part 1)

Again

“Wow, look at that Ferris wheel!”

The twinkling, neon lights of the towering Ferris wheel shone brightly against the dark, night sky, sprinkled with stars.  The atmosphere was lively, with loud, upbeat music drifting through the packed crowd. Seo Dae Young glanced over, and saw the excitement plastered on his girlfriend’s face. He smiled, enjoying the innocent and happy expressions of Yoon Myung Joo.

 

“Do you want anything to eat?” asked Dae Young.

 

“Hmmmm….let’s just get some drinks afterwards. I know a really good bar near here.”  

 

They walked on some more, strolling past the various game booths and food stands.

 

“Come! Come! A shooting game for all ages! Real military guns! No military experience necessary! Only 5 tokens a round!”

 

Interested, Myung Joo glanced over at the booth. “Oh, let’s play that game!”

 

Reminded of the last shooting game he played with Yoo Si Jin, Dae Young hesitantly said, “Eh…..it’s okay. How about some cotton candy from that stall over there?”

 

“Ah, come on. Is the mighty Seo Dae Young scared of losing? You use these guns all the time. I haven’t held one of those big guns in years. You’ll probably beat me, anyways. Please?” Myung Joo asked, making sure to whip out her large puppy-eyes that she knew her boyfriend fell for every time.

 

“… … Fine. Just one round though. My arms are a little sore from the intense training we had this week.” Dae Young glanced cautiously at Myung Joo, hoping his meek excuse would deter her from insisting on more rounds afterwards.

 

“Yes! Loser has to buy drinks later!” cried Myung Joo, before she ran off to the game booth and picked up one of the guns. Sighing, Dae Young followed her, and picked up the gun next to her. Whatever, he thought. If he wins, he’ll be able to keep his pride. If he loses, he would lose his pride, but at least Myung Joo would be happy, which meant that he could live on without fearing for his life when it came to his angry girlfriend. If he kept this optimistic thinking, it would be a win-win situation for him.


 

“We will be starting the game now! Ready? Set……...GO!”

 

The timer of 60 seconds began, and a military song began playing from the tiny speakers surrounding the booth. The mini enemy figurines drifted across the background, some slowly, some quickly, and some appearing erratically. Dae Young gripped his gun tightly and began shooting rapidly. From the corner of his eye, he could see Myung Joo firing away as if she was in the middle of an actual combat. This time, the excitement and intensity in her eyes made Dae Young slightly tremble in fear and so he quietly edged his seat away from her.

 

50 seconds left: Myung Joo - 10 points, Dae Young - 25 points.

 

40 seconds left: Myung Joo - 15 points, Dae Young - 30 points.

 

30 seconds left: Myung Joo - 25 points, Dae Young - 35 points.

 

20 seconds left: Myung Joo - 35 points, Dae Young - 40 points.

 

Dae Young paused briefly and glanced over at Myung Joo’s scoreboard. A sweat broke out on his forehead. Only a difference of 5 points?! He could have sworn he was way ahead of her at the start of the game. Whatever, he was losing precious time panicking. Clutching the gun tightly, he pulled the trigger...but it wouldn’t budge. He pulled the trigger four more times. Still nothing.

 

10 seconds left: Myung Joo - 40 points, Dae Young - 40 points.

 

Myung Joo had caught up to him. Desperately, he cried out, “Sir! This gun is broken! The bullets won’t come out!” No response. The guy in charge of the booth was using his phone and did not hear him.

 

5 seconds left: Myung Joo - 45 points, Dae Young - 40 points.

 

Seo Dae Young looked at the scoreboards, and sighed. Life is hard, he concluded, as he gently placed the gun back on the counter. He would just have to accept his defeat to Myung Joo and hope that she wouldn't ask to play a second time.

 

0 seconds left: Myung Joo - 50 points, Dae Young - 40 points. The sirens on top of Myung Joo’s station flashed and blared obnoxiously.

 

“I won! That means you have to buy our drinks afterwards, okay?” Myung Joo said excitedly.  Dae Young wanted to tell her that it was because his gun broke down ten seconds before the end of the game, but knowing Myung Joo, it was pointless. Besides, she would probably just ask for a second round. So instead, he nodded and smiled at Myung Joo. At least he was lucky to be with his girlfriend this time, and not Yoo Si Jin. Tonight, he would have to cross his fingers before bed and hope that rumors of his defeat wouldn't spread around the military base in the next few days. He would have to kiss up to his girlfriend more in order to prevent that from happening. He glared at the gun. It was all because of that useless, broken gun….


*I tried to make this chapter more light-hearted than the first one, but I'm not really used to writing this kind of genre so hopefully it was okay! I'll be writing the second part soon. Thanks for reading! ^_^ Feel free to leave any thoughts and comments, or ideas for future chapter! :)