Solar Eclipse

Illuminate

The first time Andy met Shin Hyesung, he was all crinkled smiles, bright eyes and pretty features. Andy had stared at him through his tear filled eyes and wondered if his sun would have burnt brighter if this man was still by his side. He saw Dongwan's reflection in the glass, saw how his eyes sparkled despite the sadness that was so obviously there and his vision blurred even more.

Andy hadn't known what he expected when he asked Dongwan for his name. He didn't understand why he asked in the first place. Did he think the name would ring a bell? Would it really matter? He realized after though, way after, that the name did matter because it had once been a part of Dongwan and it still was, etched into the veins of Dongwan's beating heart like a tattoo. Andy still hoped that there was still room for him somewhere.

Everything wasn't okay, far from it, but they would be okay in due time and that was all they needed.

Things were different after that. They were Andy and Dongwan a few days ago, Andy and Dongwan and lame jokes and teasing and alcohol. They were still Andy and Dongwan a few days later, Andy and Dongwan and lame jokes and teasing and alcohol but with more vulnerability and honesty and openness. He finally noticed how broken Dongwan had been all this time, his perfectly constructed walls around him were built so well, no one could see it unless they looked closely enough. Andy had learnt all the things about Dongwan that he couldn't the last three months like his passion for photography, his need for adventure, his love for stars, all the things he stopped doing because they reminded him too much of Hyesung.

Dongwan would still stare at the picture often,  smiling as he recalled every memory and moment spent together and then like a roller coaster would drop, his eyes would turn sad and his smile would disappear. Andy had watched this unfold countless times but no matter how many times he would see it, his heart would still ache both for Dongwan and himself. He wanted nothing more than for his sun to burn as brightly as Minwoo once said he did.

Andy was pacing outside Dongwan's front door weeks later, nervous and unsure. He could very well be overstepping his boundaries and Dongwan could shut him out forever, but there was also a chance it could make Dongwan happy and that mere 20% chance was what pushed Andy to stumble forward and press the door bell. The door opened a few seconds later with a familiar tune accompanying it as Dongwan popped his head out the door and stared wide eyed at an overdressed Andy.

"Andy ah? What are you doing here at 5 in the morning?"

"I'm here to take you out"

"Out?"

"You'll see"

Andy started slow, taking Dongwan hiking once every week, relieved that each time Dongwan would seems more eager, more relaxed. He bought him a telescope a month later(to protests of "what is this? I can't take this. Its too expensive. Why?"), in hopes that maybe at night, when the sun was down, he could take the light of the stars and shine as brightly as he did during the day. And maybe, just maybe, Dongwan would see in the night sky what Andy saw every day in his eyes.

Andy wasn't trying to replace the memories of Hyesung. He would always, always leave them untouched, avoided the mountains they had set foot on, stayed away from places they had visited.

And every day, as Dongwan's smile grew brighter and wider, Andy would think 'This is all so worth it' even if Dongwan would never return his feelings.

He had slipped up one day simply because he couldn't take it anymore. Andy had been sitting comfortably on the moist grass as Dongwan played with his drone, smiling at the beauty of nature from a different perspective and had called Andy over to watch. He hadn't meant for it to come out but seeing the earnestness and burning passion in Dongwan's eyes set him a flame and he uttered those complicated three words.

"I love you."

Dongwan had almost dropped his controller in shock and Andy would have laughed if the situation wasn't so intense.

"What?"

"I just needed you to know."

"Andy ah"

"It's okay if you don't feel the same. I'm not asking you to. I just...I just needed you to know. That's all."

"Andy, I just...I don't think...I'm not ready."

Andy smiled sadly, "It's okay. Come on, it's time for us to go."

They never spoke about it again.

It was 6 months into his "mission", 2 months since his confession when he noticed something was different. Dongwan would cling onto him more, his hands would linger on Andy's arm longer and soft eyes would stare back at him, looking at him, really looking at him. The increased skinship was obvious, not at all subtle and everyone had noticed. Eric would stare at them weirdly, Junjin would glance at them with a mischievous smirk and Andy, Andy was just confused. He had noticed the changes gradually, from casual touches to full out hand holding and while sure they were nice, he had no idea what they meant.

He had found his answers later, on Dongwan's living room floor of all places, staring up at the night sky through the telescope.

"Hey Andy?"

"Mm?"

"Remember when you said you love me?"

Andy wanted to say 'How could I forget' but he settled with, "Yeah."

"I'm ready."

Andy swore he could feel his heart literally skip a beat. He in a breath and stared at Dongwan expectantly, waiting for him to do something, say something, take it back maybe but Dongwan was looking at him so openly and honestly that Andy couldn't bring himself to believe that he was lying.

Seconds passed in silence before Dongwan let out a frustrated sigh.

"You idiot do I have to initiate this for you?"

"Initiate wha-" Andy's eyes fluttered closed as Dongwan's lips met his in a kiss. It wasn't all perfect but that's what made it real for Andy. The slow movement of passion that carried the weight of intense feelings all in one touch. And in time to come, Andy could always tell everyone his first kiss with Dongwan was under the stars, no matter how technically untrue it may be. Wasn't the telescope enough?

And afterwards, after everything was said and done, Andy told Dongwan what he should have in the first place.

"You know, I call you my sun in my head, one that burns bright like a ball of fire. Because that's what you are to me."

Dongwan laughed at that and wow how was this real. It hurt a bit to stare at his sun because of how bright he was right now and Andy supposes his mission was complete, because this was the brightest he had ever seen Dongwan.

"Does that mean you're my moon?"

"But the sun and moon are always far apart."

A pause.

"Then we can be a solar eclipse"

And Andy collapsed in laughter.

The second time Andy met Shin Hyesung, he was all crinkled smiles, bright eyes and pretty features, all the same as he was the last time Andy saw him but this time through clearer, non tear-filled eyes. Andy stared at him with a soft smile on his face as he gently placed the flower he had in his hand down in front of the portrait.

"I'll take care of him. I promise."

Even with all of Dongwan's lame jokes, his nagging and his annoying habits, Andy didn't mind one bit because in the end, he got to hear the words "I love you" for the first time, from the most important person.

His sun.

 

--------------------

A/N: i might add on a third part or a separate story on its own as a sort of sequel which will be about how Dongwan and Hyesung met and got together. You can contact me on twitter @wantdeng or tumblr onlywan.tumblr.com