First Meeting

Beautiful Stranger

She walk slowly step by step while looking down on the street. It is very typical to think that people look down while walking because they have low confidence level in themselves but that is not how it is for Huihui. She looks down while walking because she loves the new shoes that she just got from her sister. It’s that proud feeling an older sister feels when the younger sibling suddenly give something to you. It’s like saying ‘she’s all grown up now’ kind of feeling.

 

Huihui finally decides to look up when she saw a pair of shoes right in front of hers. She looks up to see someone who is taller than her standing in front of her while smiling. He looks oddly familiar but she can’t seem to think of any names with that face. It also amazes her that there are still guys out there who are much taller than her. Most guys are just a bit taller than her because she is considered as tall compared to other girls.

 

Huihui smiles to the guy and slide herself to his right and start looking ahead while walking to her favourite restaurant which is also her friend’s restaurant. Whenever she finishes class, she would go and have her lunch or dinner at the restaurant to meet her friend. Her friend is also a student at Peking University, the university where Huihui attends for her PhD but the restaurant is owned by her parents. Whenever she is not at the university, she’ll be at the restaurant, which is why Huihui always comes to the restaurant to meet her.

 

“Excuse me miss, you dropped this,” The same guy who stopped her just now appeared in front of her again with a small book. She take a look at the book and look at him again. What does he mean by she dropped the book? It’s a children’s book and it’s impossible for her to own it.

 

“I’m sorry, that’s not mine, I don’t have this book,” Huihui said and continue walking.

 

“Oh, maybe you didn’t dropped it, but you left it? The name on it says ‘Huihui’ though?” Huihui turns around to face the guy. How did he know her name and is that really her book? She walk to where the guy is standing while smiling so sheepishly and took the book easily from his hand.

 

“This cute book belongs to me, Zheng Hui Hui. Do not steal it from me Wu Yi Fan!” She looks at him carefully and try to remember if she had ever have a book like that when she was little or if she had a friend called Wu Yi Fan.

 

“Nice to meet you again Zheng Hui Hui!” The tall guy said and smile to her.

 

“So this is really my book? And you’re Wu Yi Fan?” Huihui ask the tall guy and he just nods his head.

 

“Yes I am Wu Yi Fan, or you can just simply call me Kris. I remember you very clearly but you don’t remember the book, and more surprisingly, you don’t remember me?” The guy who just introduced himself as Wu Yi Fan said to her.

 

“How long ago is that? I mean the time when we were friends because honestly, you do look familiar, I just don’t remember you much, that’s all,” Huihui said honestly.

 

“Well, it was probably like 20 years ago? I was 6 when we first met and you were 4. We lived next to each other back when we lived in Guangzhou. We lived next to each other for 3 or 4 years before your family moved,” Wu Yi Fan or Kris said explaining every single thing while walking with Huihui to the restaurant.

 

“That was such a long time ago. How can you remember all of this?” Huihui asks. She can’t remember anything about Wu Yi Fan but she do remember living in Guangzhou before moving to Canada. She can’t even remember how long she lives in Guangzhou before they all moved to Vancouver.

 

“Well, of course I do. They were some great and happy times for me,” Kris said while smiling. This time, Huihui can see his gums when he smiles. He looks sincerely happy while talking about those memories.

 

“Hmm ok then. Nice meeting you?” Huihui said to Kris and stop in her tracked. Kris stopped as well and just look at her.

 

“Aren’t we going to the restaurant together?” Kris asked.

 

“What restaurant? How long have you been following me to know that I’m heading to one?” Huihui asks surprised at what he said.

 

“Well, I’ve seen you around here for a couple of times since last week, so I followed you because I thought you look really familiar. That is why I know where you’re heading to,” Kris said to Huihui making Huihui feeling more nervous. Huihui knows that he meant well since he saw her and followed her because he thought she looks familiar but it still feels weird to know that someone have been following her since last week to know about the restaurant.

 

“Kris, what you said sounded really scary. Yes, I am heading to the restaurant but I really hope you don’t follow me there today. If you want to eat, I wish you can eat somewhere else because I need some time to think about what happened today. You came out of nowhere, dropped a book and pretend that it’s mine. Even though it was mine, but it was a book from 20 years ago. I need more prove than that book. You might just be a creepy stalker even.” Huihui said to Kris. Even though she might come off as rude, she just want to get it off her chest and let him know that she need space at the moment.

 

“Yeah, I understand. I must have been forcing you too much. It’s ok, I’ll go my way but can you please at least give me your number for me to contact you? Or at least your weibo? At least you can check out my weibo. Since the first time I saw you last week, I’ve been sharing a lot of my childhood memories with you on there, with pictures as well.” Kris said to Huihui. Huihui look at Kris one more time and thought about whether she wants to give them those information or not.

 

“Ok, I’ll give my weibo to you but that is just that. I’ll check out your weibo after I go home,” Huihui said to Kris. Kris hands her his phone so that Huihui can look for her own weibo for him to be able to follow her.

 

“Have fun Huihui! See you again some other time!” Kris said after walking away. Huihui feeling embarrassed by how loud he said those words run as fast as she can into her friend’s restaurant. When she enters the restaurant, she greet her friend’s parents and went to where her friend usually sits to study. Sometimes they would help her parents but most of the time, they’d be in the study room together.