ME, FLIRTING, YOU?!

Princess Gone Bad

“Kim Kibum.”

After silence filled the classroom for three seconds, the lecturer finally looked up from the attendance list and scanned the room, then shook his head disapprovingly at the empty seat.

“Third time this week.” He mumbled as he marked a cross beside the name. True enough, Kibum, better known as Key, had only came on school on Monday because they had assignments to be handed in, and taking in consideration that today is Thursday, he had been missing from school for three consecutive days already.

The lecturers have to all agree that the assignments that Key handed in was always well-done, still Key was often at a risk because of his attendance that could barely meet the mark for passing the attendance. And no matter how hard they tried to understand his situation, Key would always avoid the topic and then the next time when he’s back in school, it’s with a sleepy face. It isn’t surprising that the lecturers assumed that he have been out the whole night on the streets.

Next to the empty seat, Jung Nicole was busy admiring her gel nails that she did yesterday. It wasn’t surprising to her that her classmate is absent, again. Despite being in the same class for almost a year, the two of them have barely spoken to each other except ‘excuse me’, ‘you’re blocking my way’. Key has never liked Nicole’s behavior and Nicole has never really notice Key anyway.

-

It was almost 3pm when the lecture ends, and a few girls came up to Nicole, surrounding her and complimenting her nails. Nicole was used to this type of reaction that she was almost sick of it.

“Well, it’s really cheap. Why don’t you girls go have it done yourselves than having to look at mine, right?” Nicole said as she carries her bag around her shoulder and leaves the classroom.

The smile on the girls’ faces dropped as soon as Nicole leaves the classroom.

“Who does she think she is?”

“She’s just living her life by spending her parent’s assets!”

“I hate her!”

Goo Hara shook her head at the instant change from the girls, even though sometimes she herself disapprove Nicole’s way of speaking, but she have to admit that she would rather face a mean and real Nicole than these scary girls.

Hara glanced at her watch and realize it was still early, she bit her lips thinking of where to go before 6pm and her eyes lit up when she have an idea. Quickly, she grabs her bag with her and headed to the basketball court.

-

Nicole sighs as she taps her feet in impatience, holding up the umbrella over her head to avoid the scorching sun. Dongwoon had agreed to pick her up at 3pm and it was only 2.50, but to Nicole, waiting is not okay.

When she saw the familiar blue car drove into the campus, she heaves a sigh of relief.

“Cole!” Dongwoon called out as he stepped out of the car and walk towards her. Without another word, Nicole threw her bag to him and quickly walks to the car and get in, leaving Dongwoon following behind, with a small smile on his face. To the onlookers, he may be seen as being bullied, but to him, she was just being willful.

“How’s school?” Dongwoon asked as he started driving, and Nicole shrug.

“It’s always the same thing, I hate studying. Why can’t I be like you, working in a company straight away after high school, without attending University?” Nicole asked as she turned to Dongwoon and pouted.

Dongwoon patted on Nicole’s head with his free hand and take in a deep breath, he knew what he was about to say wasn’t to Nicole’s liking but he still had to, “Cole ah, having a degree is going to help you a lot in the future, like when you… well…take over the Jung Enterprise.”

Dongwoon cringe inside when he finishes his sentence, especially when he mentioned about Jung Enterprise. Guilt filled over him.

“Yeah yeah, it’s always the same old words from you.” Nicole said, looking out of the window as a form of protest, then her eyes widen when she saw her missing classmate at a roadside food stall, wearing their staff uniform and wiping the table clean.

So, this is where he has been.

 Dongwoon decided to lighten up the atmosphere and brings up Nicole’s favorite topic, “Do you want to eat something?”

“Yes, and I have a good place in mind.” Nicole replied, not even looking back at Dongwoon.

“Steak’s House, Jumbo Seafood, or-“

“This food stall in front will do.”

-

“Go! Minho! Go! Minho! Go! Minho!”

The girls chanted loudly as the player with jersey 9 scribbled the basketball over his opponent’s defense. Hara did a small fist in the air when he once again succeeded in throwing the ball in the hoop.

It have almost become a habit for Hara to come here whenever class ended early, she was used to seeing Minho and his teammates practicing, she was used to seeing how popular Minho is, she was used to his victorious look every time he scored.

He wasn’t just a handsome face to her.

When she dropped all her coins on the floor accidentally, he picked it up one by one and gave it to her. When she had a terrible cough, he threw her one bottle of plain water and motions her to drink it. There was one encounter that she would never forget, when she urgently needs to use the toilet but she realizes that the ladies were in maintenance and the closest toilet is one floor above, Minho was about to go into the Gents when he noticed her standing outside the toilet with a weird face, he went into the Gents and then Hara saw all the guys coming out one by one, then Minho motioned her to go inside, while he himself waited outside, to prevent other guys from going in.

This was enough for Hara to fall in love with him.

She had no idea why he was so nice to her, even though they barely knew each other. But it wouldn’t harm to guess that he had the same feelings as her, right?

-

“Welco-“ Key couldn’t finish his sentence as soon as he saw Nicole and her friend in front of him.

“Hi, classmate!” Nicole greeted cheerfully, contented that she manage to shock Key with her presence.

Key gave an obviously fake smile, “Why’re you here?”

Nicole raises an eyebrow and look around the place, “Err… isn’t it obvious that this is a place that sells food, and we’re here to… eat?”

Dongwoon frowned a little, though he had no idea who this guy in front of them was, but Nicole have never been to such places to eat, is she here because of this person?

“Then find a place to sit.” Key replied, as he adjusted his cap a little.

“You’ve not been attending school because you’re working here?” Nicole asked, giving her bright smile as Dongwoon and her sat down at the nearest table.

“What do you want to order?” Key ignored her question, and passed them two menus instead.

“How do you ever complete the assignments without attending school?”

“Our signature dish is kimchi soup.”

“Did you hire someone to do it for you?”

“We’re having a promotion now, order 10 dumplings and get 3 for free.”

“Why do you work here?”

“Why do you eat here?”

Nicole and Key stared at each other, almost in a glaring competition.

“YAH, I’m the customer!” Nicole finally yelled.

“Then order, and stop trying to flirt with me!” Key retorted.

“ME?! FLIRTING?! YOU?!” Nicole gave a small laugh, and just when Dongwoon was about to speak, Nicole cut in, “Okay fine, I want to order now!”

Key smiled and glanced at his watch, “3.45PM, knock off time.” With a smug, Key walked off, leaving Nicole’s mouth hanging open.

Dongwoon twitches his eyes as he watches the two bickering. He never knew Nicole had a classmate like this, he never even realizes there’s someone who could make Nicole react like this.