This Month

Break Down

Yuna and her friends in campus were reading a brochure. They yelled joyfully and commented the happy news written on it.

There will be a bazaar and some contests…. Guest star: XYB

“Hey, Yuna, won’t you join the modeling contest? You’re in good shape.”

“Eh? Me?” Yuna pointed at herself.

“Yes, you! Don’t forget, there will be XYB! Or maybe… cheerleader contest?”

Yuna laughed bitterly. If they knew what she had done…. She did harshly diets, heavy exercises, and at last… some surgeries. She was sure she deserved it all. She didn’t sure she would join the contest, but she was sure she’d go to see XYB. She was one of the boygroup’s fans. They started their debut three years ago, and she liked them since their first appearance on TV. She also wanted to take their photograph, but… would it possible?

*****

Yuna didn’t join the contest, but she promised to attend the bazaar. The event was held at the City Mall. Her companions had been waiting for her in the gateway. The place was so crowded. Yuna made her way to slip in to the backstage. Unfortunately, some securities didn’t allow her to do so.

“Sorry, kid, you can’t enter this area,” said one of them. Yuna struggled to be in, but her strength surely wasn’t enough to be compared with them. They then started arguing.

“Hey, hey, what’s up?” a young man came.

“She’s going to sneak out to the backstage.”

“Oh,” he glanced at Yuna, “Let her go. I’ll handle with this.”

The boy was Woohyun, one of XYB’s members. He introduced Yuna to the others. He also agreed when Yuna said she wanted their photograph . The day seemed as a happy day for her. She also got the nearest set to the stage so she could see them very well. She hoped the happiness would last longer.

*****

“Mail for you today,” said Chorong. Yuna received the letter happily and read it immediately. Then, her expression was totally changed.

“Do you know who’s the sender?” asked Yuna furiously, but she tried so hard not to rise her tone up. The envelope of the mail was plain; no inscription was there.

“I don’t know.”

Yuna ripped the mail and threw it away. She opened her social-networking account via phone. It took only seconds to know why she was sent such a mail like that. Her photo with XYB had spreaded online (which the members and Yuna herself had promised not to post) made the other fans getting jealous. They–especially the fanatics–disliked her very much. There were bashes and scornful comments everywhere for her. To her great shock was some of them were made by her friends.

‘How can be a bag of plastic grabbing oppa’s attention?’ wrote one of them.  

And then… the mail came every day. They came in various ways, but with the same message: DON’T EVER TRY TO GO ANY FURTHER WITH XYB!! Yuna tried to ignore all of them, and sometimes she succeeded until the other terror came.

*****

She enjoyed a cup of tea and beautiful scenery from the window. The weather was nice. Yuri came to the room and handed her an envelope. At the moment her face turned pale.

It was the same envelope with the others she got recently. The envelope with no name and address. She opened it. There was only a piece of paper, but the words written on it were so hurting her heart like sharpen sword.

“I can’t stand it longer,” moaned her, “no one will understand. No one will help!”

“Don’t give up,” said Yuri–actually she didn’t know what happened.

“Why, oh why me?” she cried.

“Listen, I have a friend who can help. If the mail makes you feeling bad, just look for the sender and report the sender together with the evidence to the police. We’ll hunt….”

“This is not a detective story,” said Yuna cynically before Yuri finished her words. She sat on the edge of the opened window with despair….

“Unnie!!”

*****