Chapter 58

Caged and Guarded

Jimin had managed to talk Hyunsoo out of trying to find Jinyoung right away and telling him her plan. Although, that didn’t stop her from continuing to talk about it. She was fully determined to use anything to get rid of Sohee from this triangle they were in.

“Don’t you think this will work?” Hyunsoo said, “Jimin, why are you being like this? I thought you would have understood!”

They had just gotten off the bus and had nearly reached Hyunsoo’s house. Jimin turned his head to face her and was just about to give his reply, when he saw Hyejin behind Hyunsoo walking towards Jungkook’s house with the old lady again.

“Uh, Hyunsoo, I think… just, turn around,” Jimin automatically started whispering.

Hyejin must have noticed them both at the same time as Hyunsoo had turned around, because they both locked eyed with each other and stood there until the old lady beckoned Hyejin to follow her into Jungkook’s house. Judging by Hyejin’s expression and behaviour, she was exactly thrilled to be going into that house.

Hyunsoo and Jimin both stared at Jungkook’s house. Both were probably wondering the same thing. Was Jungkook there?

Hyunsoo’s face lit up. “Let’s call this boy.”

She went on her contacts and tapped on the contact ‘Kookie’ to call. Jimin leaned in to hear the phone ringing.

“Hello? Idiot?”

“Idiot? What?”

“Oh sorry, forgot it was you. You’re saved as ‘idiot’.”

Jimin started snickering, and quickly covered his mouth to stop himself after receiving a glare from Hyunsoo.

“I was just wondering where you were Jungkook.”

“I’m… uh, on my way home soon.”

“Soon?”

“Yeah, there was some… something I had to sort out with my parents. It’s done now though, so I’m coming back.”

“Oh ok, and are you busy tonight?”

“Well, I’m not sure…”

“How can you not be sure?”

“What is this about? Why are you suddenly questioning me? Are you aiming to be a lawyer now?”

Jimin let out another snigger, but was quicker to cover it up this time. Hyunsoo put a finger to her lips. Jimin nodded.

“I’m sorry. I’m just wondering, can’t I do that? Maybe I’m making plans for the both of us. You wouldn’t know that, would you?”

“Yeah, whatever, sorry.” Jungkook sighed over the phone. “What are you doing then?”

“I, uh, was walking home just now, when… I noticed that…”

Jimin let out a heavy sigh. “Jungkook, me and Hyunsoo were standing just outside Hyunsoo’s house and then saw Hyejin go into your house! What the hell is that all about?”

Hyunsoo pace palmed and then looked at Jimin as if asking ‘Really? Was that necessary?’.

Jimin mouthed a ‘Sorry’ with a not so apologetic face saying ‘Couldn’t help feeling impatient to find out about Hyejin’.

“Uh, well,” Jungkook said over the phone, “Hyejin’s grandmother and mine are really good friends since forever.”

“What!?” Hyunsoo and Jimin shouted together, and then looked around, surprised by their own volume.

Hyunsoo said, this time with a quieter voice, “You never thought about telling me this?”

“Well, it never came up!”

“That’s your excuse?”

“What else could it be? Am I supposed to tell you everything in my life now?”

“What? Jungkook, what the hell?”

Jimin joined. “Yeah, Jungkook, what the hell!”

“Jimin, hold it for a bit please. Hyunsoo, I don’t know why this is something so important that I had to tell you about. I hardly even ever see her. In fact, she only recently started coming with her grandma, otherwise before she never joined.”

“Well, why is she coming now?”

“I don’t know, but I have nothing to do with whatever she does at my house. I don’t even talk to her! Well, actually, other than offering her tea and biscuits… and deserts that my gran made… and drinks…”

“This isn’t time for jokes, Jungkook. I was just… sorry, I already have a lot to think about and then I kept seeing Hyejin so… I’m sorry. I should get going now. It’s getting cold and we need to do homework.”

“Hey, it’s fine. Hyunsoo, if there’s so much in your mind, you know it won’t hurt to share it sometimes.”

“I know.” Hyunsoo smiled. Jimin shook his head. “But there’s nothing to say right now.”

“If you say so. Goodnight then.”

“Goodnight.”

Hyunsoo ended the call and looked at Jimin. “Should I have told him?”

“About this Sohee trouble? Of course not!” Jimin shook his head again. “There’s a limit to understanding a jealous girlfriend. I think it’s enough for now.”

Hyunsoo looked at Jungkook’s house. “I wish I knew why Hyejin is coming along with her grandma. It’s not like she can do much with them, can she?”

“Except maybe play bingo with them… I don’t know, but I don’t think you should let it get to you too much. Don’t worry about it.”

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

They waved each other off, as Hyunsoo opened her front door