2013

How You Really Are

2013

Usually my parents would intentionally leave me and Minseok alone in the living room to study, or even they used my tutor time as an excuse for them to go out for a date. I didn’t blame them, because that was just what I need... well, Minseok needed it too, because if my parents wouldn’t let us alone when he tutored me, he could not have teached me with his best effort... yeah you could say effort.

“What the ! You didn’t know the formula for this?” Minseok asked with his forehead wrinkled then he exhaled in frustration, “God, are you sure you’re trying to go to my school? Because I swear to God, there is nobody who could be as stupid as you are right now. I mean, by now you don’t even know how to ing count the volume of a ing cube?!” Minseok continued swearing.

Yeah, it was Minseok teaching. He couldn’t hold back his emotion, his hate towards anything or anyone stupid is endless. True, Minseok has always been a model student since middle school, he even got into the number one top school in Seoul. No, he is not a snob, he is a good guy, he helps people and people looks up to him.

But then again, never try to be or look or heard or even smell like an idiot in front of him, and he will eat you alive. Well, at least if you know him, he doesn’t talk too much to people he doesn’t know.

I was in my last year of middle school and my parents set me up for a lesson and with him as my tutor teacher. He is older than me by a year, so by that time he was already a high school student, very smart one at that.

Like I said, Minseok is a good guy, but when it comes to teaching me he could not contain his temper and just threw it away at me. Trust me, no matter how good you know someone, getting yelled and scolded at and be called stupid will really hurt your feeling and will make you cry instantly.

“Crying won’t make you understand this chapter, stupid.” Minseok sighed and pulled out a couple of tissues from the container and gave those to me, I was still shaking and wiped my tears. “Now, I need to go to the bathroom. Don’t you dare leave before I come back and finish that question.” Minseok pointed to the text book, “okay okay! Can you stop already?!” I yelled with shaking voice. I could hear Minseok’s sigh, but he didn’t say anything and left.

It took him long enough in the bathroom, and I was thankful because it gave me some more time to calm down. Sometimes when I got too tired of hearing him calling me stupid, I’d snap back at him and he will understand. The only thing that kept me from yelling back at that stupid moron was my feeling for him.

Yeah as cliche as it is, I liked him very much. The thought of him teaching me to get into the same high school he got into, made me excited. So I bear myself receiving his harsh lesson, because Minseok is a good guy and I knew that. He just hates stupid people, I had to force myself to study better and harder even though I would still not be as smart as he was. But trying won’t hurt right?

 

Minseok came in to the living room, I was still sniffling. He sighed again and sat beside me, instead of across the table. He patted my back softly a few times, “there, there, stop crying.” I stopped sniffling, and when he was aware that I wasn’t as shaky he got up and fixed his books to his backpack.

“We’ll finish here for now, I’m gonna head home. You better have a rest, we’ve had enough today.” Minseok smiled and took his bag to the front door and wore his coat, I followed him to send him home.

Before Minseok really went home, he told me that I better be memorizing all the formula for geometry or he’d whack my head off, I could just nod, too tired from all the crying to even start arguing. I was about to shut the door and lock it but suddenly Minseok called my name, “what is it?” I asked him again, one hundred percent sure he was trying to get me memorizing all the formula for physics too because tomorrow we’ll do that instead of math.

“Your exam is in two months, right?” Minseok asked, I almost rolled my eyes ‘oh my God this freaking bun-bread, can’t he chill out already?!’ but I restrained and nodded my head, all of this emotion must had come from the lack of sleep I had been having for a week since the first exam try-out at school, I felt really sleepy being all grumpy inside my head.

“You do your best, okay?” Minseok smiled, his kind of smile. I don’t know how but his smile has a strange tinge to it, it’s not beautiful, but something about it just spread warmth to all over my body. I smiled too, finally. “Okay. I’m going to try my best.”

“If you’ve done your best, I’m promising you a date.” Minseok said, was it just me or he blushed? I saw his cheeks got red. Oh boy, what was I thinking, that should be because it had become chiller outside. “I’m sorry, what?” and also I was afraid that I heard wrong, but Minseok repeated his offer and you could only smile and reply “really?” but as annoying as he was, he shrugged and made a face “only if you try your best.” He said. I pouted and yelled, “I will! I will try my best!” and then I closed the door. Too fast I have to admit, I was too nervous because I knew my face was already red by then.

All I could think about was how to get that date with Minseok.