I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong broodily leaned over the railing t­­o take a look at the street. The balcony had a good view of Seoul that had added to the already astronomical cost of his apartment. Namsan tower shone in the distance and he could spot the red crosses of churches scattered throughout the city. It was only after noon and yet department stores could be seen lighted up and Jaejoong once again felt nauseatingly overwhelmed by the Christmas spirit. He turned away from the view. Suddenly feeling angry, he stalked towards his bed and threw himself on it, already dialing a familiar number.

After two rings Yoochun answered. His voice seemed scratchy and quite honestly more nasally than he used to sound when they were in school choir, which was saying something.

“Hello”

“You, bastard!” Jaejoong heard a sound from the phone that indicated that Yoochun had kept the phone away from his ears, anticipating his bellowing. This particular bastard knew him too well.

“Ahhh, Jaejoong-ah. How are you?” Yoochun answered cheerfully, well as cheerfully as he could with his nasal passage almost blocked. Jaejoong scowled, determined not to feel sympathetic no matter how pathetic Yoochun sounded, “I am not fine! I am spending my long weekend alone in this apartment with only the company of my sound because you had to get sick and held up by your mother. I am never going to forgive you!”

Yoochun coughed for whole one minute, and Jaejoong was sure he purposefully dragged it on for the last 20 seconds, “I am sorry dude. But this really isn’t something I can control. What is Yihan doing?”

“Yihan is celebrating Christmas like any normal person living at the prime of his age in Seoul! With his girlfriend! You are the designated loser who is supposed to spend it with me!” Jaejoong complained, while messing up the bed covers and burying himself in them. Seoul’s harsh winter had kept him drowsy for most of the day. But now he was fully awake and staying in bed for even more time was unacceptable.

His luck was such that just before the Christmas his douche ex-boyfriend had to dump him. Well, it was not exactly just before Christmas as such. Okay, it had been six months, but that was hardly enough time to get a new boyfriend, and Jaejoong was extremely picky.

 Yoochun blew his nose irritatingly before speaking in a slightly clearer voice, “Babe, honestly there is nothing I can do about this. I know you feel lonely because it is Christmas and you don’t have a boyfriend, but see? You aren’t technically breaking any traditions with that. Christmas is not a couple holiday. That is just a bastardized version of Christmas that couples in Seoul like to celebrate.” Jaejoong rolled his eyes at Yoochun’s usual preaching of his American ways. “I know you are rolling your eyes, Joongie, but what you should actually have done, and you didn’t is visiting your family on Christmas.”

Jaejoong could just imagine the smug look on his friend’s face.

“You know I can’t go there. My sisters also believe in the ‘bastardized’ version of Christmas. And they are trying to hook me up with Changmin!” Jaejoong’s voice went up in an uncharacteristic shriek at the last name.

“And what’s wrong with Changmin? He has nice legs. Complete model material, that kid is! If I had a sister who knew him and tried to set him up with me, I would do him in no time” Yoochun’s greasy tone had somehow managed to appear in the last sentence, like sunlight that struggles to get to earth on a cloudy day and succeeds for a short moment. Jaejoong wrinkled his nose at the imagery of Yoochun and Changmin doing the nasty.

“What’s wrong with Changmin? Dude, the guy is like a robot. All he does is eat, glare and study maths! Not to mention he is still in College? Who wants to study maths till they are 26 years old! Not normal human beings!”

Yoochun started laughing but ended up coughing. Okay, so now Jaejoong was starting to feel kind of worried. He had full faith in Mrs. Park but he felt uneasy when he was not the one personally giving Chicken broth to a sick Yoochun. That is what he had been doing since they were in College and it doesn’t feel right not to take care of him now, even though Yoochun was in much more capable hands right now. Jaejoong stared out of his window at the Christmas decoration of the people who lived in the complex next to his building. Everyone had tried their best to celebrate the festival with their loved ones, even if their life was fast paced and full of stress that comes with working in Seoul. Tiny apartments, that some saved to buy and some saved to pay rent for ,were filled with laughter and happiness. Couples were probably doing something that they wouldn’t be able to do normally on Christmas since it was a long weekend too. And here he was, nagging at his best friend, who also had better things to do with his time like play video games with his little brother or take rest. When had his life become so pathetic?

After his coughing fit Yoochun started talking again, breaking Jaejoong’s self-pitying discourse, “Why don’t you go see Yunho? He is living right next to you and he told me he is not going anywhere for Christmas.”

Jaejoong’s cheeks darkened and even his King Kong statue seemed to give him judging look. Yunho was his handsome neighbour who had come from America to Korea just couple of weeks ago. He was Yoochun’s classmate in the states and had casually asked Yoochun if there was any good place that he could suggest for him. Luckily for him, the apartment next to Jaejoong had been up for rent for some time then and Yoochun just happened to mention this to Yunho.

Now don’t get him wrong. Jaejoong had nothing against having neighbours. They made life eventful after all. Well, somewhat eventful. And Yunho, being only slighly younger than him, would have been a nice company as a neighbour. But…

Jaejoong rolled some more in his covers and hid his blushing face in the cushion. He was just so… so handsome. Jaejoong had been utterly flustered when for the first time he had opened the door and had come face to face with the Adonis. He was so startled in fact that he had closed the door just a few seconds after opening it without even greeting his new neighbour.
Honestly, he felt like he was in middle school. What was wrong with him? Since that time he had always avoided interacting with his neighbour. By listening at the door to check if he is still around, hiding behind pillars in parking lot , even turning around and running once when he spotted his neighbour in a grocery shop he had managed to stay out of his neighbour's way.

“Jae? You still there” Yoochun asked, after waiting some time for a reply.

“Yes, I am here.” Jaejoong’s answer was muffled but he untangled himself from the covers and sat up properly once again.

“You are suggesting I go and barge in on him on Christmas? I can’t do that, okay! Aish”

“Why not?”, Yoochun asked. “I know that Yunho wouldn’t mind some company and you sure as hell need some distraction right now. Just go and hang out with him.”

“Aish, it is embarrassing okay!” Jaejoong protested, glaring balefully at his crimson painted wall.

He heard Yoochun sigh, “Why is it embarrassing?”

When all he heard was silence from the other side, Yoochun suddenly came to a gleeful conclusion.
“Oh ho ho don’t tell me my Joongie has a crush”

Jaejoong felt the blush spreading to his neck. He rubbed his skin of his neck and glowered at imaginary gleeful Yoochun. “No, I don’t! I haven’t even exchanged a greeting with him. How can I have a crush on him?”

“This is just precious. My Joongie does have a crush. You are only like this with a stranger who isn’t known to have killed a kitten when you have a crush on him.” Yoochun gloated. “He hasn’t killed your cat right?” He asked after a pause, amused. “Is Jiji fine? Or it is just your Jiji being too interested in him?”

“Ugh I knew you would be a bastard even when sick. Unsympathetic selfish bastard that is enjoying your mother’s cooking while I shrivel away in my loneliness.” Jaejoong complained.

Yoochun started to laugh at this remark. Probably thinking he had figured out what Jaejoong was doing and what he was trying to hide; which, honestly, he had. These were the drawbacks of having a soulmate. Yoochun knew him too well since they practically grew up together except for the couple of years Yoochun stayed in the states. Yoochun was the brat that never got too angry at anyone, was always making people around him come out of their shells with his approachable nature. Jaejoong was his neighbour. He had saved Jaejoong from Changmin when the later was in his 'bullying kids in the neighbour' phase. Later, by god’s miracle, he had turned into a nerd and left everyone alone. Jaejoong didn’t trust the kid at all. Yoochun, on the other hand, probably forgot that Changmin was the one that had once made fun of him having no father. Yoochun was just like that. Jaejoong never forgot, and he never forgot how Yoochun stuck by him even if he was the weird kid that always got lost in his thoughts.

“Jae?” Yoochun asked in a softer voice this time. “I know you think it is inappropriate to date so soon after your break-up. But I don’t think you should, in this case. Hyun Joong was a douche. He cheated on you. You need to move on as soon as possible”
Jaejoong twisted a part of the duvet and tugged on it. “It is not that, Chunnie-yah.”

“I know what you are thinking. But you two were not at all happy in the last months of your relationship. I don’t think this will be rebound.” Yoochun cut through his, admittedly unreasonable, explanation. “Besides, you don’t have to commit or anything. At first both of you need to like each other. You could be just friends, not that I am a fan of that idea. I know Yunho is gay and a really nice guy. Therefore, I give you full permission to unleash your deadly charms on him. “Yoochun finished with a greasy smile that Jaejoong could see clearly even though they were miles apart. “Just give him a chance, Joongie. After all, what time is better than Christmas for presenting yourself to a guy who is lonely in this strange city?”

“Why do you have to always ruin it when I am starting to think that you are a good friend?” Jaejoong asked, scowling.

Yoochun gave an ugly ugly laugh and hung up with just a “Good luck, Jae-baby”.
Jaejoong threw his phone across the bed. Yoochun had successfully brought him out of his ty mood. But there was no way he was going to feel thankful to that bastard; not when he had images of him , sitting in front of Yunho like a present with shining eyes like those in anime, and Yunho smirking down at him.

No, real Yunho wouldn’t smirk down at him. He would probably be horrified and call for police. Jaejoong imagined himself in the custody to get rid of his imagination straying towards what Yunho could do to a him.

After a lot of puttering around in his kitchen and pulling his hair, Jaejoong decided that it was about time he introduced himself to his neighbour. Till now his abruptness could be excused as him being busy. Anymore, and Yunho would probably think he is a douche if he didn’t think so already. Yunho was a good friend of Yoochun so it just wouldn’t do to ignorehim  anymore. Especially since Yoochun had indirectly entrusted his friend to him.

Yes, Jaejoong decided, he must go and at least wish Yunho a merry Christmas. He could always make his escape, if something goes wrong, by saying he has a plan with his boyfriend at night. Hopefully Yoochun hadn’t spilled too much about Jaejoong’s personal life to his neighbour.

He took a quick shower and changed into his best casual clothes. Brushing his hair into a coif he preened at his admittedly stunning looking reflection. Jaejoong had been an insecure kid, but as he grew up he had learned that he was far from ugly. It had taken a lot of trying from his friends to make him realise his god given gift. He was still far from vain, but he could no longer deny that he was pleasant looking to the eyes. Especially to the eyes of a gay man. Eyes of a gay man, alone in a completely strange city.

“Aish what am I even thinking/ I am not interested in taking advantage of Yunho’s loneliness. I am not that kind of ert” Jaejoong berated himself as he disturbed his perfectly made hair. Putting on more normal clothes that he normally would wear when going to hang out nearby, he made his towards his neighbours’ house.

All the courage, that he had gained from his talk with Yoochun and later pondering over his responsibilities towards Yunho, vanished the moment he saw his neighbours’ door. How should he greet the man? Wouldn’t it be rude to just randomly drop by after he had behaved so far as if the other man didn’t exist? Now that he thought about it, it was really rude to drop by to someone’s place on Christmas day.

“But Yoochun said he was lonely. So, he won’t have anything to do anything anyway. I should drop by just to make Yunho’s Christmas more Christmassy” He argued with himself.

But what if Yunho had already be-friended someone? Some nice handsome man that fell for Yunho’s amazing looks. That could be possible. Or maybe, like many people who recently move to town, he had hooked up with someone on Grindr and then got addicted to with that guy. What if? What if he was having inside that house right behind that door?

Jaejoong felt his courage slowly leaving him through the soles of his hello kitty uggs. Just as he was about to head back inside his own house, he heard a yelp from the door in front of him. Panicking, he pressed the door bell, his thoughts immediately going to Yunho being stalked home by a homeless ert and being attacked. But then, for one horrified moment, he wondered whether his earlier assumption was true and Yunho was having , really rough , inside. Before he could bolt inside his house, the door was half opened and Yunho’s peeked from behind it. Thankfully, he didn’t look much ed up. Even though his hair was mussed and he had some white stuff on his cheek.

“H-hi! I am Kim Jaejoong. Your neighbour. P-Park Yoochun’s friend?” Jaejoong introduced himself. Deciding to further elaborate on his need of knocking on Yunho’s door, he continued, “He told me you didn’t know anyone in Seoul. So he told me to make you happy. Er I mean he told me to make you feel not. Lonely.” Jaejoong could feel blush spreading all over his cheeks and neck. At this moment he really wanted to melt into a puddle of shame on the floor, or head home and sit in a corner reflecting over his sins.
Before he could do either of the two, Yunho opened the door wider and said, “Hi! I am Jung Yunho” As Jaejoong looked up he could see a wide friendly spread over the other’s face. “Yoochun has told me so much about his soulmate. I really wanted to meet you before, but I figured you would be busy since you always seemed to be in a rush” He continued well naturedly. From what he could see, Yunho probably had no clue that Jaejoong was avoiding him. Jaejoong barely stopped himself from releasing a sigh of relief. He could deal with clueless friendly much better than he could do with the awkward conversation he was expecting.

“All good things I hope?” Jaejoong said with a friendly smile of his own. He could feel his nervousness fading just in the face of Yunho’s smile.

“O-f course of course” Yunho continued. His eyes strayed little to the left and Jaejoong started wondering what the hell Yoochun had  told Yunho that made him lie. He was well versed in the art of eye movements because of the detective shows he had watched, thank you very much. Just before he could start imagining ways to kill Yoochun, his nose picked up the smell of something. He had experienced this smell a lot of times, when one of his sisters would decide that it was about time she showed everyone that Joongie wasn’t as amazing in baking as she could be.

On instinct, he pushed Yunho out of the way and made his way in what he remembered to be his neighbours’ kitchen.

“Aish” He exclaimed at the mess in the kitchen. There was a lot of flour both on the kitchen counter and on the floor. An empty milk carton was abandoned on the counter in horizontal position. A vanilla frosting can looked suspiciously empty, despite the evidence showing that it was opened very recently. But most worrying thing was the smell coming from the oven.

Jaejoong immediately put his baked-goods saviour skills into effect and methodically worked on getting the cupcake pan out of the oven.

One glance at the cupcakes told him that only a little of it could be eaten. Yunho, who had followed him immediately and lingered by the doorway silently observing all this time, hovered next to him now to take a look at his product.

“Is it okay?” Yunho asked in a hopeful voice. It pained Jaejoong to crush his hopes so he said, “Well, I am sorry to have held you up for so long at the door. Some of the cakes are burnt. But we can cut out the unburnt parts I guess.” Yunho’s eyes, which had started to deem at the start of his sentence, lighted up once again.

“Thank god! This is my first time baking anything. I would be happy to get at least some sort of reward from it” He said cheerfully before reaching for the pan without his baking gloves that were currently worn by Jaejoong.

“Aish” Jaejoong scoffed and hit Yunho’s hands. Yunho looked confused for a second before he understood why Jaejoong was scolding him. He gave an apologetic smile while brushing his hand over the back of his neck.

“Sorry, like I said, first time baking anything”

Jaejoong’s heart almost melted at the expression. Yunho was so cute. For some reason he reminded Jaejoong of his cute puppy. Vick was really a cute puppy even though it didn’t seem like that now.

Jaejoong smiled at Yunho, “It is okay. We learn through experiences. Come on let’s see what we can eat out of this”
They both sat at the dining table that seemed to be recently set up. Even the kitchen was mostly bare. Jaejoong hadn’t paid much attention in his haste but if he strained enough he could remember seeing boxes all over the apartment.

While they worked diligently over taking out the unburnt parts of the cupcake, Jaejoong decided to make small talk. “So, you are still unpacking?” He asked quite unnecessarily.

“Yes” Yunho said with a sigh. “Well, I didn’t bring much from my previous home obviously. But I am still buying some stuff and the boxes as you probably saw are mostly unopened.”

“Hmmm” Jaejoong said without looking up from the task. “So what made you decide to make cup-cakes without unpacking?” He asked a minute later just to tease Yunho.

Yunho’s smile was embarrassed as he said, “Umm, My mother always makes these cupcakes. She gave me all the ingredients of them because I loved them so much. Since it was Christmas…” He trailed off without completing his answer.
Jaejoong’s heart twisted in guilt. It was obvious Yunho missed his mother or familiar environment since he was completely alone in this city and probably even country. Jaejoong was not sure Yoochun told him anything about this but he couldn’t remember anything about Yunho ever being in Korea before. Jaejoong could and should have helped him settle down but like a coward he avoided the guy.

“Wow, we are done” Yunho exclaimed, interrupting Jaejoong’s self-loathing musings. They were done. All the pieces of cupcakes that could be salvaged were separated. Yunho had a ridiculously happy grin on his face and he looked impatient to try the cake, but he still offered a piece to Jaejoong out of politeness. Jaejoong laughed at Yunho’s childish excitement and said, “Go ahead. You should have the first bite of your first baking experiment”

Yunho hesitated for a moment before taking a careful bite of the cake.

His face fell as fast as it had brightened when Jaejoong said they could eat some of the cake. It was clear that he just rolled the piece of cake around a little before swallowing it with apparent difficulty.

Jaejoong had experienced this far too many ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter