To Love

Hold me in my dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun slowly comes back to consciousness, blinking himself blearily awake after a good night’s sleep. He’s feeling so well rested that he fights off the inevitable pull of sleep to wake up even just for a few more minutes, or seconds ahead of his son. Any amount of time he could be afforded before the tiny ball of sunshine he calls his son comes barging inside their room to ask for his, their attention.

And so, Baekhyun burrows himself deeper into the warmth surrounding him, contentment and happiness filling him up. He feels rather than hears Chanyeol groan beside him at his slight movement, the vibration on his chest perfectly felt by Baekhyun who is as close as he could possibly be to the man’s body.

The taller’s arms around him tightening in its hold and Baekhyun feels him exhale on his hair before planting a light kiss on his forehead. Baekhyun smiles at the sensations of being wrapped in Chanyeol’s strong arms and his breath that tickles him. Of the love that is engulfing him.

It has been like this for months now, and quite frankly, those are the best months of Baekhyun’s life. The emptiness in his heart is slowly being filled the more time he spends with his father and son duo. He still can’t believe it at times, thinking he was only dreaming a perfectly good dream he doesn't want to wake up from.

Sometimes, he wonders if it’s really him in the photographs that Chanyeol and Chanhyun loves to show him whenever they’re cuddling on the couch for weekend nights. He feels like it was another him in another life because of the memories he still cannot remember. Despite the glimpses he gets in his mind with all the more time he spends with them two, still, those aren't clear and concise memories. It dampens his mood sometimes.

“Are you awake already?” Baekhyun hears Chanyeol groan above him and he nodded, smiling to himself as he did so. He knows without seeing it that Chanyeol is smiling down at him right now, and Baekhyun feels warm because of that. “Are you rested enough for the day?”

Chanyeol looks down on him as he put some space between them to check Baekhyun and his emotions. Today? Well, today he goes to Chanhyun’s school as his other father. Officially introducing himself as the absent father to Chanhyun’s teachers, classmates, and friends.

It is the school’s family day and both Chanyeol and Chanhyun are excited to have him there and do it with them for the first time. Baekhyun is excited too, but somehow, he is apprehensive about how the rest will be reacting to him. Minseok, Luhan, and Sehun are all supportive though, and has been giving him tips on how to win the games and survive the small talks he’ll be inevitably subjected to for the three of them have had experiences already regarding this matter.

When he fails to answer, Chanyeol cups his face and worriedly checks his expression. He stares into Baekhyun's eyes and smiles, "There's nothing to worry about, Baekhyun. You'll have me and Chanhyun with you the entire day."

"But Chanhyun should have a lot of fun too-"

"We will all have fun. It's family day and we're a family. The three of us are." Chanyeol reassures. The way he's looking at Baekhyun makes the latter feel lighter.

"Is it really okay?" He asks.

"Of course. Besides, Chanhyun has been waiting for this moment." Chanyeol grins at him, kissing his forehead to calm him down. "He's been waiting to introduce his appa to his friends and teachers ever since."

Before Baekhyun can answer, they heard Chanhyun knocking on their door and within a minute, can see him barging in on their room. All of the doubts that were clouding Baekhyun's mind earlier vanished the moment he saw his son grinning widely at him before jumping in between his parents.

“Appa! Good morning!” He greets, hugging Baekhyun tightly after. Baekhyun hugs him back just as tight, kissing the top of his head. “Good morning too, my baby.”

“Wow. I feel sad.” Chanyeol mutters dramatically, clutching his heart in mock hurt. “I can’t believe my Chanhyun had forgotten about me.”

Chanhyun giggles and turns. “Good morning, daddy.” He says, reaching up and kissing his other father’s cheek for a second before going back to Baekhyun’s arms, making the latter laugh loudly at Chanyeol’s exaggerated pout.

“W-What? That’s all I get?”

The three laugh when Chanhyun only nodded before burrowing himself further into Baekhyun’s arms.

“I love appa more.” Chanhyun jokes.

Chanyeol answers good naturedly, “I know, little man. I know.”

Deep inside, Chanyeol is wondering when he will get the chance to say those words out loud too.

 

 

The three of them had to hurry up in preparing for the family day, having spent half of their time cuddling in bed. It is time well spent, however, as they talked about how they’re going to do their best to win all the games during the event as a family. And Baekhyun can’t wait to experience it all as he never got the chance to even when he was a kid, having parents who are always too busy.

"Chanhyun!" Are the excited calls that welcomed them once they are seen by his friends. There is a crowd gathering around the premises of the school where the games will be held, and most of them looked back towards them when they arrived.

A lot of parents welcome Chanyeol to the games while Baekhyun merely stood behind him, still unsure what to expect of today's event. But Chanyeol grabs his hand and guides him forward. All the other parents stare in confusion at Baekhyun's presence.

"Oh. We didn't know you came with someone else today." One lady comments, and Chanyeol only smiles.

"I did. I would like you to meet Baekhyun."

"A friend?" Another lady asks, and Baekhyun wonders why she was looking at Chanyeol with such interest.

“He’s Chanhyun’s father.” Is Chanyeol’s answer. He’s smiling so bright and Baekhyun couldn’t help smiling himself as well. Those around them gasp in shock, especially the lady who asked if he was a friend. She didn’t seem to like the answer to her question.

“O-Oh.” The lady falters. “Welcome, Mister?”

“Byun Baekhyun.” He answers, taking the hand offered to him. He shakes it lightly, but he can sense the animosity from the other party. His smile twitches, but nevertheless, he perseveres. It’s his first time here and Baekhyun’s here for Chanhyun and no one else.

“Daddy! Appa!” Chanhyun’s voice calls them over and the two excuse themselves from the crowd. Hand in hand, they approach Chanhyun who’s been waving them over.

Kneeling down to be leveled with him, they ask, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing!” Chanhyun shakes his head excitedly. “I’m just super excited. Let’s win today, appa!”

Chanyeol laughs and Baekhyun blushes, “I-I’ll try my best sweetheart. I’m not really that athletic…” Baekhyun elbows Chanyeol as his laughter becomes louder and Chanhyun cutely leans his head to the side in confusion. “What do you mean, appa?”

 

“Nothing, baby. We’ll try our best to win, okay?” Baekhyun concedes. He looks around and prays he doesn’t trip while participating in one of the games he can see that are already set up.

Chanhyun leaves them again to run to his friends and Chanyeol pats his head in comfort. “It’s okay. I’ll do the hard stuff. I’ve got years of practice with these events.” He jokes, even flexing his biceps, much to Baekhyun’s amusement.

Unknown to them, they’re being watched by the other parents present that afternoon, with some ladies nudging each other and eyeing Baekhyun from head to toe. They’re wondering who Baekhyun could be, not believing it when he was introduced as Chanhyun’s other parent, although some similarities are present between the two.

Baekhyun observes as well as the lady earlier entertains all the parents there. She’s been running around everywhere trying to arrange props and check them last minute. Everyone seems to be fond of her as well, including the children who all hugged her before going into their friend groups.

“I’m just going to check on Chanhyun, okay? Will you be okay here?” Chanyeol asks him, and Baekhyun nods, giving him the go ahead to leave him for a moment. He can do this, he can stand here and wait for the family day to start.

Chanyeol brings with him the cupcakes and muffins they brought to put it on the table filled with snacks for the kids later. Baekhyun watches him. Watching Chanyeol has been one of Baekhyun’s new hobbies these days. Whatever Baekhyun does, his eyes always end up on Chanyeol. The need to have Chanyeol in his sight at all times is uncontrollable.

Baekhyun is so focused on Chanyeol that he didn’t notice someone else standing beside him. Until he is nudged gently by the older lady. “Hello!” The granny greets, “This is my first time seeing you here? Are you new?”

Baekhyun smiles at the kind lady and he nods. “This is my first time attending as well. I’ve been out of the country for most of my grandson’s life and just went home this year. Are you as well?”

“Y-Yes. I’ve been away as well.” Baekhyun mumbles shyly. “I’m here for my son for the first time.”

The grandmother smiles kindly at Baekhyun, patting him softly on the back. "The important part is that you're here now."

Baekhyun bows down and smiles. "Yes, it is."

For a while they quietly watch the kids running around with the parents and teachers at the sides arranging everything. Grandma mumbles something and Baekhyun looks, "Yes? Did you say something?"

"Oh, I was just saying how Mr. Park and Ms. Kim look cute together over there." Grandma announces and Baekhyun frowns at the scene the older lady was referring to. The lady earlier, Ms. Kim, apparently, is talking to Chanyeol as they sort out the snacks for the kids later. It is a nice sight, and Baekhyun feels a pinch in his heart at it. "Her, Chanyeol, and Chanhyun look cute together, don't they?"

Baekhyun keeps silent and just smiled at the older lady, not knowing how to react. What to do nor say to her.

"Where is your child, son?" Grandma asks after a minute, and Baekhyun is stumped. He didn't know how to answer.

Good thing he didn’t have to think about it too hard for a second later, a running child crashes into him, immediately hugging him tight in the stomach. “Appa!” Chanhyun screams, beaming up at his father.

Baekhyun grins down as well, “Hello little man. I thought you’ve forgotten about me.”

“That’s impossible!” Chanhyun exclaims, crossing his arms on his chest. “Chanhyun will never do that.”

“Alright, alright. Appa believes you.” Chanhyun smiles wide and hugs Baekhyun again. In the middle of all that, Baekhyun had forgotten about the elder lady who is now intently watching their exchange. When their eyes met again, she appears sheepish.

“I didn’t know. I’m sorry for the things I said earlier.”

Baekhyun shrugs, “It’s okay.” Is all he can manage to say. Chanyeol later on joins them, taking Chanhyun into his arms and carrying him despite his complaints of how heavy their child has already become.

“You look beautiful.” Grandma whispers, smiling genuinely at Baekhyun, before moving away and joining her own family too.

Baekhyun feels a bit better with that compliment. He watches his family and decides he won’t let others’ words let him down. This is his family and he’s here to stay.

 

 

Later on that night, after tucking Chanhyun in to sleep, Chanyeol and Baekhyun share a quiet moment to themselves. Sipping hot chocolate as they watch the rain fall outside their window, cuddled up on the sofa and sharing warmth.

“Did you have fun today?” Chanyeol asks, Baekhyun’s hair softly. It’s become a habit, and Baekhyun has become accustomed to it. He’s so comfortable with it that he’s already starting to fall asleep from the action.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter