Chapter (Three)

Your Face

I never got any callback for the position at the cafe so I was constantly continuing my job hunt on the streets. As I passed the cafe I wondered why they never even at least called me back. It was another pointless day, so I went back home to find my grandma waiting on the doorstep for me. “Is something wrong?” I asked worriedly; but for some reason there was a wide grin on her face. “Sunu you got a callback from the production company!” I couldn’t believe what she said, my audition was horrible. After stuffing myself with shrimp and rice my grandma urged me to go to bed and rest for tomorrow.

 

The next day I headed out alone because I didn’t want to disappoint my grandma if I got turned down. This audition went better than the last and I actually felt a little more confident. To get this far, I mean I had to have done something right. I returned home later that night with a sense of accomplishment and I wanted to tell my grandma everything but she was already asleep when I got there.

The following weeks were dull and uneventful. While I anticipated the callback, I helped my grandma out with chores and cooking. The next day I woke up my grandma was nowhere to be found and there was a note that said ‘gone out for groceries.’ A couple minutes later the phone rang from an unknown number. The caller revealed himself as the agent from the production company.

“May I speak to Sunu Majd?”

“This is she,” I said nervously

“Great, we’d like you to come in for one final audition… do you think you could make it over now, I apologize for the late notice”

“Umm that’s fine I can be there in 30 minutes”

“That’s great!” the voice on the other line said with anticipation in his voice

I had no plans of going out so I didn’t even shower yet. There probably wasn’t enough time to get ready properly. I wished I had thought about this before I blurted out that i’d be there in 30 minutes. I ran to my room and tried to find something at least a little bit presentable. Before leaving, I left another note for my grandmother, telling her where I’d be..

 

Throughout the whole metro ride I felt nervous, at first I didn’t really care about getting the job. But everyone seemed to be turning me down so this seemed like my only chance. I walked into the same studio and did my best. The casting team knew my name by now and they didn’t look too disappointed with my audition. On my way out the door they said they would call in a day or two, confirming if I got it or not.

 

When I got home I could see from the outside that the lights were still on. I was eager to tell my grandma about my day and how things actually might work out. I found her waiting by the door and she eagerly  handed me a box the moment I entered into the house.. “What’s this?” I asked. “Just open it Sunu!” she said. It was a nice velvet box with something heavy inside. I untied the strings holding it together and opened the box and inside was a phone. I couldn’t help but smile but I felt like I didn’t deserve this present. I was living in her house rent free, being useless. I knew she would object if I said I couldn’t accept it so I just went with it and hugged her.

“you know you didn’t need to get me this right?”

“it’s for all your missed birthdays and holidays I owe you so much” she replied still being hugged.

We stayed up all night talking about the auditions and what happened if I became famous or something.  She always made me feel hopeful, like I actually stood a chance. Later that night I got another call from the casting directors. Why would they call me so soon? It couldn’t be that they already chose me so they must be calling to let me down easy or something. But they didn’t. I got the part.

The next day was to be the first script reading. Productions were supposed to start in 3 weeks.