Ch. 4

Every cloud has a silver lining

Luhan was having a lot of fun being here at the cafe with Minseok. He had expected it to be awkward due to their past but the older was surprisingly good with everything and that made him feel much more at ease and comfortable. Normally he felt afraid of making contact with people, only sticking with Yixing since he had known the guy for ages. With everything that had happened he didn’t know whether or not he would be able to trust certain people so he stuck to the one person that he was able to put his trust in.

 

Trust has always been an issue with Luhan. He was never sure whether people liked him for who he was, or whether they were after him because of his status, or if they were looking for a way to use him for his money. He may not have shown it a lot but he always thought that being born in the world his parents found themselves in was quite a burden. Others see it as  a dream come true. In a way it was. Having money is nice because you don’t have the worries of not being able to pay the bills, and you won’t hesitate to buy that pair of shoes you really like. However having money also allows people to put a label on you, to say you’re arrogant, or snobby even though you might not be like that personally. Having money equals having a certain status that you have to live up to. Luhan stopped counting the society parties or other frivolities he had to attend because his parents were going or organized them. It was an obligation to show your face at this gatherings otherwise you most likely had problems and you would be the talk of the town, constant feed for the gossip mill until you attended the next event. To Luhan it was a shallow world he lived in, but as was his obligation as a filial son he had to bear the burden with grace and dignity.

 

However, lately he had gotten the feeling of being suffocated. Luhan knew it was his task to act and do just as his parents wanted of him in order to please their friends and acquaintances. It started to bother him more and more as he got older because he found himself unable to do the things he wanted. He felt as if he was only putting on an act and not being himself. He was forced into the world his parents lived in, and he never wanted to seem ungrateful towards them for giving him everything and he did enjoyed the good life he had, but it was not something that he felt he belonged to.

 

Right now, being with Minseok  in a simple looking cafe filled with warmth, knowing he doesn’t have anything anymore makes him feel liberated. He can finally breathe and take a step on his own path. It was something he figured out very quickly, how much happier he was knowing that he lost the status of ‘rich boy’. He would be able to change his major from business to teaching which wasn’t a path his parents wanted him to follow. Since he was now going to pay for his own schooling Luhan wanted to pay for something he actually enjoyed doing. He was able to associate himself with people like Minseok and not feel scared or worried he would be doing the wrong thing. He was one of them now technically, and it made him feel a lot more free. Luhan just wanted to skip along the streets of this big city throwing flower petals wherever he went, he was just that happy right now. Minseok snapped him out of it by asking why it was that he wanted to talk about first.

“Well firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to meet me. Secondly I was wondering perhaps if we could start by getting to know each other a little bit?” Luhan suggested. He thought that it might be best if they both eased into it slowly rather than immediately going to him needing Minseok’s help.

 

“I think that’s a great idea. So, and I am sorry if this comes of as rude but, perhaps you’d like to tell me a bit about where you came from? Your parents, the world you live in and maybe why you acted the way you did?” Minseok shyly asked. Luhan knew he was going to be asked this sometime. He felt lucky that he was allowed to give an explanation. To talk about it with someone who will most likely understand him. Yixing was out of the question because he was in the same world as Luhan used to, actively, be in but on the contrary to him, Yixing was allowed to be himself and do what he wanted. It was a feeling he never knew nor received from his parents.

 

“You weren’t rude and I’d be happy to shed some light onto where I come from. And it would please me even more to explain my behaviour towards so many people. It’s going to be a long story if that’s alright with you?” Luhan inquired. Minseok moved a little in his seat as if to make himself more comfortable, then smiled and told him to continue the conversation.

 

“Well, as you know I am born into a very wealthy family that my parents have built for themselves. I study business management because they want to offer me a job within their company and hand over the family’s worth and stuff to me. I’ve been dragged to so many social gatherings with their friends and business associates that I can’t even count them on 10 hands anymore.” He scoffed. Minseok was still looking at him attentively, taking a sip of his coffee every now and then.

 

“I love my mum and dad very much, and they have raised me well. They always made sure I was comfortable, gave me everything I wanted, took me everywhere I wanted to go. That is if they were able to took time out of their schedules to take me places. I am grateful for all that they have given me, and I know that they love me but I was alone most of the time. I wished that they would’ve focussed a little more on their son, than their company. I am happy that I have Yixing my side. You’ve met him before right?” Luhan asked.

“Yeah I did, we share a class together so I know him a little bit. Also I am sorry to hear your parents kind of neglected you a little bit.” Minseok answered. Both boys looked at each other for a moment, feeling their bond growing little by little.

 

“Oh that’s alright. I am not really bitter about it because I think I know how hard they have worked for it. Besides I know that they love me.” He gave the older a small smile showing he was indeed fine with this. It took the pressure out of the conversation.

 

“You’ve mentioned social gatherings? What’s that like if you don’t mind me asking?” Minseok questioned.

 

“To be honest, pure torture” Luhan started. Both boys laughed at that. “I never genuinely liked these kind of people my parents socialize with. Except for Yixing of course. Most of those people are shallow. They gossip about each other if someone doesn’t attend an event and that’s just rude. It’s unfair to treat people like that. Also everyone is so fake. I even heard my mother say she doesn’t like any of the people. They will act they do in order to enjoy the benefits the acquaintance can offer them. Like I said it’s a very shallow business and I have never felt comfortable around them” he explained. Minseok was staring at him with his mouth slightly open, nodding along to show he was listening intently. Luhan thought it was kind of cute the way the elder was looking right now.

 

“I always thought that you liked it. It’s always the way you acted” Minseok said with surprise in his voice.

 

“That’s right, that’s always how I ‘acted’” he responded, making sure to put an extra emphasis on acted. Minseok only looked at him with an ever more confused look. His eyebrows were knitted together cutely and his mouth pursed together as if he was solving one of the world problems.

 

“When I figured out that people only saw me a certain way, thinking they knew me I decided to just become what they made me out to be. It was easier than trying to change the opinion of dozens of people. I know it was a wrong move but since I had been acting all my life it was the easiest and most familiar thing for me to do.” He explained.

 

“Aaaaah~. I think I understand.” Minseok said.

 

Luhan felt a tingle of happiness in his chest. There was someone who understood him, who let him open up and tell his side of the story rather than holding on to a fixed picture of him.

 

“Why put time and effort into something that most likely won’t change. That’s it right?” Minseok asked.

 

“Yes, oh my god. Yes that’s it. It seemed to me that dozens of people already thought they knew me so I just played along.” Luhan said excitedly. Minseok picked up on the sparkle in the younger’s eyes again and felt his face heat up. Luhan was oblivious to it and continued the conversation.

 

“I know that the more honest thing would’ve been to stay true to myself. I realise that now that everyone who ever knew me wants nothing to do with me anymore. I’ve only ruined it for myself and it is something that I regret doing.” Luhan said, suddenly feeling very down. Minseok saw it and wanted to provide some encouragement, so he took Luhan’s hand in his own and squeezed it a bit.

 

Luhan looked at their linked hands and then looked up at the guy sitting across from him. For once he was looking at him, actually looking at him and seeing everything he didn’t see before. How Minseok’s face was round with chubby cheeks. How his eyes were a sharp contrast to his soft features but were made beautiful by the colour of brown, allowing his eyes to ooze warmth. He saw how his lips were thin and when he smiled it would show off a gorgeous set of teeth. Luhan had to chuckled because he just realised the Minseok reminded him a little bit of a squirrel.

 

Then they realised they had just been looking at each other, staring and holding hands. Minseok’s eyes widened and left go of Luhan’s hand then cleared his throat.

 

“What’s most important is the way you deal with your mistakes and their possible regrets. You have decided to come to me for help, and to change.” Minseok said. “It is a good thing you’re doing what you do now.” he continued.

 

“I suppose you are right” Luhan smiled. “I do need your help though but would you first like to tell me about yourself?” he asked.

 

“No problem” Minseok chuckled. The air around them was completely devoid of any tension. It wasn’t as thick as when they started talking and Luhan was happy that they were seeming to get along as well as they were doing. They were laughing, listening to each other and most importantly getting to know each other.

 

“Oh wait a minute, I want to get us another cup of coffee if we’re going to stay here longer. What were your drinking? My treat” Luhan exclaimed excitedly.

 

“Uh.. A-Americano.. Please” Minseok said shyly. A tint of red staining his cheeks which this time didn’t go completely unnoticed by Luhan. ‘Gosh he is so cute’  he thought. He winked at the elder and walked over to the counter to place their order. When the barista was busy making their drinks he turned around and took another good look at the boy he had the pleasure of spending this day with. Minseok was smaller than him, but was better built. Luhan made a mental note to ask whether he participated in any sport because he sure had the body for it (or that Luhan thought). His hair was black and middle parted, accentuating his strong looking eyebrows. He was very handsome, and Luhan was shocked that it was the first time he ever truly noticed it. Sure he had joked about it a lot before but never meant it. He knew it was wrong, and there was a part of him that worried whether or not he had led him on and if that was the reason why Minseok had agreed to meet him. On the other hand he also experienced a disinterest from Minseok that made it a lot easier to , because it showed that he wasn’t interested anyway. It could be one of both but Luhan was determined to do right this time, and if he started to grow fond of the boy then it would be for real and not an act.

 

“Your order is up sir” the young woman behind the counter shook him out of his thoughts. He politely thanked her, took the drinks and slowly made his way over to their table again. Minseok was busy looking at something in his phone, smiling whilst typing quickly. Luhan was wondering if the boy had a boyfriend, or a girlfriend and whether he was texting them right now. Luhan unconsciously quickened his pace to get Minseok to stop typing sooner rather than later.

 

“Hi seok, here’s your americano” Luhan said when putting the hot mug in front of the smaller. He took a glance on his phone (wrong Luhan wrong!) and let out a sigh of relief when he saw he was only texting his mother. ‘What a nice son he is to be texting his mother’  he thought.

 

“Thank you Lu” Minseok said gratefully. He didn’t know that he used a nickname for Luhan for the first time but the elder did.

 

“L-Lu?” He asked.

 

“Y-yeah… You’ve always called me Seokkie and I don’t know” Minseok shrugged. His eyes were focussed on his mug rather than Luhan. “Lu sounds nice to me. I hope it’s okay?” He asked hopeful.

 

Luhan nodded his head. “Yes, it’s more than okay. If you like it then I like it too” He smiled and the other smiled back.

 

“So you were about to tell something about yourself and where you come from when I interrupted to get us another drink. What about your parents? What are they like?” Luhan asked.

 

Minseok smiled. His whole face lit up when he was asked about his parents. Luhan could tell that this boy had a lot of love in his heart for his parents.

 

“They’re the best. Both of them are very kind and that’s how they’re known the our small community as well. My mum teaches at a local school and afterwards she works with children who have a learning disability. She helps them to get their school work done, or reads with them, but mostly she just encourages them to keep on trying. I met some of those kids and they tend to get really frustrated when things don't go the way they want to. But my mother is always calm and collected, which is exactly what they need.” Minseok said. Luhan saw the elder was glowing when he was talking about his mother. He sounded so proud of her. It was a feeling that he never had felt about either of his parents.

 

“My dad is the manager of a small noodle restaurant. He used to be a cook but he got promoted due to his loyalty to the owner. My dad works every single day of the week and even fills in whenever he needs to. He hasn’t been sick and my parents never go on a holiday because both of them earn just enough to pay the bills and to provide food for both of them. The owner of the restaurant appreciated all my dad did for him so he promoted him. The pay is a little bit better and my parents can now afford a few extras but we never needed much. We’re content with what we have” Minseok added. He took a sip of his coffee then went on talking as passionately about him and his family as before.
 

“When I was old enough to grasp our financial situation I offered to pay for school myself, since it was something that I wanted to do. It was my dream to go to the best university, when I would’ve been perfectly fine by going to a cheap college. In a few years I hope to give something back to them. I’ve always been raised by them with love, kindness and care. I was a very happy child growing up. I was allowed to do what I loved the most. I remember this one time when I went shopping with my mother and we walked passed a bookstore. There was a book about ancient rome on display and I went to the window and asked my mum if I could have it. She told me that she didn’t have the money for it but that she would ask the neighbours if I could work little household jobs for them, so I could earn the money myself. I helped my neighbours out for a week and then I had earned enough money to buy it myself.” Minseok was talking so passionately about his past, about him, about his family and Luhan could feel the pride when he was told that story about how Minseok bought his first book himself. Luhan found himself admiring the boy, and his upbringing. He was almost jealous except Luhan didn’t feel bitter or regretful towards his parents. He would never trade his family in for another. But he did wish that he had the lessons in life that Minseok talked about.

 

“Sometimes I miss them since I am so far away from them now. My mother sends me food every so often. She’s an amazing cook. Perhaps I will let you have a taste of her cooking one day” Minseok smiled at him.

“I would like that very much.” Luhan smiled back. “Your parents sounds like incredibly wonderful people. I can see why you would talk so highly of them. You sound so proud of where you come from. Your entire face lit up when you were talking just now. It was very cute” Now it was his turn to blush by complementing the older boy.

 

Minseok just laughed. “It’s true I am very cute… and yes I am very proud of my parents for all that they’ve done in their life. I hope to be just as good as them” he said.

 

Luhan giggled at the show of confidence from Minseok.

 

“I don’t know if it matters much, but I think you’re just as good as them.” He said.

 

“Thanks Lu. So now, we came here with a reason but we got totally distracted I’d say. What is it that you needed my help on?” Minseok asked curiously.

 

‘I suppose we did get a little bit side tracked’ Luhan thought when seeing it was already 2 in the afternoon and they had been talking non stop.

 

“Well first things first and that’s finding a job” Luhan started “I hardly have any experience let alone a resume so if you would help me by showing me how to make one, and figure out what to put on there it’ll be an immense help” he finished.

 

“Yeah sure that’s no problem, and I might actually know a job for you.” Minseok said. Luhan offered him a look of total shock, which then changed into one of happiness.

 

“Why didn’t you say so? Oh my god what is it?” Luhan asked excitedly, practically jumping up and down in his seat. The twinkles were back in his eyes and Minseok could never tire of seeing them, or being the person to bring them out.

 

“Well… let’s see how much I like you after we spend the rest of this day together. If you want to that is?” Minseok asked hopefully.

 

“What do you mean?” Luhan inquired.

“I am asking if you’d want to hang out with me for the remainder of the day” Minseok said more steadily this time. The blush was back on his face and he seemed very eager to spend more time with Luhan. He looked at him so intently.


“Like a date?” Luhan asked. Wondering if that was what Minseok had meant. Secretly hoping that he did.

*****

A/N: Hello everyone~ I am sorry this one took a little bit longer but yesterday I was stuck at my volunteerwork for most of the day. Anyway another one in Luhan's POV. This is pretty much just them getting to know each other which I felt is important to where I want this story to go. And I am terribly sorry to leave you with such a terrible cliffhanger hehee. I am just cruel like that <3 

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Xiuhan's relationship and the pace it is going at? Are they being stupid? Are they going too fast? Too slow perhaps haha. Let me know, i'd love to see what you think of it. 

Thank you all so much for subscribing, commenting and reading. I am doing this for all of your guys and it means a lot of me that the story seems to be received so wonderfully. I'll work hard on the next one. 

Have a nice day my angels <3