Chapter (4)

Your Face

It was my first day on set and to say I was overwhelmed, would be an understatement. It seemed like everyone was here already. Half of the cast didn’t even show up for the script readings so I still barely knew anyone. I recognized the stage manager, as she came over to me. I think her name was Soo Ra or something like that. She was very welcoming so that helped me nerves. She grabbed my arm and announced that she was taking me to meet the rest of the cast. We entered a nicely lit room surrounded with all different kinds of foods and various people sitting around. “I think everyone’s here except Hyunwoo, so you can go and meet the cast.” I grabbed some food and sat at a table that occupied one other person. It was a girl, she was actually beautiful. Her hair reached a little above her shoulders and gave off this mysterious vibe. She hadn’t moved her eyes from the phone in her hands since I sat down. I tried to be polite and start conversation.

“Ummm Hi” I said nervously

She quickly looked up from her phone in disbelief, “how long were you sitting here I didn’t even notice you! I’m sorry I had to take care of some stuff, you’re Sunu right?”

“Yea” I said shocked she knew my name

“My name is Kiko” she said extending her hand out to shake mine.

I felt hopeful that I could make at least one friend today and she seemed really nice. I met with the rest of the cast, and they all seemed like nice people. The first day on set, actually acting felt surprisingly invigorating. I got to pretend that I was someone else. The character I was playing was strong, confident basically everything I wanted to be. Playing her made me feel like I was someone who could actually accomplish something. I was actually reluctant to hear cut at the end of the day. To celebrate the first day on set the whole cast wanted to go out for dinner. I called my grandma to tell her where I was going.

 

We ended up going to this noodle restaurant and I took my seat next to kiko. She turned to me and asked if I had met Hyun woo yet. I couldn’t really remember that name so I shook my head. She looked over to me, completely in shock. “Well he’s so good looking, I’ve had a crush on him ever since we met like a year ago.” Ten minutes into dinner everyone had already ordered and no "Hyunoo" had showed up. The way Kiko hyped this guy up, he must’ve been really good looking and all but why didn’t ever show up to anything?. A couple minutes later I saw the door open and some skinny guy walked in. He was at least 2 feet taller than me and had smooth brown hair that was parted right in the middle. He was really cute and I could see why Kiko liked him. He sat in the only open seat across from me. The moment he sat down Kiko’s face lit up “Hyunwoo-ah!” she addressed the skinny boy. He smiled kindly back at her but it didn’t look like he reciprocated the same enthusiasm. He then turned to face me. “Oh this is Sunu by the way” kiko introduced me. He extended his hand like Kiko earlier did and I shook it. He nodded his hand and bowed towards me.

 

After dinner it was really dark out so Kiko and Hyun woo suggested that they should walk me home. I never expected everyone to be so nice and welcoming, especially when they just me today. I felt like I actually fit in. I sat on the seat next to Kiko and I made an attempt to get to know both of them.

“I don’t mean to be annoying or assertive in your life but it can be really creepy in Seoul past dark” Kiko said.

“No it’s great” I said, I was actually grateful that she put in the effort to even think about me.

“Yea and my house it on the way so it’s fine” Kiko said.

“So….” Hyunwoo started “where are you from?”

“Well I was born here but then I moved to new york to live with my dad..” I started

“Wow New York? I’ve always wanted to go there” Hyunwoo said

“Yea it’s great there’s always something to do, even at this hour...Although it looks like there are things going on even now over here”

I looked over towards Kiko and she was already sleeping on Hyunwoo’s shoulder, I let out a chuckle and hyunwoo confusingly looked over at me.

“How can she go to sleep so fast?” I asked

“I guess she was just exhausted.. her stop is coming up soon, where do you get off?”

“Gyeongui-....I can probably make it home so just walk kiko home”

“No it’s really fine I feel bad just leaving you” hyun woo said

After we got off the train Hyunwoo carried Kiko on his back and dropped her off at home. Hyunwoo and I got back on the train and he rode the train with me all the way to my station; he even walked me all the way home. We talked about music, movies, even food; he was actually pretty funny. When I got home, I saw my grandmother sitting on the steps and thankfully she didn’t look worried. She excitedly jumped up as Hyunwoo and I approached the steps. “You already made friends?” my grandmother asked, walking over to me. I wasn’t really sure if we were friends yet so I just shrugged.

 

My grandmother tried to invite Hyun woo over for dinner but he refused. “Be safe!” I called out to him as he started to walk away. I really hoped he would be okay after all ‘ it could be really creepy in Seoul past dark.’

 

The next day Hyunwoo actually showed up to the set and Kiko + I had a scene together. I never thought acting would be so fun. I had met more people yesterday than I had ever met in all 4 years of high school. After a few hours we went on lunch break. A lot of the cast wanted to get hamburger so we went out to eat again. Did they eat out everyday? How could they afford it? I didn’t have that much cash so I just ordered some fries.

 

Kiko, Hyunwoo and I all went home together again. After we dropped Kiko off Hyun Woo asked if I wanted to get some food. “The only thing you ate was fries.. aren’t you hungry”? Hyunwoo asked.

“I am but i’m sure my grandma has something fixed”

He nodded and walked me back home. When we got there my grandmother asked if hyunwoo wanted to stay for dinner and he actually accepted this time. Hyunwoo was really polite and I think my grandmother liked him. After we ate he and I sat on the steps in front of my house.

“Your grandma is a pretty good cook” he said

“She’s great”

“Does your mom live here too?” he asked

“Not really”

I guess he could tell I didn’t want to talk about it because he changed the subject. I was usually so shy but it was so easy to talk to Hyunwoo even though I practically just met him.

“Hyunwoo you’re kind of like my grandmother”

“What?”

“You’re so easy to talk to even though we just met”

“So i’m like your grandma?” Hyun woo said holding back a grin

I started to laugh uncontrollably as Hyunwoo just stared back at me, grinning,