Someone Told Me

Someone Told Me

Park Sooyoung stared at the man in front of him, his words becoming inaudible as her mind raced to comprehend what he had just told her. It wasn’t possible, no, five years was far too long, yet as she sat in her chair she couldn’t deny the fact that she still loved him. So maybe it was possible, but he was also different from her, their short lived love was proof enough of that.  

It was very possible that she was the only one who couldn’t forget about their time together. It was something she struggled with on a daily basis, because it was honestly stupid. Five years was more than enough time to forget, but when they were some of her happiest memories it was near impossible to forget. How youthful they were, how much in love they were with each other. They were young and naïve but even then she had been so sure of her feelings. Feelings she didn’t hesitate to tell him and perhaps that was where the problem was. Maybe she had loved him too much. If she could go back in time, maybe she should’ve loved him a little less, maybe then it wouldn’t had hurt so much when everything turned dark.  

“It’s true Sooyoung,” her eyes lifted up to him and saw how he smiled at her. Changsub wouldn’t lie to her. She had always joked that the older man reminded her of her mother, and as he sat there she thought she could actually feel a motherly warmth emitting from him. How she missed him, missed the others who were all like brothers to her. It was only natural that when they called it off, she wouldn’t see them again. They were his friends and though they treated her like their sister, it would have only made the situation awkward. And their premonition had been correct, because although she was glad to see Changsub, their meeting right now was very awkward.

Averting her eyes from him, she decided to play with the straw in her drink instead, “and?” She hadn’t meant to sound bitter, but she couldn’t help it. The breakup may had been five years ago, but the pain she felt from it was still fresh. He was her first love, and subsequently her first heartbreak.

“It’s time you went back to him.”

There was a moment of silence as she tried her best to gather her thoughts, “it’s time you went back to him,” and despite having the urge to rush out, she burrowed her eyebrows. Even if it was true, which she was skeptical, why did it have to be her to go to him first? What made him so sure that she’d actually go running back to him?  And why would Changsub assume she was still in love with him? Five years was a real long time, long enough for her to have found someone else. For all Changsub knew, she could already be married, though her ring less finger was a dead giveaway. Still, he shouldn’t have ruled out the possibility of her being in a loving relationship.

A sighed escaped her lips, followed by a smile for it was all she could offer the man at the moment.

“You still love him don’t you?” She returned her eyes to Changsub, the question was a little too personal for her liking and she couldn’t believe he would ask her especially when this was their first meeting in five years. She didn’t answer, but she didn’t need too because he could see right through her, she was never one to hold in her feelings. She was what people called an “open book,” whatever she was feeling went straight to her face and it didn’t take a genius to see that she had always loved him, but she was also very stubborn, and he knew that as well.

“You two are so similar it’s scary, yet you guys couldn’t be any more different….when it comes to love.”  

She ignored his remarks, but she couldn’t deny the truth in his words. They were indeed very similar to one another and perhaps that was why their relationship had always been so harmonious. Their time together was filled with nothing but laughter, and for a while she was content with laughter, but as time went on she began to want more than just laughter. She wanted love, his love and no matter how hard she had tried to understand him, it always felt like she was doing the loving. Shoving her thoughts away she returned her focus back to Changsub.  

“So, how have you been?” She realized she hadn’t even gotten the chance to ask about his wellbeing, and besides it was best to change the topic. Too much of him was never good for her.

 

 

After bidding farewell to Changsub, she turned away with a heavy heart. Her new found information was causing an eternal battle within herself. Was she to just discard the information as if it was nothing? Or should she investigate some more truth into his statement?

Changsub had told her it was “time for her to go back to him,” but she couldn’t just go back to him, not when it was his fault, unless…

Taking out her phone she quickly dialed the new number she saved, and as she waited for him to pick up she could feel her blood boiling.

“Soo-“

“Yah, are you blaming me for the breakup?” There was moment of silence, before a loud laugh was heard.

“Don’t laugh,” she commanded.

“Oh Sooyoung, you’re too cute.”

“What the hell?”

“You haven’t changed a bit,” he added much to her annoyance.

“Yah, oppa,” she was serious and this was definitely not a laughing matter.

“No one is blaming you.”

“Then why did you tell me it was time for me to go back to him, huh?”

“Because it is time for you to go back to him.”  

She scoffed, “why can’t he come back to me first?” Another laugh was heard on the other line, “oh Sooyoung you really didn’t change one bit.”  

“And you, sir, didn’t change either.”

“Seriously we were literally just with each other, if you wanted to talk some more you could’ve just said something.”  

“Alright, alright, I get it. You want me hang up. It was great talking to you again and thanks again for treating,” she smiled at the thought of the red velvet cake at the café.

“No problem kiddo. Don’t be a stranger you hear? Take care.”

“Hmm,” she’ll try her best, but she wasn’t going to make any promises. Hanging up, she realized she was nowhere closer to solving her dilemma. The only thing she had gained from the phone call was that Changsub wasn’t blaming her for the breakup, but that wasn’t even what he had meant by his comment in the first place.

Still, “it’s time you went back to him,” lingered in her mind. Did he really want her to go back to him?

“Argh,” she groan as she slouched up against a nearby wall, her eyes closed as she took a moment to calm herself down. When she felt calm enough she opened her eyes to see a small flower shop. Being one who loved flowers she didn’t hesitant to enter the shop, forgetting all about her conversation with Changsub for the time being.

A bell rang as soon as she opened the door, and a sweet voice welcomed her in.

“Welcome, can I help you with something?” An elderly grandmother appeared from the back, her hands filled with little white flowers.

“Ah, I was just looking around.”

“I see, well if you need anything don’t hesitate to call me,” she said before disappearing into the back once more. Sooyoung assumed there was a little green house back there. She walked around the shop, bent down to smell some of the flowers she walked passed before stopping at a bouquet or roses.

“Ah, I see you like roses.” The grandmother observed as she reemerged from the back, her hands filled with more of the white flowers from earlier.

“Yes, they’re lovely.”

“That they are. They’re one of our top sellers you know. A bouquet of roses means ‘I love you.’”

Sooyoung nodded her head, she knew that. She had told him that once as well.

“Oh you should see the amount of people who come in here to buy roses, mostly men you know,” the grandmother chuckled, “they come in here saying ‘give me something that says I love you.’”

“Naturally I give them roses, but did you know, there’s another flower that represents love as well? Personally, I think it conveys a much stronger meaning of love then these pretty roses.”

She perked her ears up at the woman, what could convey a meaning of love stronger than roses?

“It’s actually very common to see them with roses. These little guys right here,” she held up her hand to show Sooyoung the flowers.

“Baby’s breath.”

“Everlasting love,” the grandmother breathe as she handed a stem to Sooyoung. Her heart dropped a little, she had seen these before.

“The come in different colors, but white is what you commonly see stuck in between roses. I’ll never forget this, but one time I had a young man, he couldn’t be more than 21 years old, come into the shop and requested the strangest thing. He wanted just a bouquet of baby’s breathe. Said it was for his girlfriend, so I asked him if he knew what they meant and he replied, ‘everlasting love.’ Gave me goosebumps the way he said it, as if he knew he was going to love her forever.”

“Of course at that time I only had purple baby’s breathe, but he didn’t mind, oh deary, are you crying?”

Handing the stem back to the grandmother, Sooyoung made a dash for the door. A muffled goodbye was heard before the grandmother was left alone in her store, a knowing smile on her face as she headed back to her greenhouse tucked safely behind her store.

 

 

It’s time you went back to him.

She understood what Changsub had meant now.

All this time, she brought her hands up to in an attempt muffle her cry, he had been waiting for her all this time.

Stupid.

He was stupid. She was stupid.

Reaching a familiar apartment door she stopped to catch her breath before she nervously knocked on the door. It wasn’t long before she heard footstep from behind the door and a thought of fleeing flashed across her mind. She was too slow though, because standing in front of her was none other than her ex-boyfriend and the man she never stopped loving, Yook Sungjae.

She felt him staring at her and she suddenly wished she had went home first to freshen up, because God knew she probably looked like a wreck.

“You’re sweating,” was the first thing he uttered and her cheeks flushed red, of course he would point that out first. An awkward silence befell upon them and Sooyoung took it upon herself to make the first move.

“Can I come in?”

“Ah,” he muttered as if he had forgotten common etiquette. Stepping aside, he allowed enough room for Sooyoung to enter the little apartment she was once so accustomed too. After all she had helped in choosing the place.

“You didn’t move?” He had moved to be closer to college, so it only made since for him to move out once he was done right?  

He shrugged, “rent is cheap and it’s in a good location. Plus my work place isn’t too far from here either.”

Sooyoung nodded her head in agreement, but sighed inwardly, this wasn’t how she pictured their reunion to be. It was wishful, but she had hoped he would had been a little happier to see her, especially if what Changsub had told her was true. This definitely wasn’t how someone who was supposedly still in love with her should be acting. He should’ve grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into a hug the moment he saw her. They should’ve been sharing kisses already, yet here she was standing awkwardly in the middle of entranceway wondering if coming there was the right thing to do.  

“Maybe I should jus-“

“-Do you want something to drink?” He interrupted her, walking pass her into the kitchen before she could answer.

“I, uh- sure.” She could use a little something for her perch throat.

“You can sit on the couch if you want,” he added pointing to the little couch against the back wall. Following his fingers she walked over to the couch and noticed that it was the same couch from five years ago. Actually, now that she had the chance to take a good look around the apartment, everything looked exactly the same.

“You didn’t change a single thing?” She pried as she took a seat, hoping to get a response more to her liking. Something along the lines of “I didn’t want to change anything because changing means I’ve moved on from you and I haven’t Sooyoung-ah. I wanted to keep everything the same because it reminded me of you. I love you Sooyoung.” She swooned just thinking about it.

“You know me. I’m a simple man. No point in changing when nothing needed to be change right?” He answered as he neared her with a glass of juice stretching towards her.  

“Thanks,” she accepted the juice half-hearted. That wasn’t the response she was hoping for, so to hide her disappointment she chugged down the juice.

“You’re going to choke if you drink that fast,” he stated, but she was too deep in her own disappointment to catch his worried tone.

“Ah, that was good. Thanks.”

“So,” she turned her head and notice that he had occupied the seat beside her. He was clearly nervous about something, as his hands rubbed his knee, something he did when he was about to do something he wasn’t so sure of.

A look of sympathy crossed her face, she was making him nervous wasn’t she? Of course it was her, and she mentally scolded herself. As his ex-girlfriend, she couldn’t just pop out of the blue the way she just did, especially not when she had been the one to walk out.

That’s right, it was her who had initiated the breakup. It was something she had tried so hard to forget and even though she had told Changsub she wasn’t to blame for the breakup, there was no denying the fact that she had been the one who had decided she couldn’t take any more of Sungjae’s antics. The one who came to her own conclusion that he didn’t love her and yet Changsub had told her Sungjae still loved her. But there was a possibility that Changsub was wrong, then again he could be right too and Sungjae may still love her. By chance her eye landed on a picture frame that made her heart stop beating. It was now or never, “Sungjae-ya.” There had to be some truth to Changsub’s words. Her baby picture should have been taken down when she left, but it was still placed perfectly beside Sungjae’s own baby picture.

“You’re crying,” she heard him say much to her surprised, lifting her hands up to her cheeks she immediately wiped them dry.

“Oh,” she embarrassedly smiled at him, but froze when she caught his eyes. She had often heard people comment on how Sungjae sometimes gazed at her with such loving eyes that it made them swoon, but she had never once seen those eyes, that is until now and it gave her the strength to continue.

“Sungjae-ya,” she repeated, “someone told me…” but she couldn’t finish, not when he continued to gaze at her with such loving eyes. The regret of five years ago quickly consumed her and she tore her eyes away from him.

“I should go, I shouldn’t have come here in the first place,” she got up abruptly and headed for the door, but felt his hand grip onto hers.

“Someone told you?” She heard him ask from behind her, but she remained silent. It was too much for her. The truth that he continued to love her while she had tried so hard to forget him was too much for her heart to handle.

“Someone told you that I still love you.” She nodded her head.

“Do you still love me?” She nodded her head harder. No matter how hard she had tried she could never fully forget him. All the guys she had met after Sungjae combined could never compare to him.

She felt him turn her around, as she was engulfed by his arms. His chest a warm welcome for her crying face.  

“I’m sorry,” he whispered as he the back of head.

“I should have ran after you that day, but I was scared.”  

“No, I’m the one who should be sorry. I should’ve never left in the first place. Should’ve never doubted your love for me,” she confessed through tears.

“No, it was my fault. Looking back I was too childish. I couldn’t properly show you how much you meant to me. It was only natural for you to become tired of me. When you suggested the breakup I should’ve stopped you, at the very least I should’ve said something instead I just let you walk away. I took your love for granted, I thought you would come back but when you didn’t I realized I was wrong. I figured it was my punishment for not loving you enough.”

It felt good to finally be back in his embrace, back to where she belonged and for a while they stayed in each other’s embrace, making up for lost time.

“Aww, look at our baby Sooyoungie, her face is all puffy from crying,” he teased once she had calmed down enough to properly look up at him, as he pressed her cheeks together. His loud laughter followed quickly as she glared at him.

“Yah, oppa!” She shouted as she smacked his stomach, but she couldn’t help but laugh along with him. In a way, this was how their relationship had always meant to be. Sure Sungjae was childish at times, and sometimes he couldn’t express his feelings too well, but that didn’t mean he didn’t love her. He just had a different way of showing his love for her and she was alright with that, because in the end everyone had their own was of loving someone.

Yook Sungjae may be clumsy with his love and Park Sooyoung may be too affectionate with her love but it didn’t matter how they love, because the only thing that matter was that they loved each other. 


Man, the ending was a mess. I didn't know how to end it. Still, I hope you guys enjoy this little one shot. Hooray for the appearance of Changsub. He's my favorite brother-in-law. Truthfully, I'm a little bummed about how this story turned out.  My reasons:

1. I desparately wanted to capture Joy's feelings (well, my take on her feelings from WGM) and it seemed too much for just a one shot, lol.

2. I couldn't decide if I wanted to base this off their celebrity life  (real life) or to just make them normal people (non celebrities). Obviously I choose the latter. 

3. I have a love/hate relationship with Sungjae. Don't get me wrong, I adore him and that he was paired up with Joy because honestly I don't think their could've been a better fit. Sighs, it's complicated. 

Anyway, please continue to support Sungjoy (Byu couple), I do hope they can last a little longer. Eric and Solar have already been confirmed and Siso couple is already confirmed to leave as well. Stop, I won't think about it anymore. Lol, please leave comments! 

Oh and one more thing, I got the inspiration to write this from this song.  Please give it a listen, because it's a beautiful song. 

quelqu'un m'a dit by Carla Bruni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwt6DaOuXc