Chapter (One)

Your Face

It was the last day of highschool and I still had no idea what I what I wanted to do with my life. I had no ambitions or talents. My family didn’t even have enough money to send me to college. I was planning on taking a gap year to earn some money and visit my grandmother in Korea. I walked home with the cold new york breeze hitting my back. When I got home my dad was sleeping on the couch with an episode of sherlock playing in the background. He would have to work all night later so I decided to let him sleep.

 

Everyone said I looked like my father, but maybe it was because they never saw my mother. I had my father’s brown skin, his curly hair, and green eyes; I even carried his indian last name, “Majd.” But I had my mother’s round eyes and her soft smile. Thinking about her always made me exhausted, she never claimed me as her own, or put in the time to care for me. Maybe it was because of my dark skin or that fact that I reminded her of my dad. Either way, I was tired so I decided to take a nap. It felt like 5 minutes later I was awakened to the sound of my name being called. I opened my eyes to see my dad standing in the doorway. “Sunu, i’m off the work- I couldn’t get out of work so I might be late to your graduation tomorrow.”

I felt bad for my dad, it seemed like he was always working to support us. I really appreciated him for always putting me first but he was always missing things like this. After graduation I was getting on the plane to korea, so this would be his last chance. “Don’t worry about it” I said as I tried my best to put on a convincing smile. He gave me a quick reassuring smile and walked off.

 

For some reason, I felt this burst of excitement when I woke up. I looked towards my packed bags in the corner of my room and sighed. Today was the end of highschool but in 10 hours I would be getting on a plane and going back to south korea for the first time in years. I was excited to see my grandmother for the first time in years, but I feared that I wouldn’t be able to fit in. I finally snapped out of my nervous thoughts and jumped into the shower so I could get ready.

 

After I got to school I found my place in the midst of all the M’s. To my left there was some 6 ft tall hispanic boy who I had never seen before. The seat to my right was vacant, reserved for someone named “Marcus Greenfield.” As I heard all the names being called and the anticipation built up, I started to feel relief. I never fit in with anyone at school. They called my food stinky and tormented me whenever my hair was curly. Even the only 2 other asians at my school didn’t accept me. My name was finally called and I shyly walked up to the stage to receive my diploma. For a quick second I looked across the people in the audience and I swear I saw my dad standing and clapping. When I returned back home I put my bags in the car and prepped for the flight.  

 

It was a long drive towards the airport, at least 40 minutes. When we finally arrived my dad walked me to the terminal. It was hard enough to say goodbye but then I saw my father’s miserable expression. He looked up at me and said “I’m sorry I never made enough money to send you to college, Sunu.” I really did appreciate him, my father always put me first. It was a tough goodbye but I managed to leave on a somewhat happy note, he knew I was coming back soon. My dad handed the bags over to me and I made my way to board the plane.