Chapter 3

The Secret : Live or Die

(Joseon Dynasty)

The situation outside of the palace was full with people. The situation where the business between seller and buyer happen, kids run and play with their colleagues and some villagers drink at the shop. One little man was taking a walk with his eunuch in that place. People give their respects towards the little man as he walk. He politely bows to them, earn the respect from others. This king generation has been known as someone who polite towards people under them. Sometimes the king will see the situation itself and sometimes mingle with subordinates.

“Naesi, did you know when Abamama will back?”

Sanghyun lowers himself to hear what his prince to say.

“He will back sooner. If I’m not mistaken after one night, he will back.”

“Wah~ I can’t wait to see abamama.”

Sanghyun just smile watching his little prince skip happily.

“Daegun, wait for me. Be careful.”

After a walk outside the palace, both of them arrived at the palace. On the way to prince room, the queen was being seen to go to prince room.

“Eoma-mama!!”

The queen stops her walk and turn to see her son run to her direction. She hug her son and examine her son face.

“Did you have a long walk today?”

“It’s just a same walk to me eoma-mama. Don’t worry. I have happy trip today. Right, naesi?”

The prince said while looking at his eunuch direction.

“That’s true, Mama~”

The queen just smile sweetly towards her son.

“Go to your room, you need to change. Naesi Sanghyun, go take prince to his room and change him.”

“Ye~ Mama. Let’s go Daegun.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Jeonha, did you think we should stop our hunting now?”

King Yoon Kye Sang look at his minister, Lee Dong Wook.

“Why? did you already tired?”

“It’s not what I mean Jeonha. I just afraid that you are the one who will be tired.”

The king laugh a loud at his minister remark.

“It’s ok. I not tired yet. If you are tired, tell me.”

“I’m not tired, Jeonha!”

The king just nodding approval to his man.

“Jeonha, I think we need to go to other area. It’s seem at that area full of another animal.”

Another minister, Cha Seung Won come and report the situation to him.

“Let’s go at there.”

All of them go to the suggested area and examine the place. The king look approve to the surrounding.

“Where did you get this place, SeungWon-Daejang?”

“It’s just happen when I examine this area, Jeonha.”

“Jeonha, at there.”

Dong Wook sent a signal to King. They spot one of deer went eating the grass. Without delay, King Kye Sang drawn his bow and ready to launch to his target. At one shot, King successful to kill the target. Dong Wook and Seung Won the King to the target.

“We can have feast tonight. Tell others to prepare the ingredients to cook tonight.”

“Ye~ Jeonha.”

Two of his servant pick the animal that their King kill and bring to their base camp.

“You will get a bad luck, young man.”

King Kye Sang, Dong Wook and SeungWon stop their track and find the source of the voice. They notice one old man sitting under the tree and turn to them.

“Who are you?”

Being the one who protect the King and country, Seung Won drawn his sword and pointing to the old man. The old man get up from his seat and move forward.

“Its not important to know my name. I just want to remind that this kingdom will be in a great danger.”

The old man stop his word and looking at dark sky. The sky look like will pour the heavy rain. King Kye Sang was intense when heard what the old man said. Both Dong Wook and Seung Won in alert state worried the old man will harm the king.

“What did you mean, old man?”

King Kye Sang ask the old man while looking with intent eyes. The old man just smile and bowed his head slightly.

“I can’t say further. But for now, take care of your crown prince carefully.”

Suddenly the strong wind come and in instant the old man was vanished in the air. They was shock with sudden disappear from the old man.

“Jeonha, don’t over thinking about it. I’m pretty sure it just a prank.”

“I will try to search that old man and find where the source comes from. Don’t worry Jeonha.”

King Kye Sang nodded his head towards both of them. in fact, he got the bad feeling about it.

After they have feast with the animal that being caught, King Kye Sang enter his tent. He was in deep thought when he heard someone want to enter his tent.

“Mama~ can I come in?”

He recognize his Dong Wook voice and give permission to enter.

“Jeonha, did the earlier encounter make your lose appetite? You not eat well today.”

King Kye Sang look at Dong Wook for a moment before nodded his head.

“I worried about what the old man said will be true. Now, I think about Crown Prince safety.”

“Jeonha, don’t worry about it. Crown Prince will be in safe. Furthermore, we doesn’t know whether the old man said the truth or not. I believe Seung Won-daejang will find the old man soon.”

“I hope it will turn out well.”

“Don’t worry Jeonha. For now, you need to take a rest. Tomorrow, we will back to our palace. We have a long day tomorrow.”

“I understand. You can go, Dong Wook-daejang.”

Dong Wook excuse himself from King Kye Sang and exit the tent. He spot Seung Won who at that time practice his sword skill.

“Seung Won-Daejang, why you practice this late at night? Doesn’t you need to sleep by now?”

Seung Won stop his practice and turn to Dong Wook. He wipes his sweat and put his sword in his place.

“I can’t fall asleep especially when heard what the old man said.”

Dong Wook look at Seung Won and can saw the worried in his eyes.

“What did you think about the earlier encounter? Did you think what that old man said is true?”

Seung Won think for a while before he squinted his eyes.

“I don’t know. But from what I look, it’s something we shouldn’t ignore. I will try to send my man to search for that old man.”

Dong Wook nodded his head when heard what Seung Won said. In fact, his mind also keeps bugging about the situation.

“King Yoon Kye Sang is back!!!”

The announcement from palace make the villagers come out to pay a respect to their King.

“You’re back, Jeonha~”

The queen, Queen Song Hye Kyo greet the King. King Kye Sang smile towards his queen.

“Ye~ seem like you worried a lot.”

“Of course, Jeonha. Guess it’s just my bad dream only.”

King Kye Sang face turn worried when heard what his queen said. Before he could ask, one voice interrupts him.

“Abamama~ I miss you.”

His son and soon to be King, Daegun Yoo Seung Ho run and hug his father. King Kye Sang hug his son back and look his son face carefully.

“Did you being a nice prince, young man?”

“Ye~ abamama. I already grown up, so I know how to behave. No need to worry abamama.”

King Kye Sang just smile hearing his son word.

“What are you holding, Daegun?”

Queen Hye Kyo look her son, and he quickly show it to his mother.

“I don’t know. There are someone who give me yesterday when I going out. That person doesn’t say anything but just give me this only. He said it a present for me.”

King Kye Sang look carefully the thing that his son hold and have bad feeling over it. From outer it’s look like normal doll, but somehow it’s give a creepy feel when took a look of it.

“Daegun~ could you give me the thing your holding. I afraid it something harm for you.”

King Kye Sang gestures one of his bodyguard to take the doll that his son holding. At first, Prince Seungho reluctant to give but seeing his father face, he let it go.

“I will give you something else. Ok?”

“Ye~ abamama.”

“Jeonha~ Minister of Military want to see you.”

King Kye Sang nodded his head when one of his officer come to him.

“We will talk later young man. Be careful. Jung-jon, we will talk later.”

“Ye~ jeonha.”

Both of them bow to the king as he make his way to meet his minister.

As the king enter his room, Cha Seung Won the minister of military bow to him.

“Jeonha, I want you to give permission for me to find the old man.”

King Kye Sang look at Seung Won for a while before thinking about it.

“How about if you send your man to find him?”

“I’m afraid they wouldn’t do their job properly.”

King Kye Sang stand abruptly and his gaze was sharp looking at Seung Won.

“Did you not believe your own man? If you not believe them, how could they protect the country from war!!??”

The sharp tones from his King make Seung Won realize his mistake.

“I’m sorry Jeonha. It was my mistake. It’s not my intent to disobey your word.”

Seung Won keep his head down and ready to take whenever punishment that being given to him.

“You should believe your own man. If not, you can’t trust any of them to take care and leading the army. For now, I want you to send them first.”

“Ye~ jeonha.”

“You may go now.”

Seung Won was reluctant to go. King Kye Sang sensing that his minister has something to said, he look at Seung Won.

“Did you have something to say?”

“Jeonha~ I’m sorry to said, but did something bugging you lately?”

King Kye Sang smile slightly.

“As expected from you. It’s about Grand Prince. He said someone have give him a doll. I don’t know why but somehow I got a bad feeling about it. I want you to find the person who give the prince doll. Also, guarding around the palace with a highest security. ”

“Ye~ jeonha. I will take a look about it and report any unusual movement that happens around this area.”

Seung Won excuse himself and exit from the room. King Kye Sang on other hand was in a deep thinking. Think about the old man, the doll and any possibilities that he never known what will happen.

At night after visit the Grand Prince room, King Kye Sang heading to his room. He find that his queen, waiting for him.

“It must be tiring day for you, Jeonha~”

King Kye Sang smiles sweetly while taking his place besides his wife.

“It’s just something that every king need to think, Jung-jon. Ah~ you said you have bad dream. What dream that happen to you?”

Queen Hye Kyo pause for a while before continuing to say her trouble.

“It’s just when you go to hunting, the bad dream happens, Jeonha. At that time, I was taking a walk near the garden and suddenly there are ruckus outside the palace. Other than that, the sky suddenly turns into a pitch black, and a sudden wind happens. I try to search you and prince, but I can’t find both of you. I don’t know why, but there is another creature that enters our palace and I can’t identify what is it. That’s when I woke up when I feel something, try to choke me, Jeonha.”

King Kye Sang was in a deep thinking about it.

Something not right.

“Jeonha? Jeonha.”

Queen Hye Kyo voice woke him up from his thinking.

“Anything happens jeonha?”

“Nothing. Nothing happens. You must be tired that day. That’s why you get that dream.”

“Ye~ I thought so too.”

“Let’s sleep shall we?”

King Kye Sang try hard to sleep, not wanting to think more about it. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Call Sanghyun-sangseon now. I want to meet him personally.”

“Ye jeonha.”

King Kye Sang gives an order to his one of the officer. A few minutes later, the eunuch come with a worried expression.

“Ye~ jeonha. I came to see you jeonha.”

Sanghyun put his head down to avoid looking at his king’s face.

“I want to ask you. Did you know the existence of the doll that Daegun Seungho get?”

“Ye? Ah~ ye~ jeonha. I know about it.”

“Did you know the person who gives the doll to him?”

“I’m sorry jeonha. But I don’t know who the one gives him the doll.”

Sanghyun was feeling guilty because it supposed his responsible to know where his prince got the doll. This is supposed to be a mistake and a mistake should be punished. Being punished makes you as one of the person who fail to do your work properly.

“Mind to tell me what happen at that day?”

“Ye~ jeonha.”

Sanghyun told the story to the king. He and the prince at that time as usual take a walk outside the palace. Prince bodyguards will follow them in case someone harm the prince. Prince Seungho then want to stop at one stall and fascinated by the stall that sold many different type of doll, the word craving and stone. Sanghyun was feeling creepy because the doll is not ordinary form. It’s look like somehow voodoo doll.

“Old man, why you sold this kind of creepy doll here? Did someone buy it?”

The old man just looks at him without utter any word. The intimate look from old man seller send a shiver to him.

“Daegun, let’s go. I got the bad hunch here.”

Sanghyun whisper to his prince’s ear, wanting his prince to stop from looking at the doll.

“Sanghyun-naesi~ just a minute. Doesn’t that this look cute?”

 Prince Seungho shows the doll to Sanghyun. Before he could respond, he was cut off by the seller.

“Did you want it young man?”

Prince Seungho was interest when heard it. But his face was solemn when think that he shouldn’t buy anything that’s not used to him. The old man seller notice his expression.

“I will give you as present, Daegun. It’s my pleasure.”

“Really?”

“Ye~ daegun.”

“Thank you. I will remember you, old man.”

Prince Seungho was accepted happily his doll and skip happily towards the palace. Eunuch Sanghyun was shocked when saw it, and took a glance towards the seller.

Something not right.

The old men just look at the little prince and smirk inside his mask.

“Did you remember his clothing?”

“Ye~ jeonha. He wears dark cloth, a mask and a big hat to hide his face. That’s why I don’t know who he is. I only saw his eyes only. But the weirdest thing, we never saw that stall before.”

“Sanghyun-sangseon, from now I prohibited Daegun from going out of the palace. He only can play inside the palace. Did you understand?”

“Ye~ jeonha.”

“You can go now.”

The sudden banned for prince to go out give the shock to the villagers. The rumor said it was because there will be a ceremony for Daegun, another rumor said, because it was to protect Daegun from evil spirits that will attack them any time.

“Any sit that available?”

“Ye, ye. We always have sit that available for you. Go at second floor. Two people in second floor!!”

There always a hectic situation inside the store. Many of the villagers come and stop by to eat and gossiping the latest issues on their area.

“Did you hear that Grand Prince was being banned from going out from the palace?”

“I heard about that too. But why?”

“I heard it because there will be a ceremony for Daegun soon.”

The owner store, Yoo Ah Ni said and sit between them.

“I don’t think it was the reason. Did you hear rumors that the evil spirit will come to our villagers soon?”

The bookstore owner, Park Seo Joon said while looking at his friend.

“It’s only the myth. Why should we believe it.”

“That’s true. Did you believe it?”

Owner of the clinic, Song Seung Hun told Seo Joon. Seo Joon looks both of them and sigh.

“I’m book store owner. Of course I know the stories. To say I believe it, you can say about 98% I believe it.”

“So if there will be evil spirit come to our villages, what the relations with Daegun?”

Yoo Ah Ni is questioning Seo Joon. Seo Joon is doing the thinking poses before his smile.

“It have relations. From what I heard, this evil spirit wanted to take over the kingdom a long time ago. But that evil spirit can’t go through this kingdom, if I not mistaken when the deceased King Yoon Shi Yoon rule, he doing some ritual to prevent the evil spirit comes through. I heard it was a long fight between the king and those evil spirits. I don’t know why they call it as an evil spirit. Maybe that thing doesn’t have name.”

Yoo Ah Ni and Seung Hun look at each other and give the questionable look to Seo Joon. Understand the cue, he continues his story.

“Well, that evil spirit has made a promise to come back in 120 years later and another promise he make, he will make sure the Daegun would be the last King standing in Joseon Dynasty.” 

“So you said, those evil spirit know about it?”

“Seem like that thing already predict what will happen.”

Seung Hun seem doesn’t convince with that. Well, he still have doubts about it.

“Doesn’t that the royal king knows about it?”

“Of course. That’s why they banned Daegun from go outside of the palace. Seem like they can predict what will happen.”

Seo Joon said as he sips his tea.

“But why 120 years and target Daegun only?”

“I don’t know about that. From what I read, it says the King, who will rule in 120 years have special ability and that evil spirit want that ability to control the kingdom. But that’s what I read; I don’t know the truth though.”

As those three continue their chatter, they don’t know there will be someone else who heard their conversation.

“Hyeong-nim, the army will come to this place.”

Hearing that the army comes, the man in black dress gets up from his seat. After paying for his seat, he goes out from the store. He glances towards his left direction and can saw an army march in that store. He covers his face using his mask and hat. He turns to the right and leaves the scenes.

Lee Dong Wook who notice the presence of the unusual man decide to follow him. The guys he follows going into the forest. Dong Wook follows him closely. The sudden wind, make Dong Wook stop his track as it was hard for him to walk. In a split second, he can’t find the black man and surprise that the man was vanished into a thin air.

“Why you follow me?”

Dong Wook turn around and surprise to see that the black man behind him. He has drawn his sword and pointing to the black man. Dong Wook can’t recognize who he is as he only can see his eyes only.

“You seem suspicious at least to me.”

“That’s the reason you follow me, Lee Dong Wook?”

Dong Wook eyes grew large when heard the black man know his name. The black man who knows what he thinking, remove his mask and look directly to Dong Wook. To his surprise, he knows that man.