Ch.8

Every cloud has a silver lining

Luhan had just finished his second shift with Purple Rain and despite 3 broken glasses and a ton of beer that shot out of the tap onto his work attire he had a good run. Learning the art of being a bartender came easy to him. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Minseok was the one who taught him. Heechul had been very satisfied with his hard work and was extremely impressed consider the world Luhan came from. He was proud of himself for making it this far in such a short period. He had been able to find an employer and do his job to immediate satisfaction. He worked hard to make Minseok trust him so he would give him the chance of becoming friends. And Luhan thought that Sehun was warming up to him as well. Sometimes Luhan would stop by the cafe to pick up coffee’s for his boss and co workers. The first time he did that Sehun had annoyedly told him that he didn’t like coffee. Luhan had discussed the matter with Minseok on their date that evening and the elder mentioned Sehun liked bubble tea best, preferable the chocolate one. So next time he entered the establishment he had 4 coffees and a chocolate bubble tea in his hands offering them to his colleagues. Sehun was shocked seeing what he was offered.

 

“How-how on earth do you know?” he asked with a clear hint of dissatisfaction that his ‘enemy’ knew one of his likes.

 

“A little birdie told me” Luhan simply answered with a shrug. Although he couldn't help but notice the glare Sehun threw towards Minseok.

 

“That little and his stupid boyfriend. Why am I his friend. Damnit” Sehun mumbled before grabbing the bubble tea cup.

 

“What was that you said?” He asked with a smirk because he clearly heard that and he wanted Sehun to know.

 

“Nothing” the younger quickly mumbled before he took a big sip of his drink. There was a bright red blush staining his cheeks. He knew very well that Luhan had heard everything.

 

But despite everything that was going well in his life, there as still a little grey cloud circling above his head, soaking him with rain and tormenting him with thunder. It was a storm he had to get rid of quickly before he would get sick. Since he had everything in order, and Yixing felt more and more confident about his offer of working for Luhan’s parents each passing day, both boys felt it was time to tell his parents of their plan. Luhan had asked Minseok if he would be able to take his shift today so that he didn’t have to rush informing his mother and father of his permanent decision. The elder wholeheartedly agree and wished him and Yixing good luck. Minseok had also asked if Luhan would text him the outcome of their talk. He promised he would as soon as it was over. Luhan trusted Minseok and he wanted to keep the elder updated of his life just as much as he wanted to know what happened to the other.

 

He had met up with Yixing after school for a cup of coffee and to discuss the strategy they had been working on for the past days. Now both boys were nervously standing in front of his dad’s office waiting to be called in. Luhan couldn’t stop biting his lips and Yixing was fumbling with his fingers. Suddenly the stern voice of Mr. Lu came through the door.

 

“Come in boys!”

 

*****

 

The office of Luhan’s father was nothing short of impressive. Although the interior looked simple, modern and to be fair quite plain the whole room seemed to be oozing money and status. In the corner of his eye Luhan noticed a horse statue that he made when he was 12 years old out of clay. It has been a school project on which he received the highest mark. He was touched that his father was capable of showing signs of love for his son, even though he had to look long and hard to find them. Mr. Lu was sitting in his big dark brown leather office chair with a nearly 2 meter long dark wooden desk in front of his tiny figure. The grandness of the office and its furniture made his father look like the smallest person on earth. It felt surprisingly soothing to him, and it calmed his raging nerves. His father wasn’t at all a bad man, but he was very intimidating and scary. The man had always done what he thought was in the best interest for his family and his name. What Luhan was about to tell him wouldn’t be falling in that category. What would be best for the Lu family name was the heir to the company taking over, not his best friend and semi permanent member to the Lu family. If Luhan would follow his father’s train of thought, he wouldn’t have chosen to change his major. They wouldn’t even be here to have this conversation. However here they were, and Luhan knew he wasn’t like his father. He was more headstrong and independent like his mother. She didn’t follow the path that was laid out for her. Instead she married the man she loves deeply, and worked hard to built their social status and good name. He felt strangely confident thinking about his mother, and all that she sacrificed and went through in order to do what she felt was right. But also Minseok left a few words of encouragement that were haunting him in the back of his mind.

 

“This is YOUR life Lu. Whatever you decide to do, whatever the consequences, they are yours and yours alone. If you want something you have got to work your hardest to achieve them. The higher you climb, the more you shall see and the stronger you shall be for we all have burdens that we must carry with us. But always do what your heart tells you. Those who truly love you will remain by your side, holding your hand or cheering you on from the sidelines. If your father disowns you, or disagrees and punishes you, so be it. Fight back, follow your heart and prove the er wrong.” Minseok said strongly, passionately and with a giggle towards the end. He apologized for swearing and mentioned he was too caught up in the moment.

 

Luhan smiled when he remembered the flustered look on Minseok’s face when he realised he just called Mr. Lu a er. Sadly he was quickly brought out of this fond memory when his father’s loud voice echoed through the room.

 

“Yixing… Luhan… What brings the two of you here at this hour of the day? I was surprised to see you called the meeting.”  

 

Yixing and Luhan both took a seat in a chair before Yixing started to talk. When they prepared for this meeting they had agreed on Yixing speaking first so that Luhan could get over his nerves and figure out in what state his father was in. If the man was groggy and annoyed then they would quickly end the meeting, but when he was in a good mood then Luhan would be taking over the conversation.

 

“We are really sorry to bother you sir, but I was wondering if I could perhaps offer you a business proposition?” his best friend started. Luhan took a close look at his father and he swore he saw a little twinkle in the man’s eye. He knew how much of a soft spot he had for Yixing and how much he loved the hear the words business proposition.

 

“You certainly may, Yixing. What do you have to offer me?” Mr. Lu kindly responded. Luhan gave his friend a quick nod. The man seemed to be in a rather good mood and this was the time to break the news to him.

“As you are well aware I have been studying really hard to complete my masters in Business and currently I am ranked second place. Since you and Mrs. Lu have been so good to me all these years, I would like to offer you my services within your company.” Yixing started. Mr. Lu snorted and was about to comment when Luhan intercepted him.

 

“Listen to him dad, please?” Luhan begged. Mr. Lu focused his attention back to Yixing.

 

“Please continue”

 

“All that I ask for is an internship within the company. You won’t have to pay me, or do me any favors just because I am your son’s best friend. I have showed you how hard I can work, you know of my capabilities and most importantly you have once mentioned I have the same drive and spirit that you once possessed. I like to work my way to the top, and I don’t like to be treated differently. So all I ask is an unpaid internship, so that I can gain experience and get to know your company better.” Yixing continued.

 

“What’s in it for me?” Mr. Lu asked.

 

“You will gain another employee who you don’t have to pay. You’d get extra work done.” Yixing said confidently. His best friend was radiating confidence. He sat solemnly in his chair, boldly talking to his father and trying to persuade  him that this was a good idea. When Luhan took a good look at his father he knew something was wrong. The man’s eyes were glued to him instead of to Yixing.

 

“I have the feeling there is more to this proposition than meets the eye. Why would my son be here when you, Yixing, are the only one mentioned in the conversation? Surely we are acquainted enough that we can have this talk alone.”  

 

Luhan and Yixing looked at each other and sighed. His father had seen through them and he did have a point. It was strange that Luhan was there if only Yixing was talking business. His best friend had been like a second son to his father for many years so it wasn’t like Luhan had just introduced them. They were discovered so it was now or never Luhan thought. He plucked up the courage and went for it.

 

“Actually there is one more thing.” Luhan started and his father shifted all the way to the back of his seat. His gaze focussed on his son.

 

“Since I will be paying for school myself I have decided that I will change my major and do what I love instead of taking over the family business. It is not my forte and I wish I was good at but my heart isn’t in it. I am afraid that with hard work alone I still wouldn’t be able to do a good job to maintain our good status. I’d hate to see the company that you and mom built go to waste. Which is why I talked to Yixing and he offered to take an internship. I felt it was my duty to find a good and upstanding replacement for you. I am confident that Yixing will do well as heir to the company. His grades are outstanding, he is passionate, has his own ideas and views and is very sociable. Also he has been my friend since childhood. I love him and he has been a loyal member of our family throughout those years. We hope to get your approval.” Luhan finished. Half way through the speech Yixing had took a hold of his hand. Best friends forever, through hardships and good times. It was a promise they had made the first day that they spent together. So far neither of them had broken it, and neither of them ever would. Both boys hoped that the stern looking man in front of them would agree. So far it didn’t look good.

 

The silence seemed to last for an hour when in reality it were only 2 minutes. Luhan was staring at his father, trying to read his mind and to see whether he could find a clue as to what he thought. He received nothing. Then Mr. Lu took a deep breath.

 

“I wish I could support you in this choice Luhan but as CEO of this company I can not.” he started. Luhan felt himself deflate in the chair.

 

“However as your father I am afraid I have no other choice. Your mum and I want you happy. Therefore I accept you changing your major and offering Yixing as your replacement. As a business man I admire and applaud your sense of duty. You are better than you think, Lu. But follow your heart, always follow your heart.” Mr. Lu continued. Luhan let out the breath he didn’t know he had been holding. He jumped up and gave his father a hug. Normally he was aware of his emotions around his father since the elder didn’t like intimacy unless it was with his wife.

 

Mr. Lu stood up and walked over to Yixing, shaking his hand.

 

“I accept your offer young man. Me and mrs. Lu would be proud to have you as our son and heir to the company. However your internship… will be paid. I encourage your passion, will and hard work but hard work should also be rewarded. Welcome to the company son.” he said and gave Yixing a pat on his shoulder.

 

“Thank you sir. I won’t let you down sir. Thank you” Yixing said politely, bowing 90 degrees each time he finished a sentence.

 

“Now, now stop with the formalities. Please call me dad. You know you have done so for years.” Mr. Lu smiled.

 

“Thank you dad. Really from the bottom of my heart, thank you” Yixing replied with a big grin. Luhan was smiling too. A flutter of happiness he normally only felt when he was with Minseok spread around his chest. He almost couldn’t believe his father had agreed. He made a mental note to ask Yixing to pinch him once they were out of the office.

 

“Lu, before you go, tell me what is it that you want to do?” his father asked.

 

“I want to teach english. I have learned it ever since I was young because it would be beneficial to me. You taught me that knowing it would make me a citizen of the world. I want to pass that knowledge on and provide a new generation with the same chances and opportunities that I have gained through knowing the language.” Luhan explained passionately. This was the moment to get his father even more on his side.

 

“That’s a noble goal. Education isn’t a bad profession at all and it seems you have really thought this through. To want to help people, and make their lives a little better even though it is through language is a wonderful thing. Did you know that your mother wanted to teach as well? Has she ever told you?” his father told him.

 

“She did? Why did she change her mind?” Luhan asked.

 

“She fell in love with a man who wanted to shoot for the stars in the world of offices, suits and meetings. She always said that her love for me was stronger than her will to teach kids. But that is all I know. If you want to know then you have to discuss it with your mother. Tell her about your dream, about your decision and I am sure she would be over the moon to hear it. You are truly your mother’s child. Except your stubbornness you got from me” his father laughed. It was true. Luhan was almost identical to his mother. He had her delicate face, kind personality and now also her initial ideas. He told his father he would definitely discuss this with his mother.

 

“Thank you for your support father. It really means alot to me that you give me this kind of freedom. I do feel regretful that I cannot take your place, but it honestly wouldn’t make me happy.” Luhan mentioned another time when they were about to leave.

 

“Don’t worry about it son. Just make sure to tell your mother too okay? Now I have to get back to work. Yixing, I’ll be in touch with you regarding the internship.” Mr. Lu said.

 

“That would be good sir. Thank you!” Yixing bowed again. Luhan laughed at the politeness and good manners of his best friend. I hope he will never change he thought.

 

“I will see you later boys” the elder said before he guided them out of the office.

 

“Oh and Xing, work on calling me dad” he said with a hint of laughter before he closed the door.

 

Luhan and Yixing rushed their way out of the building and nearly collapsed once they stepped out the door. All the tension and nerves that both of them felt came pouring out.

 

“Oh my god Lu. For a moment I thought he would never agree. I knew that playing the ‘he is almost like a son’ card was risky because your father doesn’t show emotion much, but I honestly never suspected this.” Yixing almost shouted out of excitement.

 

“Neither did I. I thought my life would’ve been over but it turns out that my father is the biggest surprise of the century. I don’t think I will ever learn how his mind and heart works.” Luhan laughed.

 

“He truly did take us by surprise. I am so happy for you Lu. You can do what you want!” Yixing exclaimed and enveloped his friend in a tight hug. Luhan wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist and gave a little squeeze. When they broke the hug Yixing asked whether he wanted to go to Purple Rain and celebrate. The younger figured that Luhan wanted to go there and tell the good news to Minseok anyway.

 

“I would love to but I kinda want to take Minseok out on a real date. If that is alright with you? I promise you that we can celebrate tomorrow, you and me, all day long.” Luhan offered. He felt bad to cancel on his best friend like this but he wanted to have quality time with Minseok and perhaps see if they could take their relationship to the next level. Everything was working out for him. He could change his major without too many consequences, he had a good paying job he could combine with his studies, he had his best friend by his side so the only thing that was missing was Minseok.

 

“Does that mean what I think you mean?” Yixing asked hopefully and with a big grin on his face.


Luhan chuckled. “Yes Yixing that mean we can play that game you love for the entire day!” he said. The younger squealed and hugged his friend a little tighter time. He let him go and bid goodbye to Luhan, saying he would see him tomorrow morning at 11 am sharp.

*****

A/N:  Hello everybody, my sincerest apologies for taking this long. I struggled a little with writing this, where to stop and how to continue from here. This is pretty much how far everything's thought out and now I can work on an end for this one. I still cannot believe how far I've come with this. My very first, poorly written out fic has become a chaptered one that's received so much love. Thank you all so much. It means a lot for me. Please anticipate at least one more chapter. I will work hard! Thanks once again <3