If only you were my sun

Illuminate

The first time Andy met Dongwan, he was all smiles, laughs and lame jokes. He remembered thinking "is this what the sun feels like up close?" Dongwan had taken him under his wing easily and Andy had hoped, had hoped with all his heart that maybe one day the sun would be his, wrinkles and all. Dongwan was patient, so, so patient even through all of Andy's messing around.

Dongwan loved spoiling him endlessly and every time Dongwan opened up his wallet, Andy would see it. Tucked neatly in one of the pockets of Dongwan's wallet, worn out yet still beautiful, was a picture of a man with pretty features, a bright smile and eyes filled with so many emotions. Sometimes, when he thought no one was looking, Dongwan would stare at it with a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips, so soft and loving. Andy was upset, not because he was sure that person was someone immensely important to Dongwan (okay maybe a little), but 3 months of friendship and Dongwan had never mentioned anything to him. Maybe 3 months of friendship wasn't important enough to Dongwan. So he tried to distance himself.

Every ignored call and rejected offer to hang out felt like a step away but every time he saw the sad look on Dongwan's sad puppy face felt like a punch to the face. And Andy was sorry, so sorry but it was the only way his feelings would go away.

It didn't.

The times Dongwan managed to drag him out of the house, he would catch himself smiling at every lame joke and he would still melt under the heat of his sun. But he tried. Andy was nothing if not resilient and every time he saw Dongwan looking at the picture, he was reminded of why he just couldn't.

They had an argument about it. Dongwan, who had been so, so patient, finally had enough. He had noticed, of course he noticed. Everyone noticed. Eric had asked him to "fix the puppy. His sad puppy dog eyes are getting annoying." Even Minwoo had asked him what was wrong. So he told him, told him everything except for the part where Andy might be a little, a lot in love with him and Dongwan had laughed, actually laughed but there was a pain behind it that Andy couldn't place.

"You idiot. Have you actually seen him before? Have you ever seen him with me?"

Andy stayed quiet, thinking, and then slowly shook his head.

Dongwan wordlessly took hold of his hand and dragged him out the door, deaf to his protests and questions of "what are you doing? Where are we going?" He shoved him unceremoniously into his two seater car and drove off. Dongwan was quiet beside him, reserved and it was so unlike him. His usually smiling face was stuck in a frown, more tired and sad than angry. Even then, he radiated warmth and Andy couldn't help but think "if only you could be my sun".

When they arrived at their destination, Andy recognized the place immediately. It was where his grandmother lived. He visited her a lot, twice a month usually, but he had been so caught up in himself these last few months that he hadn't had the chance to visit her at all so this was a surprise. He was sure he hadn't told Dongwan anything about his grandmother.

Dongwan was dragging him again, into the building this time and across from the place he was sure his grandmother was, stood a portrait, standing comfortably in front of a pot with beautiful pink flowers laid down around it. Andy recognized the picture because it was the same one he had seen in Dongwan's wallet, only bigger to fit the size of the gold frame it stood in. It was then that Andy finally undestood as he recalled the longing and sadness in his eyes every time Dongwan looked at the picture, finally understood the meaning behind his smile. He took a few hesitant steps forward, eyes already filling with unshed tears and saw that something was written at the bottom of the picture, a little messy but legible. He could recognize that handwriting anywhere and all it said was:

"Picture by Kim Dongwan."

And Andy cried.

After a while, as they sat on the steps outside, Andy finally looked at his sun again.

"What was his name?"

A pause and then,

"Shin Hyesung"