Secrets

Secrets (One-Shot)


The thought persisted in the back of her head, regardless of how hard EunMi tried to dismiss it. The growing suspicions were like weeds in a garden--relentless, perpetual, unsettling.

'It can't be true,' EunMi thought to herself, 'It just can't be true.'

She and ChangMin had been dating for over eleven months now, and in two days, it would be a year. So it couldn't be true. EunMi repeated this in her head countless times, but she was still worried. She still thought about it. She was trying not to believe it.

 

 

ChangMin was cheating on her.

Just yesterday, ChangMin was talking to someone, using the tone he usually only used when talking to EunMi. With her ear pressed to the door of the guest bedroom as closely as possible, she tried to hear what ChangMin was saying, but his words sounded like an encrypted code to her. But he was talking, nonetheless. To finally find out what was going on, EunMi had let herself in, pretending to be looking for her iPod. When she casually asked ChangMin who he was talking to, he answered,

"N-No one."

The tiny stutter didn't go unnoticed, but EunMi pretended she didn't hear it, taking extra note of the nervous smile on ChangMin's face and the way he shifted his weight from his left foot to the right. After telling him she would look for her iPod in the kitchen, she quietly left, her suspicions only rising.

Earlier today, she had caught ChangMin talking to someone named "No One" again, and the uneasy smile reappeared on his face.

And now, here EunMi was, with her ear practically attached to the door in attempt to comprehend the jumbled words spoken by ChangMin. Leaning in closer, she was able to pick out words here and there.

"That was close yesterday...starting to think...not the best thing to do...can't stop now..."

EunMi stepped away from the door, horrified at what she'd heard. ChangMin didn't want to stop cheating on her? With tears in her eyes, EunMi ran to her room, slammed the door shut, and flung herself on the bed.

A few moments later, ChangMin opened the door and cautiously sat on the edge of the bed.

"Hey... Is something wrong?" he softly asked, worried, and reached out to touch her shoulder. EunMi, however, turned away from him and buried her face in the pillow.

"...Let's break up," she forced herself to say, almost choking on the last word. She felt the bed shift, knowing ChangMin had turned to face her.

"W-What..? Why?"

"You don't love me, so just...just go," EunMi barely whispered, but ChangMin heard it clearly. Once again, the mattress shifted and she heard ChangMin kneel by the bedside, trying to catch her gaze.

"EunMi-yah, why...why would you think that? I love you more than anything in the whole world. Please...don't do this. I love you..."

EunMi accidentally met the other's desperate gaze, and she instantly felt the urge to forgive him. She knew she probably shouldn't have, but a part of her--a big part of her--loved ChangMin. She just couldn't bear to part with him.

"I'm sorry," EunMi choked out, "I...I don't know what I was thinking..."

Instantly, ChangMin smiled and let out a small sigh of relief.

"I love you, EunMi-yah...no matter what."

When EunMi woke up the next morning, ChangMin was nowhere to be seen. She knew his college classes were earlier in the morning than hers, but she still couldn't shake the thought that he was walking around Seoul with his arm around another girl. During all her classes, she could hardly focus on her teachers' lectures because all she could think about was ChangMin with a girl who wasn't her.

Quietly entering their apartment later that afternoon, EunMi furtively looked around, seeing ChangMin's shoes in the doorway, but the owner to be nowhere in sight. As if on cue, ChangMin's laughter was heard from the guest bedroom, as well as an unmistakable "Hey, she might find out!"

Gathering all the courage she had, EunMi made her way to the door, listening to ChangMin talk.

"You're so cute. You want a kiss? Okay, sure. It won't be long until I tell EunMi about you. Then, we won't have to keep this all a secret anymore."

EunMi remained frozen in front of the door.

It was true.

ChangMin was cheating on her, and he was going to break up with her soon. He also seemed happy to do so.

When ChangMin opened the door a minute later, he froze in place, not expecting to find his girlfriend there. He immeditately became tense and stuttered,

"E-EunMi-yah! You're...you're home early! How was you day?"

EunMi could only look up at ChangMin, wondering where they went wrong. She was so confused about everything, but yet...she knew what she had to do.

"ChangMin-ah... Is something going on?"

Her voice was calm, but on the inside, she felt like she would fall apart any moment. ChangMin continued his act and replied,

"Going on? Nothing's going on. Why would something be going on?"

His words were like a vicious stab to EunMi's heart. Suddenly raising her voice, she yelled,

"Don't lie to me, Changmin-ah! I know you don't love me anymore, so quit pretending that you do!"

"Why would you think that, EunMi-yah?!" Changmin returned, his voice just as loud. "You know I love you, so don't think otherwise!"

"Then how do you explain your behaviour these past few days? Huh?! You're hardly around anymore, ChangMin-ah. You're always busy doing something else! But I don't care anymore, so just let me go, since that's what you want!"

EunMi started to walk away, but ChangMin swiftly took hold of her arm, turning her around to face him.

"Why would I ever want to let you go?!" ChangMin desperately asked. "I love you, EunMi-yah!"

"Then why are you keeping secrets from me?!" EunMi shot back, choking on her own tears that were now streaming down her cheeks.

A look of guilt washed over ChangMin, and he slowly released her arm, looking down at the floor and back up to EunMi. He moved his mouth, but no words came out. After a whole minute of silence, he sighed in defeat.

"I'm sorry, EunMi-yah. I'm...I'm such an idiot. I screwed everything up. I just... I wanted everything to be perfect. But, I didn't think you'd be so upset about it..."

"How could I not be upset when you're cheating on me?"

ChangMin immediately looked up at EunMi's face, an unreadable expression plastered on his face.

"Ch-cheating..? You think I'm cheating on you?"

"What other explanation is there?" EunMi asked, yet another tear falling down her face.

To her suprise, ChangMin began laughing loudly, clutching his sides and leaning against the wall for support. After catching his breath, he gently wiped EunMi's tears and sweetly kissed her forehead.

"EunMi-yah... I love you so much, you know that?"

He gently kissed her on the lips this time. "I would never--in my entire life--cheat on you."

"Then...but... I don't understand," EunMi stammered, too confused to cry anymore. ChangMin chuckled softly and opened the guest bedroom door. Soon after, a small brown and white puppy came skipping out, its tail wagging in excitement.

"...A dog?"

ChangMin hugged the girl tightly and started laughing again.

"EunMi-yah... My EunMi-yah, I love you. I was going to give this to you tomorrow for our anniversary... And your birthday, but I guess you found out. Kind of."

He was right.

Tomorrow would be their one-year anniversary. And EunMi's own birthday. She had been so worried about ChangMin cheating on her that she had completely forgotten.

Her face burning scarlet in embarrassment, EunMi buried her face in her boyfriend's shoulder, mumbling,

"I'm sorry, ChangMin-ah... I'm so sorry. Please forgive me..."

ChangMin chuckled, smiling into her hair, and hugged the girl even tighter, swaying from side to side, replying,

"I'll forgive you because you're so cute, and because I love you, EunMi-yah."

He kissed her forehead once more with all the love in his heart.

 

 

"Besides, the dog is a boy."

 

 


LOL I can't stop laughing at this couple's F-A-I-L. Hahaha! But, I'm not sure if outside readers will think it's funny, so... OTL

Did you like it? :'DDD I apologize if this story was too stereotypical or obvious. I just really wanted to write a story with this as the plot. >.<

Comments = ♥ ♥ ♥