one

Next Door

“Hirai Momo! Good morning~” a friend greeted me with a smile on her lips. Sitting in front of me, “How are you?” today was the first day of school, the scariest day in the year. Why? I felt like becoming a stranger again, don’t you think so? But after someone called my name, it’d be like ooh, this is still my school. They still know me.

“Good. How yours?” to be freaking honest, I didn’t even remember her name. In this school, I barely knew someone. My parent was always telling me to go home fast. First of all, because of those courses I needed to take. They said, I wasn’t smart enough for them. They called like two or three teachers for a week. Not to mention that piano teacher.

“Me too. How was your holidays?”

“Quite good.” Nah. It was full of s.

“Really?? Where did you—“ The sound of the door got open, making her turned her head. Such a lucky morning for me, I would like to give that teacher appreciation for today. Even though, yeah. It was history teacher—concurrently as a home-teacher—that definitely had those boring words came out from her lips.

School was like usual, nothing special. Going home was also like usual. Those students who said that they were my friends would wave at me and say, “See you tomorrow, Momo-chan.” and I’d just wave back and smile then sit on the passenger seat on the back since my driver already opened the door for me.

For today course was math. Even though I always managed to get a straight A on the exam—with sleeping in the class, I didn’t pay any attention believe me—they still called this here. I don’t know, suddenly I wanted to slam her head into the water.

My parent only wanted to know that I always attended the courses, school, and else they putted me also those straight As without wanted to know their daughter would feel. They both were busy. Actually, I am not an only child. I had a brother who nowhere to be found now. The last news about him was he changed his name and told me not to tell our parent. Because? You see…

It was eleven in the night. People supposed to sleep this time, but I couldn’t. They were too noisy with those shouts. My mom and dad were fighting again. I didn’t know who won this time. Really, I told you right?

That was one of thousands reasons why my brother disappeared without any trace. Well, he only told me a bit.

For some reasons I couldn’t understand why my mother and father were fighting. Sometimes they were just fighting word to word, or some crashes could be heard and the next morning the evidences already gone. Why? Because my housemaid cleaned it before the dawn. Sometimes I helped too.

I just couldn’t understand why they were like that. They didn’t even have one-table breakfast with me anymore. I just wanted…you know…yeah. And the cycle would rotate again and again.

I stared as I heard those curses and swearing words came from my mother and father’s mouths. How is it nice to have a calm family, when their eyes still on their children. Suddenly, I feel kind of thirsty.

Without making any noise, I opened the door. But of course something is weird.

This wasn’t my hallway to the stair.

It was the front door of my house.