Chapter 1

The Secret : Live or Die

"Yah~ did you heard the rumor that Seungho can see the ghost?"

"Didn't that it's a long time ago?"

"I know. But you know right, he always alone. Everything he does is always alone. Sitting alone, eating alone, looks like he doesn’t have any friend.”

“Sometimes if I go nearest him, I always got a goose bumps. Ugh~ even when we talk about him, I just got a chill behind me.”

Yo Seung Ho just sat silently on his seat. He just ignored the whispered that talk about him. It’s not like a new to him. He already gets used when they talk about him. He took out his earphone and plugged in his ear. He rather listens to song than heard the gossip about him. True to others, he is someone who always alone but to say that he can saw the ghost is something that he doesn’t like to hear. He doesn’t have friend but somehow he manage to continue his study on that school. It’s not that he doesn’t want to be friend with them, he tried but sadly all of them will leave him. Thus, he prefers to be alone.

And he likes it.

“I heard that everyone who befriend with him will ended tragedy. That’s why people always avoiding him.”

“Poor him. He has handsome face but from his look, it’s not like he will kill people right?”

“It’s not like he will kill people, but rumor said he have superstition. That’s why people avoid him.”

That’s it. The reason why all of people he see leave him because they will end with tragedy. He not so sure if it’s because of him or what, but their lives will end a few days after they meet him. To say he have superstition, he not sure himself. But what he knows, he always can feel another presence with him. He can’t see it, but he can feel it. He sure that the presence he feel, make him like that. That’s why he avoids people at any cost to prevent more lives gone.

[Past]

He just 12 years old when he come to this town. None of his relatives want to take care of him after his parents died. That's what he being told by the nurse who take care of him. He not sure why his parents die, how and why he can survive alone. But lucky for him, one of his relatives wants to take care of him. At first, he was reluctant to stay with them but seeing they are like a nice person, he decides to stay with them.

“Seungho-shi, feel free to make yourself home. Ok?”

Seungho just nodded his head towards Ms. Jung request. After put all his belonging to his room, he decide to take a good look to his new surroundings. The place not too big neither small. It’s comfortable for families that stay about 3 people. He go out the garden behind the house and smile when saw various flowers.

It’s so beautiful.

He smile and just when he want to touch the flower, he heard the shouting come from inside the house.

“What are you doing here?”

Seungho was startled when the unknown man asked him. He wore a black cloth and he can feel different aura on him. He doesn’t recognize who he is, but without he know he step backwards avoiding the stranger. Suddenly, one man appears in front of him and he recognizes it was his uncle.

“Are you threatening him?”

Seungho doesn’t sure why, but he knows that his uncle was angry at the stranger. The tone was changed and he can see that his uncle eyes changed. The stare that can make someone being killed at that moment.

“Relax. I wouldn’t harm him. Right, little boy?”

The stranger smile smugly and it send a shiver to him. He can feel the stranger is not someone ordinary and he knows him personally. He makes a mental note to ask his uncle about that. The stranger than leave them without any word and headed towards his car. He doesn’t sure if he saw the car before or not when he going out. He can see someone inside the car and it was a woman. When the stranger with him, he was sure the woman not with them at that time. One thing he remember the shouting inside the house.

It must be between aunt and her.

He glances towards his uncle and saw that his uncle clenched his fist tightly. As his uncle gets the signal from him, Yunho hold Seungho tightly and smile wryly. He just looks into his eyes without utter any word.

I’m sorry for you to go through this.

“Let’s go inside. We need something to settle down.”

For the entire time in dinner, no one spoke any word. He wants to ask about the stranger but he decides to keep it down as the mood is not too good to be asked. Earlier after the incident, when both of them enter the house, he saw his aunt sitting down on the chair look like she was thinking something. He also saw his aunt was tremble badly.

“Seungho-shi, go to your room. Don’t come out before I told you to do so. Understand?”

Seungho just nodded his head and he glanced towards his aunt. She smile assuredly indicate that she was okay. He just sits on his bed thinking about earlier incident. Even though he just 12 years old, he not an ordinary kid. He good at understanding the situation around him. The earlier incident keeps bugging him, and somehow it leads him to sleep.

Yunho took a peek inside Seungho room. He goes to living room and meets up with his sister.

“Should we tell him?”

Sooyeon ask her brother. Yunho just keep quiet and thinking something.

“I don’t think it’s a right time to tell him about this. He just recover and suddenly this thing happens.”

“So, when we should tell him?”

He just looks at his sister and goes to his room. His sister question not being answered and she know what that’s mean.

Dinner time,

“Seungho-shi, after dinner go to your room and sleep. If you have anything, come to our room first. Don’t linger around this house at this late night. It’s dangerous.”

Yunho remind him about the situation. He can see that his uncle was in tensed of something. He nodded his head before headed to his room. He stopped his track and turned to see his uncle.

“Did you need something Seungho-shi?”

“Why uncle and aunt call me with shi in the end of my name? It makes me distance from both of you.”

Seungho said as he smiles to both of them. Both of them look each other and nodded their head.

He not remembers it.

“Ah~ uncle, can I know who the one who came to our house earlier? Who is he and she? Why he know me? Is he our relatives?”

Hearing the question from Seungho, make Sooyeon tensed. Sensing that his sister situation, he smiles to Seungho.

“It’s just someone stranger. You know this area full with unknown people. They like to do strange thing especially to kid. That’s why I want you to be careful. If you want to go somewhere, tell us, we will bring you. Ok?”

Yunho hoping that answer he give satisfied to Seungho. Even though he knows, he wouldn’t convince on what he said, but now he needs to. He doesn’t want to tell it before the right time. Not yet. Even though, Seungho doesn’t convince but from what his uncle said it make sense. He just nodded his head and excuses himself to go to his room.

After make sure Seungho go to his room, Yunho quickly held his sister.

“Are you ok?”

“Yes, I’m ok. Don’t worry. But it’s worried me.”

“What did you mean?”

“Even though he was 12 years old, I know he understand the situation. It’s just it’s not give a clear image to him. I’m afraid he can’t deal with it when he remembers the truth.”

“Did you think if we tell him now, he can accept it? We need to be patient. Only that we can reveal to him. For now, we need to be careful.”

Sooyeon just nodded her head over what his brother said. And she believes what his brother doing is a right thing at this time.

A few days after the incident, their house was in a peace. The house fill with the laughter as nothing happen before. Whenever they go, they always together. Seungho was found a joy with his new family. He sometimes misses his parents, but his uncle and aunt always treat him like their own son. But the happiness is not last longer. One day, his uncle comes rushing to their house in middle of night.

“We need to pack our thing. Now!”

Hearing the urgent from Yunho voice, Sooyeon quickly took Seungho hand and lead to his room.

“Let me pack your belonging.”

Sooyeon was in hurried while Seungho left in a dazed. He doesn’t understand what that’s mean. Why they need to pack their thing? Is there something secret that they wouldn’t tell him about? After they finish their packing, Sooyeon and Yunho took Seungho in the back door.

“Seungho-ah, keep this thing safe. Don’t ever lose it. You really need this one day. Push you urge to open this earlier. When the right comes, you can open this. Now, you escape from this route. We will come to you after we settle here. Go...”

Before Sooyeon can finish her word, their door was barging with unknown person. She quickly hides Seungho in the cabinet. Seungho peek through the cabinet door and saw familiar face.

That ahjusshi.

“Where is he????”

His voice resounding the house.

“Why you want to find him?”

Yunho shield his sister from GoongMin. GoongMin just let a smirk and his piercing stare look between the couple.

“You know the reason. Don’t act dumb. Now, sent him to us then we will ended nicely.”

“Never in your mind.”

Yunho said as he drawn his sword from his back. Seungho look with wide eyes. He never knows his uncle know the magic. In what world the sword can be drawn and before this he never knows the existence of the sword on this residence.

I should learn from him the magic then.

He does the mental note in his mind regarding it.

“Well~ seem like we will doing the hard thing.”

GoongMin said as he also drawn another sword.

What the.

He was astonished when seeing the stranger doing the same thing as his uncle does. The sounds of sword clashing each other fill the house. Both of them doing great in defending their self. Neither of them wants to lose to each other.

“Your skill still good uh?”

“What you going too said to the Best Swordsman in the kingdom?”

Yunho smirk to GoongMin. Without delay, Yunho attack him and successfully make the cut on GoongMin right arm.

Best Swordsman in Kingdom? What kingdom?

GoongMin look at his injured arm and send a death glare to Yunho. He get up and ready to attack his opponent. Yunho already send a signal to his sister to quickly send safely Seungho out from this house.

“Why so hard for you to send him to us!!!”

He shouts in angry while pointing his sword towards Yunho. Sooyeon quickly get Seungho from cabinet and slowly go out from the house.

“Go to this residence. This is the key. Stay there. We will come to you. Go.”

Sooyeon took the key and a piece of paper of address to him.

“Aunt, why you not come with me?”

She looks sadly into his eyes. She caresses his face and smile weakly.

“We will. I and uncle will come to you. Sooner or later. But for now, you need to survive by yourself. Don’t believe in others people. Follow what your heart say and believe it. This is dangerous world. I afraid I can’t teach you about that. Remember what I said before. This necklace is important. Don’t lose it.”

She put the antique necklace around his neck. His eyes already watery. She pushes him and asks him to go. Even though he was reluctant to leave but he need to, because he knows he was in a danger situation. Even he doesn’t know why the stranger needs him. He runs as the tears streaming on his face. He stops at the forest not too far from his house and his eyes widen in instant.

“Uncle Yunho!! Aunt Sooyeon!!!!”

He cries as he looks at their burning house. His house was burned, and his aunt and uncle still inside the house. It’s mean they already dead. He then saw something familiar out of his building.

That stranger.

He quickly runs inside the forest fear of getting chased by the stranger. Truth to be told, GoongMin told his man to chase him inside the forest. Even though he was not sure whether the child inside the forest or not, but GoongMin can feel his presence. 

“Did you find him?”

He asks his man who track the kid. All of his man just shaking their head. GoongMin was furious when heard the result. His eyes were in a rage and he pulled his sword and slices one of his men.

“This is what you get when you not find him carefully.”

He said as he gritted his teeth. His men don’t dare to look into his eyes. They were scared and don’t want to get the same treatment as their colleagues.

[Back to present] 

“Aaah….”

Seungho grunted when he feel something hit his head. He looks at the source and can saw Mr. Choi look at him with squinted eyes.

“Mr. Seungho, if you don’t want to stay in this lesson, you may leave now. Ah~ it’s ok. You can stay. I don’t want to risk my lives. Fine, do whatever you want.”

Seungho just ignored Mr. Choi and look outside his classroom. Even his teacher believes the rumor about him. He also heard some of his classmates whispered about him. 

There no one I can believe in this world.

All day along, he doesn’t give a full attention in the lesson that day. The schools hour just ended and it’s something exciting for other students but not to Seungho its means another lifeless routine. Go to school, back to school, going home, all alone. If for other person, there will be someone who waited for them, but him? No one waited him in his house.

He walks to his home in his usual path. But that time, he feels strange. Feel like there is someone who follows him secretly. He stopped his track and squat down to pretend tie his shoelaces. From his behind, he saw a shadow of men. He casually walks and sprint to other direction. He can sense the men follow him.

So they follow me.

Seungho smirk while sprint to the small alley. He hides in a dark corner and took a peek. He can saw there are two mans stopped and looking like they search for something. Seungho try to recognize the stranger when he can detect the uniform they used.

Is not they are Hoya and Seungjae? Why they follow me??

“Aish~ not again. I think he really use something to hide himself.”

Tsk~ you just fool for not finding me here.

“I think so too. You know, we already following him several time, but he always manage to escape from us. Like he vanished in instant.”

Follow me several times?

Seungho try to remember when they follow him but it’s such a vain.

“I think the rumor is true.”

“So should we say that it’s true then not just a rumor?”

Hoya and Seungjae smile and high five each other. Seungho on other hand feel angry and try to calm his heart. He goes out from his hiding. As he goes near to them, he put his arm around Hoya and Seungjae and sudden contact startled both of them.

“So you are the one who spread the rumor about me? Uh?”

Seungho said while smirk. The way he smile make both of them shiver.

“A… ani... aniyo. Not us.”

Hoya said while prays that both of them don’t end their lives today. The ways he look so dangerous, feel that they could be killed at that day.

“Really? Then why you follow me?”

“We just... just want to confirm that you really can saw the ghost or have superstition like the rumor said.”

“Yeah~ that’s true. We want to see ourselves. Did the rumor is true or not.”

Seungho just smile when heard about it. He took a deep breath and pats both of them shoulders.

“So what your conclusion after following me?”

“We conclude that you really have superstition.”

Seungho give the questioning look to Seungjae, for him to continue.

“Because when we run after you, we can’t find you everywhere and you just popped out nowhere. Like this.”

Seungjae said while looking at Seungho. He just smiles over it.

“I was hiding. I hide at …”

As he wants to point the corner that he hides before, he couldn’t find it. He was dumbstruck for a while and shifts his gaze towards the other two. Hoya and Seungjae just look at him with a puzzle look.

I’m sure I hide at that corner. Where the corner?

“Um… Seungho-shi?”

Hoya tries to get his attention while waving his hand. Seungho clear his throat and smile weakly.

“Ani~ I just hide. Why you can’t find me?”

“You hide? Where?”

“Did you hide inside the dustbin??”

“Nope. Behind the dustbin to be exact.”

He lucky that there are dustbin in the corner and can be used as his reason.

“Ah~ seem like both of us fail to find you. Seem like you are good in hiding.”

Hoya and Seungjae smile in relieve.

“Seem like both of us wrong about you. Sorry. We doesn’t mean that way. We just want to find the truth.”

“It’s ok. I just hope you not spread another rumor then.”

Both of them nodded their head and they excuse their self to go home. After make sure, they don’t come into his sight, he look at the direction where he hides. He was so sure himself that he hides in the dark alley but those alleys doesn’t come in his sight.

He sat on the couch and still thinks about the earlier incident. Why the alleys disappear? Is he really having superpower? But how, why and when? If his uncle and aunt still alive at least he can know the answer. It seem they hiding something from him. He touches the necklace that his aunt put on him tightly.

“Aunt and uncle, I miss you so much.”