Chapter 2

Smoke and Mirrors

Perhaps...

 

He hurried as quietly as he could down the hallway, destination in mind. He knew that his parents would be asleep now; they rarely were awake past the time when it grew dark as a way of getting enough sleep to wake up first thing in the morning. Making maximum use of the daylight was something he himself did not care about, and so he made his way through the halls without much worry in his mind. Yet there was a slight gnawing feeling in his stomach. This was wrong. Or was it? And even if it was, did he truly care?

 

Soon, he reached a room in which his mother kept old things that she held onto for sentimental reasons. He knew, beyond a doubt that there would be dresses; she loved fashion, and had always wished for a daughter that she could make beautiful, but Yoongi was her only child.

 

He entered, surprised slightly by the size of the room. She had many, many things of material value, more than he possibly could have realized. An old wardrobe stood proudly up against the wall farthest from him, and a grin curled his lips in satisfaction. This had to be it.

 

He padded up to it happily, though not too quickly as to not drop the candle he had picked up earlier; knowing his mother, this room had been bound to be a black hole. As he opened up the doors slowly, his smile widened. Here they were; his mother's old dresses. After one quick glance over them, he set the candle down on the ground so he could begin to look more thoroughly.

 

He didn't exactly want to wear one of the more formal ones, but the majority of them were less formal anyhow considering they were from before she had become queen. His fingers brushed over a particular pleasant mauve dress that caught his eye more than the others. Slowly, he pulled it from its confinement, and he noticed the fabric felt nice in between his fingers.

 

Without even thinking, he slipped out of his clothes, including his boots, and stepped into the dress. It was a bit of a strange fit, but it was loose, and actually more comfortable than he'd been expecting.

 

When he was settled into the dress, it occurred to him that there was something else. Something missing. He pondered for a moment.

 

Then it hit him. Makeup. His eyes scanned closely around every part of the room. It had to be in here somewhere. He began to search through chest after chest, cursing the amount of them in the room. How could his mother even have so many of them? Saying she'd been granted with a crazy amount of possessions was almost an understatement.

 

Finally, he came across a chest containing what looked to him like makeup. Of course, perhaps he was wrong about this, but he was not going to eliminate any plausible possibilities. Not in his position. He emptied all of the contents, inspecting everything for its potential use.

 

Suddenly, he heard soft footsteps, and his breath hitched. He froze as the the door began to creak open. Who would it be, at this hour?

 

Somehow, the last person he expected was the wavy haired maid from earlier that day. A wave of relief washed over both of their expressions, which quickly changed to confusion. They stared at each other for a good while before Yoongi broke the silence.

 

"Why are you wandering around this late?" he asked quietly, but shook his head quickly after. "You know what, I don't care. Can you help me with something?"

 

She nodded, trotting over to kneel beside him curiously. "Why are you dressed like that?" she questioned shyly.

 

"Disguise." She just nodded in understanding once more, not bothering to pry, and so he continued, gesturing to the collection of things laying on the floor in front of him. "Can you help me put on makeup?"

 

"Sure," she whispered, diving straight in. Of course, she wondered why exactly he needed to be disguised at all, let alone why he'd go to the trouble of dressing up as a girl, but for then, she just left the subject alone. Soon enough, Yoongi's complexion was paler, but with endearingly rosy cheeks, and vibrant, shiny lips.

 

"You make a beautiful girl," she complimented brightly, proud of her work. With an awkward but grateful smile, he muttered a, "Thanks." As he was about to swerve his gaze to the floor, she got up onto her feet all of a sudden, and he turned his head curiously as she tiptoed over to open up yet another chest in the corner - one that he hadn't looked in.

 

He raised an eyebrow slowly as she pulled out a wig that was a similar blonde to his natural hair color, turning around to take it enthusiastically back to him.

 

"How did you know that was there?" he questioned cautiously.

 

"I've been in here before to clean. One day, I was just looking in a couple of chests and found it. I don't know what it was for, but it's yours now," she told him as she put it on his head, tucking the shorter strands of his soft hair out of sight.

 

He looked expectantly up at her as she examined him with the wig on. Her eyes were observant, and he felt a little embarrassed under the stare, but he knew she was only trying to help. "I think I'll braid some of it, if you don't mind," she remarked, and he just nodded as she shuffled on her knees behind him.

 

A slight flinch shook him as he felt her nimble fingers tug and wind the false blonde hair together tightly, careful not to pull the wig off of his head. It didn't take long, and soon she was smiling down at her work in satisfaction.

 

"There," she announced with finality, backing away to get a better view of the medium sized braid that wrapped around the back of his head, leaving the rest of the blonde locks flowing down his small shoulders. She came back around to face his front again. "It turned out nice," she told him proudly.

 

He began to show off girly poses, asking "How do I look, then?"

 

She giggled. "Like the prettiest girl I've ever seen."

 

He stopped, and smiled back at her, wishing perhaps that he had taken a chance to talk to her a long time ago. That's when he realized something."I never asked for your name," he thought out loud, with a soft, expectant expression.

 

Her eyes brightened as she told him, "Minah."

 

He patted her on the head affectionately. "Glad to make friends with you, Minah," he told her. The moon's position in the sky through the window caught his eye just then, and he hopped up onto his feet.

 

"I have to go. I don't have too much time. Thank you, Minah," he added.

 

She nodded happily. "Any time you need me, I'm here," she gushed, bowing quickly and beginning to clean up the mess that had been left in the room.

 

He gave a little wave before promptly making his way out into the halls. Luckily, he'd thought many times about sneaking out, and already had a plan in mind. He ran, only then realizing he was completely barefoot, and also that he didn't really care. Anything was fantastic if he didn't have to wear those boots he wore normally.

 

He reached his room, rushing in as quietly as he could, and then dashing over to the window. Before putting his plan into action, though, the thought crossed his mind that bringing a cloak would be a good idea. It would help to hide him a little better, and would be smart in case even a summer's night might become a little chilly. He ran over and grabbed one from the wardrobe that stood in his room, slipping it on over his arms and body.

 

Then, he finally came to the window and opened it. This was a chance for him to go out and have another life, one away from being a prince. He would come back before sunrise, though; he promised himself.

 

He would be back.

 

Holding onto one of the crooked stones making up the castle to position himself, he climbed out, hopefully leaving any doubtful thoughts behind. The stones were so uneven, he was positive he could climb down them as easily as a ladder.

 

And he did just that, climbing down quickly as if it were nothing. His bare feet hit the grass, cool from the evening air and a beautiful shade of dark blue-green under the moonlight. He smiled out at the crisp, cool night as he picked up the dress so he wouldn't trip, and ran down the hill, wind blowing the lovely long strands of hair that weren't his behind him.

 

He was aware of a pleasant village very close to here; he went with his parents when they had their annual visit to different settlements around the land they ruled. His feet carried him quickly along through the rolling hills, where only the occasional tree could be seen. Before he knew it, he heard sounds that awoke a newfound passion in his heart.

 

He heard laughter. He heard music.

 

Still panting and trying his best not to jump for joy (as he knew he would most likely fall, taking the dress into consideration) he ran towards the sounds, his heart beating even faster than before when he began to see the outlines of buildings as he came over the hill that had been blocking the view. He didn't slow down, in fact, he increased his speed until he was almost there.

 

He increased his speed so much that he barely even looked where he was going, which he soon assumed, as he fell, was the reason for that sudden collision. His breath was completely knocked out of him as he hit the ground, and his head spun, dazed by the impact. It took him several moments to collect himself, and several moments more to realize he had someone pressed up against him.

 

"Are you alright?" a sweet voice asked, and Yoongi found himself laying face to face with the most beautiful man he'd ever seen in his life. The man's face was concerned at first, but  when Yoongi nodded in affirmation, a smile spread across his lips.

 

He ran one hand through his dark chocolate brown hair, and his pupils disappeared as his eyes crinkled into joyful crescents. "Please excuse my being in your way, miss. I really hope that I didn't hurt you," he told Yoongi gently, taking his hand and bringing it up to his mouth to place a polite kiss on it.

 

Yoongi stared, and he knew, oh god, he knew his face was a shade as red as blood despite the pale makeup that Minah had applied there. He knew his mouth was hanging open, he knew he was staring, but he just couldn't get it together. He settled for smiling shyly back, getting lost in the man's features.

 

"Well, that's one way to meet new people," the man giggled, and Yoongi felt a warm fondness developing in his chest, laughing silently with him. "Okay, let's just...pretend I didn't knock the air out of you just now. I'm Jimin," he told Yoongi brightly. "And what might your name be?"

 

Yoongi froze. It finally hit him in that moment that he couldn't speak. Why this had not occurred to him until now, he did not know. What he did know was that his voice was deeper than the nearest ocean, and hell if anyone wasn't going to notice that it didn't sound like that of a lady.

 

His mind scrambled frantically for a solution, and grasped feebly onto an idea that was quite frankly pathetic in his mind, but it was something, and something was all he needed.

 

"Yoona," he whispered in a somewhat high pitch, leaning in closer.

 

Jimin nodded, his face glowing with approval. "I like that name. It's pretty," he murmured back, copying Yoongi's hushed tone. Since he still had the blonde's hand in his, he stood up, helping Yoongi onto his feet as well. It was then that Jimin noticed Yoongi wasn't wearing any shoes.

 

"Aren't your feet cold?" he asked. Yoongi hadn't really thought about it until then, but it was true. The lack of shoes in the cool weather was started to make them feel cold.

 

"A little," he admitted, glancing down at them.

 

Jimin raised an eyebrow, curious. "Why are you whispering, Yoona?" he asked, keeping his voice quiet as if any louder volume might scare Yoongi away.

 

The older's face fell a little, and if he could have seen his expression, he would have commended himself on his acting. "My voice is damaged. I can't speak above a whisper."

 

A look of sympathy crossed Jimin's eyes, and Yoongi knew that he had him fooled. "Oh, I'm sorry," he told him solemnly, and Yoongi felt a touch of guilt at the truly apologetic tone in his voice. Jimin glanced back at the buildings behind him. "Why don't you come with me? I can get you some shoes, and you can stay and have fun with everyone. The festival is happening now, you know," he said, changing the subject.

 

And to a sweet, gorgeous boy that already seemed to hold so many adventures, how could Yoongi say no?

 

---

 

I really like this chapter actually oml. Yoongs and Minah have a cute friendship already and sweet lil angel Jimin has been introduced :') Happiness is real.

 

Hope you liked it ~ See you soon! c: