Chapter 3

Smoke and Mirrors

Yoongi nodded, (a little too excitedly, not that Jimin minded) and Jimin's face almost split from the grin that spread across it. "Come with me," he prompted excitedly, and led him happily in between two decent sized homes.

 

Before, Yoongi had been too distracted to really even notice the volume of the chanting and laughing, but it now filled his ears and eyes. He was dazed; everything seemed to move in slow motion as they trotted along. However, the sight of happy people talking animatedly, or dancing to melodies being played by smiling musicians; everything held an atmosphere that felt somehow like home.

 

It hit him as Jimin lead him by his hand through the vibrant crowd - this would be the first time in his whole life he'd be in a crowd of people without every single person bowing before him. It was such a refreshing notion, one he was already thankful for.

 

Jimin suddenly stopped them in front of one of the cozy looking homes, and unwound their fingers, turning around to face Yoongi.

 

"Alright, stay here. I'll be back in a moment," he told him, bearing a boyish grin on his slightly dirty face before disappearing through the doorway.

 

Yoongi bit his lip. Anticipation rustled around in him like a tree caught in the wind; he still couldn't quite believe he was doing this, even though he'd been considering it for so long.

 

He swiveled around on his bare feet to look at all of the exuberant people, some chatting loudly, some dancing with a bounce in their steps, some holding hands. Rocking back and forth on his feet impatiently, he felt nerves and excitement under his skin. He had the chance to be one of these people tonight.

 

He suddenly heard a slow creak behind him, waking him from his daze, and he wheeled around to face Jimin standing in the doorway, now holding what looked like slippers in his hands, and sporting red on his cheeks.

 

"Well...this is all that I have," he mumbled, embarrassed but still offering them to Yoongi, who just chuckled softly, accepting them. It was actually endearing, but also an odd thought to him as he knew that at his own home there was any endless number of shoes lying around.

 

"I'm sorry...they don't really match your dress, but your feet will be very warm, and-" Yoongi just placed a finger over his lips, stopping his rambling and making his face turn even redder. "Thank you," he whispered sincerely. "I didn't know you cared about fashion. I honestly don't myself," he teased, and Jimin grinned challengingly.

 

"It looks to you like I care about fashion?" he pointed out, gesturing to his own rather shabby outfit.

 

"Well, that makes two of us, then," Yoongi noted, nodding in amusement. "Thank you though."

 

"You're welcome," Jimin responded as Yoongi stepped away and slightly lifted up the dress to slip on the shoes. Not that he was staring, of course, but he caught a glimpse of Yoongi's tiny legs underneath the fabric, and his chest tightened.

 

She's so small, he thought. It's adorable.

 

Suddenly, a low voice sounded loudly from a little ways away, startling Yoongi to the point of him almost falling forwards. "Park Jimin!" They both turned their heads, quickly spotting a brunette male jumping up and down and waving rather obnoxiously. Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows, standing straight again. Was this a friend of Jimin's?

 

"Where have you been? The girls all want to dance with you, you blithering idiot!" he yelled, and that was when Yoongi noticed all the giggling females surrounding him.

 

Jimin glanced over at Yoongi, (with what looked like apprehension on his face, the older noticed) and then back at his apparent friend. "That's Taehyung," he informed him, leaning over and murmuring close to Yoongi's ear though they were far away. Yoongi just nodded slowly. "Apparently he wants me to dance with these girls. I would decline, but...maybe you'd like to dance as well?" he offered, a twinge of hope in his low tone.

 

Yoongi processed the question, and thus began to panic. All of those years of carelessly ignoring his dance lessons at the castle had finally come back to bite him in the arse. Damn it. First, he'd literally ran directly into Jimin, and now this.

 

He cursed himself internally, but nonetheless turned and gave him a nod, trying to seem pleasant. Jimin smiled triumphantly, and started walking towards Taehyung and the girls, Yoongi in tow. He felt a little guilty, actually.

 

Park Jimin, prepare to be disappointed.

 

"Okay, who's first?" Jimin asked as they reached the others, trying not to sound too reluctant as he faced the small crowd of girls.

 

Uh oh.

 

Yoongi rushed desperately over to hide himself behind the group just as several of them squealed, "Me!"

 

Jimin rolled his eyes - so subtly that only Yoongi noticed, in fact - and picked a small girl with short brown hair at the front. The girl skipped forward as all the others groaned, and when she reached Jimin they put their hands in place, Yoongi all the while trying to push away the irritated feeling it gave him.

 

Jimin then began to lead the dance perfectly to the rhythm of the ongoing music, and he maintained a charming expression as the girl smiled and made small noises of delight every time he would spin her around. Yoongi frowned, looking away from them, and back, and away, and back, torn between not wanting Jimin to dance with her, and not wanting Jimin to dance with him either.

 

After a minute or two of the girl having far too much fun, and Yoongi being far too bothered as he watched, another girl stepped forward, seamlessly switching with the previous one. Definitely surprised, Yoongi could tell this was not the first time that they'd done this.

 

Every so often, Jimin would switch girls, without a single hitch in his skillful step. It had a routine-like feeling about it, but he could also see that Jimin was extremely talented; perhaps even enough that he could have done this just as well even if they had never done it before.

 

Gradually, the crowd shortened down to just him, and it was far too soon. His heart was pounding, and he could feel his hands shaking. He was going to make a legendary fool of himself, he just knew. The one time in his life that he met a really genuinely sweet person on his own, he was going to make a fool of himself right in front of him.

 

Jimin let go of the hands of the last girl, and Yoongi felt himself crumbling inside and out, but despite that, he boldly stepped forward and slipped his fingers through Jimin's.

 

The much more experienced dancer slowed down briefly this time, and then began to step around in that pattern that Yoongi had never cared to understand.

 

And immediately, he was stepping on his feet.

 

"Sorry," he forced out worriedly, trying to slow his heartbeat so Jimin couldn't feel it through their contact. He was so close, so warm pressed up against him, and though he was nervous and embarrassed, there was something lovely about it.

 

"It's alright," Jimin beamed calmly, spinning Yoongi around, who quietly drew in a startled breath. It was clumsy, but their chests did come back together, and the younger let out a particularly loud yelp as Yoongi stepped down on his foot again, hard this time.

 

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry!" he gasped guiltily, wishing he could just disappear.

 

But against his expectations, Jimin just broke out into a sunshine filled laugh, the moonlight perfectly complimenting his cheekbones. Yoongi stared in confusion for a moment before he began to feel something light and fluttery in his chest. His nerves seemed to melt away then, though his rapid heart rate remained. Was he making a fool of himself? Yes. Did Jimin mind?

 

No.

 

Their eyes were locked, Jimin's grin all too contagious, and something about it put them both in a trance. They hadn't even noticed how much time they'd spent just messily twirling and stepping together, and so it was a shock when Taehyung's voice rang through their little bubble of enchantment.

 

"Alright, lovebirds, you don't have to carry on forever," he scoffed, though his tone remained friendly. They slowed to a stop, turning their heads to stare blankly at Taehyung. Yoongi realized in that moment that Taehyung was now standing alone, the girls long gone.

 

"Well, are you going to introduce me to the little beauty or not?" he questioned, gesturing to Yoongi who looked down at the ground in embarrassment.

 

Jimin rolled his eyes. "You have Jungkook. Keep your hands to yourself," he bit out, looking and sounding about as cross as he could look and sound when it involved his best friend.

 

"Feisty, are we? I'm not planning on leaving my partner or having an affair, for your information. I was simply giving a compliment. Being polite - ever heard of it?"

 

Jimin just ignored the retort, pushing away the instinct to be bitter and instead putting his hands on Yoongi's shoulders, which made a small shiver run through the older's body. "This is Yoona, Taehyung," he told him, and Yoongi noticed how quickly his voice had softened again.

 

He tried his best to smile kindly at Taehyung, but it came out a little crooked. Luckily, Taehyung knew a thing or two about people, and could tell he was only trying his best.

 

"You're not from around here, are you?" Taehyung guessed, a sympathetic look in his eyes, and Yoongi shook his head slowly. "She's lovely. I'm sure you two will be the couple that everyone else just envies."

 

Yoongi almost choked on his own spit.

 

"Couple? Don't be silly Taehyung, I only met her a little while ago," Jimin laughed, not seeming either bothered nor flustered by the suggestive remark.

 

Taehyung just shrugged. "Alright. I guess I'll just wait, then," he said pointedly, turning around and walking away without another word.

 

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" Jimin called after him playfully, but the words were completely ignored, only met with a wave that Taehyung threw out beside him without even turning around. Jimin shook his head fondly, combing his rather dirty fingers through his messy brown hair. Amused, he turned back to Yoongi.

 

"Excuse him," he said, but Yoongi just shook his head, hoping the dimness of night was hiding how red his face had become. Luckily, the younger didn't notice in the slightest, too wrapped up in a warmth that Yoongi was very unfamiliar with. The sound of the music and the people around them had suddenly occurred to him again, filling his senses, and he felt like he was tumbling down from a fantasy.

 

"What else would you like to do?" Jimin asked, and Yoongi thought his voice blended well with the music. Sweet, cheerful. It took a moment for the question to even register, and when it did, he racked his brain. He'd read things that people did for fun in books, but he was always in the castle, and didn't really know much about them. He thought back to a scene in one of his personal favorite books, in which a group of guys go out together and...

 

"We could go drinking," he suggested, trying his best to sound nonchalant and just like any other normal person. However, Jimin looked almost shocked for a moment, raising an eyebrow at him, and Yoongi thought that he'd said something wrong, but then the other just chuckled.

 

"What is it?" Yoongi muttered in confusion, clearly not as amused as Jimin. The younger male simply shook his head fondly.

 

"You seem different from other girls," he commented, and for a second Yoongi was afraid he'd been seen through.

 

"I think...I like it," Jimin finished with a little nod, and Yoongi sighed softly in relief.

 

"Anyways, let's go get drinks," he declared, turning himself in the right direction. Yoongi followed the leader, and they were off, leaving the music and laughter behind.

 

*****

 

Yoongi somehow managed to pick up both large glasses with his small hands, and the dress flowed out slightly as he spun around to hand one to Jimin. "Thank you, malady," he joked, bowing incredibly low and almost spilling his drink in the process. Yoongi smiled, rolling his eyes. "Of course, sir. But please refrain from spilling the drink you just spent your money on."

 

Jimin popped back up, looking Yoongi in the eye. "As you wish, mistress," he replied sarcastically. "So, where do you want to sit?" he asked, eyes scanning around for an ideal place. Yoongi turned around to look, and without thinking, took Jimin's hand and led him to a few seats at the end, void of any disturbance (though the place was already fairly empty; most people were outside).

 

"You have good taste," Jimin remarked, having trouble getting up into the chair, which was annoyingly high off the ground. "In what, places to sit?" Yoongi jokingly queried as he watched him, amused.

 

"I suppose," Jimin responded with a grunt as he made it completely into the chair. "And other things," he added. Yoongi just shrugged, then proceeded to struggle through getting up on his chair as well, especially with the dress hindering him, and he heard Jimin laughing at him almost vengefully. "Yeah, yeah, we're both short," he grumbled irritably as he settled into the seat.

 

Jimin picked up his glass, taking a huge gulp. Yoongi hesitantly followed, trying a sip and squeezing his eyes shut at the burn of the liquid as it ran down his throat. Jimin set his glass down again as Yoongi tried to get used to the rather eye-watering taste.

 

"So, where do you come from?" he asked, trying to strike up conversation. Yoongi first put his glass back down, but froze up for a second as he realized what Jimin had asked him. His heartbeat picked up, and his face began to turn red again, like it did when he was anxious.

 

"Oh, nowhere that you would know, most likely," he forced out, throat feeling rather sore from the drink, and his watery eyes on the bar where his fingernails scratched lightly at the wood.

 

Luckily, Jimin let it go without much of a second thought. "I understand. Our town is the same way. Though we're so close to the castle, many people have never heard of us," he explained, staring out into the tavern.

 

"I see," Yoongi responded, trying to think of another subject to swivel the conversation to.

 

"Have you met the king and queen before?" Jimin questioned curiously. "I'd hope you were also somewhere close to the castle. That is, because I don't want you to have to walk very far when you return home."

 

Yoongi paused, considering how much of the truth he should tell Jimin. The last thing he wanted was to be risky, in his position. But he also didn't want to lie any further. This whole situation was going to be a bit more difficult than he'd previously thought.

 

He didn't realize how long he'd been thinking until he noticed the weird look that Jimin was giving him, and he swallowed quickly and blurted out an answer.

 

"I've met them."

 

He immediately cursed himself.

 

Why did I tell him that?

 

"Really? Were they nice?" Jimin questioned excitedly.

 

"They're very kind people."

 

"Have you met the prince as well?"

 

"I...yes," he answered nervously.

 

"He must have been lost for words when he first saw you," Jimin told him, his tone turning momentarily solemn. "I would bet he blushed red as a ripe tomato. Stuttered too," he described, his voice cheery again as he gestured enthusiastically with his hands. He scooted himself around in his chair so he was facing Yoongi.

 

"Why m-miss. It's a pleasure to meet you," he breathed, widening his eyes and doing the best bow that he could while sitting down. "I bet you that's what he did," he concluded, breaking character again.

 

Yoongi laughed, shaking his head and looking down wistfully to the surface of the bar again. "Not exactly. I don't...think he likes me so much. But he's a rather cold person, so it's difficult to tell," he explained slowly, a sense of regret rushing through him.

 

"Is that so? Shame," Jimin replied, turning himself back around and picking up his glass to take another drink.

 

"So, what about you?" Yoongi asked, changing the subject.

 

"About me?" Jimin asked, and Yoongi nodded.

 

"Well, I love to read. I'm one of the only ones around here that can, actually," he told him, and Yoongi's face lit up. And just as he thought that Jimin couldn't have been more perfect.

 

"So do I," he gushed, smiling enthusiastically. Jimin could see the pure delight in his face, unmistakable. "My favorite book is Just One Day."

 

"That one's one of my favorites! I'd say my very favorite is Autumn Leaves, though," Jimin added.

 

"Once, a year or so ago, I accidentally read all day without eating a thing. Stupid of me," Yoongi remarked, shaking his head at the memory with a grin.

 

"I can understand that. It honestly sounds like something I would do. Although, I think I do a lot of fairly...dumb things."

 

"For example?"

 

"Well, there was a time I was setting up for the festival - we actually have quite a lot of them here. Anyway, I was putting torches out, and somehow I managed to set the grass on fire. Probably the worst thing I've done to date."

 

Yoongi gaped over at him. "Seriously?" he gasped, and Jimin nodded, still cringing even years later. There was a moment of silence in which they stared at each other and Yoongi tried to seal his lips tightly, but before long he couldn't hold it in anymore and burst out laughing, Jimin joining him quickly.

 

"Don't laugh at me! I could have died!" he accused teasingly through guffaws, and Yoongi just shook his head, covering his mouth with his hand. When they finally calmed down, (mainly because the tall, somewhat brooding man behind the bar shushed them) Yoongi was wiping tears away.

 

"I guess we both have had strange things happen to us," he said, sounding somehow entertained by the thought.

 

"You know...we should tell each other stories. About the things that have happened to us, and things we've done," Jimin suggested warmly, pulling his legs up childishly onto the chair.

 

"Okay," Yoongi agreed brightly.

 

---

 

This chapter got kinda long

 

I had a tragic mishap with it earlier actually, but now it's finally up, yess

 

I honestly love it - bless fluffy yoonmin omfg. See you soon! c: