Final

Do you believe?

Yoongi was out on a field on his own. All the other kids were playing and screaming with delight in the playground, acting like the six-year-olds they were, but Yoongi was different. He knelt down in the grass by the trees, staring intently at the flowers. To anyone else, they would have just looked like ordinary, pink foxgloves, but Yoongi saw so much more. He could see the little fairies that inhabited the flowers, he could see that the real way flowers grew and reproduced was because of the fairies maintaining them. He knew no one else saw what he saw, so no one believed him, but he knew they existed. He was one of the few people who believed.

He ventured further into the woods, marvelling at the magical sights he saw around him. A single, lone, red flower caught his attention, and as he approached it he noticed that it was injured. Carefully, he picked up the tiny fairy from inside the flower and cradled it in his hands. The fairy appeared to be sleeping, but they were visibly shivering and looked incredibly weak. He returned them back to the flower, gently, and rushed to get some water from inside.

He returned to the flower shortly with some water to try and revive it and it's poor fairy. Being as gentle and careful as he could, Yoongi poured some water around the flower and poured a drop into the fairy’s mouth. After a few seconds the fairy coughed and spluttered a bit before finally opening their eyes and taking in their surroundings. They stumbled back a bit once they saw Yoongi, fear evident in their eyes.

‘It's ok, I'm not going to hurt you.’ Yoongi calmed them. ‘I'm Yoongi, what's your name?’

‘T-Taehyung’, the fairy stuttered out.

‘How are you feeling, Taehyung? I think someone stood your flower. You're not hurt are you?’

‘I'm ok, I think. I just feel really weak. Do you have any more water please?’ Taehyung asked feebly.

‘Yeah, of course. Here you go.’

The water helped Taehyung regain some of his strength, and as their condition improved, so did that of their flower. However, he could still not fully recover yet.

‘Can you please take me to the light? I need light.’

‘Oh! Of course! Just hold on one second.’

Yoongi carried Taehyung in his hands and ran as fast as he could manage without hurting Taehyung to the edge of the trees.

‘Please be all right Taehyung!’

‘It’s ok! I'll be fine. Thank you so much, Yoongi, for everything you've done for me.’

Taehyung had still had not regained enough strength to fly even with the help of sunlight, so he stayed sitting on Yoongi's pale hands.

‘Can I visit you again?’ Yoongi asked.

‘Of course, I'd love that.’ Taehyung smiled at him.

A voice from the playground suddenly broke through their moment.

‘Hey, Yoongi! Who’re you talking to?’, Yoongi’s friend, Hoseok called.

‘Oh, um,’ Yoongi looked back at Taehyung and then up to Hoseok again. It was clear Hoseok could not see them. ‘Just, no one, never mind.’

He then turned around to Taehyung, ‘I'll come back later, okay? See you!’ Yoongi carefully deposited Taehyung back on the ground.

‘Ok, come back soon!’, came the reply.

Yoongi visited Taehyung every day after that and as each day passed their relationship her stronger. Taehyung had long since recovered so their flower stood tall and upright while they were cheerful and full of energy. Yoongi’s mum was a little worried about all the time he was spending in the woods, seemingly alone, but she noticed he was happier recently and this sort of behaviour was not unusual for him.

 

‘Come, Taehyung, I want to show you something.’ Yoongi said.

‘What is it?’ Taehyung implored.

‘You'll see. It's a surprise!’

Yoongi excitedly made his way to his house while Taehyung flew behind him.

‘Now close your eyes.’ Yoongi instructed. Taehyung did as they were told and continued to, now blindly, follow him.

‘Ok, you can open your eyes now.’

In front of Taehyung was a little treehouse.

‘My dad helped me build it and I made sure no fairies or spirits were hurt. Come inside!’

Yoongi climbed into the little treehouse and Taehyung flew in after him.

‘I wish I could stay here with you all the time,’ Taehyung sighed admiring the treehouse, ‘Why am I a tiny flower fairy while you're human?’

‘No, don't say that! I'll come visit you more often if you want, then we can spend more time together. I can even take you to school too, since no one else even sees you so you can just stay with me.’

‘Okay.’ Taehyung smiled.

‘Oh, I got you something else too.’

Yoongi pulled out a little silver coloured ring with some emerald jewels encrusted on it.

‘This used to be my mum’s from when she was little but she said I could have it. It's not very much and it's all fake jewels and plastic and stuff but I thought you could wear it as a necklace or something, I don't know.’ Yoongi said shyly.

Taehyung fluttered up and kissed a surprised Yoongi’s nose.

‘I love it, thank you so much! It’s beautiful.’

 

Not too long later, Jin, the ruler of the flower fairies, noticed Taehyung's closeness with Yoongi and decided to put an end to it.

‘Taehyung, you cannot continue your relationship with this boy.’ Jin confronted them one day.

‘Why not? It's not doing anyone any harm. Besides, he saved my life.’

‘Your life is interchangeable,’ Jin snapped, ‘If you had died another flower would have grown with another fairy in your place. Your death is inevitable anyway, already your flowers grows weaker. What are you going to tell the boy?’

Taehyung looked down, tears springing to his eyes. ‘He will understand. He has known about us for ages, he will have seen how quickly a flower fairy’s life ends. Anyway, he has human friends, doesn't he? He won't even care that I'll be gone.’ Taehyung said, trying to reassure himself more than Jin.

Jin sighed sympathetically and with a final word of warning, left Taehyung on their own again. Taehyung couldn't hold back their tears anymore. They fell thick and fast down their cheeks, and all the while their flower started to droop.

‘Don't cry! No, why are you crying?’ Taehyung heard a voice say.

It was Jungkook, a cherry blossom fairy. ‘Hey, look at me. What's wrong, hm?’

‘I may have fallen in love with a human boy child and now I don't know what to do and Jin just spoke to me and I'm going to die when my flower dies which isn't that long away so I'll leave Yoongi and this was all a big mistake and I--’

‘Ok, ok, calm down,’ Jungkook cut into Taehyung's rambling, ‘Just breathe. That's it. So now, what exactly is the problem? Just that you will leave Yoongi, the boy you love? Oh, I have an idea! Taehyung, come with me. I think I know someone who might be able to help you.’

With that, Jungkook grabbed Taehyung’s hand and they took off, Jungkook leading the way.

‘Where are we going?’ Taehyung called.

‘Just follow me. We're going to see a friend of mine who might know what to do. I can’t believe you actually fell in love though. I've always wanted to know what it feels like.’ Jungkook added wistfully.

‘We're here,’ Jungkook announced as a wisteria tree came into view.

‘Iris!’ Jungkook called.

‘Iris?’ Taehyung asked.

‘They are the spirit of the wisteria tree. I know it's kind of a strange name, considering they are not an iris fairy, but anyway.’ Jungkook replied, ‘Oh, Iris! There you are!’

‘Jungkook! How are things?’

I‘m ok, thank you. I actually came to ask for you're help.’

‘What is the matter?’

‘Well, you see, my friend Taehyung has fallen in love with a human boy.’

Taehyung looked away shyly, blushing slightly.

‘So, the thing is, Taehyung's worried about what he should do since flower fairies have a short lifespan so Taehyung will die when his flower dies so they will leave Yoongi.’

‘A fairy fell in love? Now this is something one doesn't see very often. Taehyung, have you spoken to this boy about anything yet?’

‘Well, no. He knows that flower fairies are tied to their flower so I'd assume he knows that I will die, but we haven't exactly talked about it.’

‘I suggest you talk to him first but there is one thing I can try to do. I may be able to gather enough energy from the forest to turn you human so you will no longer be bound to your flower. Go and find him and bring him back here, my child. Then I'll explain to both of you what turning you human would entail.’

 

The next day when Yoongi came to see Taehyung, Jungkook lead them both back to the wisteria tree, although this time it was much slower considering Yoongi had to travel on foot.

‘Ah, you've returned!’ Iris said as they approached. ‘So this is the boy that managed to capture a fairy's heart.’

Yoongi looked away shyly.

‘I trust Taehyung and Jungkook explained everything to you, Yoongi is it?’

He nodded.

‘Ok, so if I turn Taehyung human you must know that they will never be fully human. They will look human and essentially be human, but they will need to stay close to the trees for energy and will need plenty of light. I cannot change the entire way their body works so they will not need human food although they will be able to eat it if they choose to. And Yoongi, if we go through with this you must promise me that you will always love and look after Taehyung, no matter what.’

‘Of course.’

‘And Taehyung, are you really sure this is what you want?’

Taehyung nodded. ‘I’m positive.’

‘All right then. Yoongi, Jungkook, just take a couple of steps back please.’

Iris closed her eyes in concentration as she summoned energy from the trees around her. Other fairies and spirits came to watch as they noticed the shift in energy, until there was a small crowd around them. As Iris gathered more energy a bright, white light grew around them, which they then directed towards Taehyung’s frail form. They began to be lifted into the air in a cloud of white light, and slowly their body grew and wings disappeared until they resembled a regular human child.

Iris gently lowered the ball of light containing Taehyung back to the ground, and all energy and light died down, leaving Taehyung lying on the floor.

‘Are they okay?’ Jungkook and Yoongi both inquired, Yoongi starting forward a little bit.

‘Hush children, just give them a moment.’

After what felt like an age to Yoongi, Taehyung shifted and opened his eyes.

‘Ughnf. I feel weird.’ They said, rubbing their eyes.

‘Taehyung!’ Yoongi exclaimed and rushed towards them. ‘It worked!’

Taehyung's eyes lit up when he finally remembered what had happened, and then he enveloped Yoongi in a bone-crushing hug.

‘Look, I can hug you now, I'm the same size as you!’ Taehyung said causing Yoongi to laugh.

They then turned around to Iris and Jungkook.

‘Thank you so much Iris. And you too Jungkook, thank you for everything. How can we repay you?’

‘Oh you really don't have to do anything, it was my pleasure,’ Iris smiled, despite looking extremely exhausted, ‘Besides, it's so rare to find a human who believes in us, and it's practically unheard of for a fairy to fall in love, so it feels like my duty to ensure you both are happy so I can protect that which is precious and so rare.’

 

Taehyung went home with Yoongi and although she was surprised and confused to say the least, Yoongi’s mum agreed to let them stay with Yoongi after she finally understood what was going on. Taehyung from then on went to school with Yoongi and was like any other regular child.

Yoongi’s love for Taehyung never once faded, nor did Taehyung’s for Yoongi.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

 

A/N: Hello! This is my first fanfic so please be kind ^.^

In case you were wondering, Taehyung's flower looks like this:

 

 

Comments and constructive criticism are always appreciated :)

Thank you for reading this!