Chapter 2

A New Start

 

I wanted to stay in this peaceful, silent state forever, away from everything.
 

The constant loud beeping was what had woken me, opening my eyes, I saw white ceiling, white walls. Is this heaven? My mind wondered stupidly, my eyes searched the room, landing on the source of the beeping and then it registered where I was. I was in a hospital, and my father had been the one to put me here. I remembered the events that put me here, fresh tears formed and a sobbed escaped my throat as I came to the conclusion I was on my own now. I couldn’t and wouldn’t go back, not after what was done to me.
 

 My father and siblings, who had treated me poorly are now dead to me and I was dead to them.
I was here for a week before I got any visitors, it surprised me at how many people had heard about my ordeal. A day after the incident, an investigator had come by and told me that my father had been arrested for assault and my siblings, since they were still minors, were put into a foster home until they reached the age of 18. I should have felt guilty or something but I didn’t feel anything, they didn’t deserve it. 

 

When Seo Joon and Woo Bin came to visit me the first time, I was shocked that as soon as they saw me, they cried like a bunch of babies. It was funny and endearing at the same time, they kept hugging me saying they would buy a house so that we can all live together and that they would get jobs and support me. It was funny because they had come with their parents, who had promptly dragged them away, scolding them for making promises they can’t keep. 
 

The next visitor was Chanyeol, which really surprised me. I didn’t think we were close enough for him to pay me a visit. It was a short visit but he was really nice and he seemed to be very concerned about me considering how little he knew me. Like clockwork, he came back every single day, looking more and more cheerful as if visiting me was the best thing in the world. 
 

“How long until you can leave?” He asks me one afternoon as we are playing scrabble, the nurses that come and go stare in awe at Chanyeol and secretly give me thumbs up as they leave the room, I know he is good looking but what the heck? 
“Just a few more days, the doctor wants to make sure my head injury doesn’t progress into something severe.” I explained to him, keeping my gaze on the scrabble board, wondering how the hell Chanyeol is so good at this game. 
“Have you figured out where you’re to go yet?” 
“Nope.” That was the truth, I haven’t got a plan. I feel like a kite without string and that worried me, what was I going to do for shelter? I still have my job but no savings, every penny went to my father and siblings. I get so angry just thinking about them and also confused as to why they did this to me. 
“You can stay with us.”
My eyes went wide at his suggestion, how could he say something like that to someone he barely knows? 
“You don’t know me, Chanyeol. What if you and everyone else gets fed up with me?” I told him, my eyes starting to water. He suddenly takes my hand in his, his lips stretch into a small smile.
“I know enough about you to know that you are a kind person, loyal to a fault and I already talked to the guys, they don’t mind. They are actually excited to be living with a girl for once.” 
Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to stay with them for a while, until I get back on my feet. The way Chanyeol talks about his friends, I have yet to meet them in person but they seem like a great group of guys to be around. I guess I deserve to rest after what I’ve been through, my mind decided, I squeeze his hand and nod my approval. His smile turns into the biggest grin and we go back to our game of scrabble. 
~
3 days later, its Friday morning and the doctor finally gave me the all clear to leave the hospital, not before giving me strict instructions to come back if my head starts hurting for any reason. A nurse wheeled me to the exit, under my protest, I could walk but the nurse was insistent that its policy so I shut my mouth. Chanyeol is waiting on the other side of the automatic glass doors, he is talking to someone, smiling and laughing. I’m pretty sure it’s one of the friends he’s been telling me so much about. He sees me come out and immediately comes over, all smiles as he extends his hand for me to take hold off as I get up from the wheelchair. I thank the nurse as she heads back inside and turn to Chanyeol.

 

“Have you been waiting long?” I asked as we head in the direction of a van parked on the curb. 
“Only five minutes so don’t stress. Oh, this is Yixing.” He says introducing his friend who smiles, showing the cutest dimples I’ve ever seen, he looks so handsome. 
“Hello Yun, Chanyeol has told us a lot about you.”  I give Chanyeol a wary side glance, Yixing just laughs at my action. “Don’t worry, it was all good.” He assures me as he helps me into the van and sitting beside me while Chanyeol drives. 

 

Talking with Yixing the whole time made me feel very calm, he is so kind and has a very gentle personality. He noticed I was tired and offered his shoulder as a pillow, Chanyeol watched the whole thing from the rear view mirror and laughed, accusing Yixing of being a playboy. Yixing blushed, looking in every other direction while I just chuckled. 
 

I accepted his offered shoulder with a smile, placing my head on it and closing my eyes with a relaxed sigh. I didn't think I would fall asleep that fast until I awoke to a gentle shaking of my shoulders, I blinked and looked up to see Chanyeol with a grin that reached his ears. I was about to ask what was up when I noticed my vision was on a slant, I happened to look down and came face to face with a clothed knee. Wait, wasn't I on Yixing's shoulder? Oh my god, I quickly shot up as I realised why Chanyeol had that stupid grin on his face, poor Yixing is completely red-faced. I must have slid down and ended up on his lap somehow, now Yixing is avoiding eye contact with me and Chanyeol is looking very pleased with himself.
 

I was about to scold him when Chanyeol gets out of the car and opening the door, Yixing is out of the vehicle in a  flash and heading up the driveway towards the house. Chanyeol sees the confusion on my face and extends his hand out for me to take.
"We have arrived at Casa De Yeollie." He annouces proudly as I take his hand, trying not to laugh at the absurd name he calls his house. Before I could protest, Chanyeol takes my bag of luggage in his free hand and we start walking up the driveway. 

 

I'm starting to get nervous about meeting the rest of his freinds. What if they don't like me? What if they change their minds about letting me live here? The jittery feeling in my stomach is intensifying by the minute, the closer we get to the door, the more I have the urge to turn tail and run away as fast as my legs can carry me but that feeling goes away when Chanyeol suddenly squeezes my hand. He must have sensed my unease and stopped, turning fully to me.
 

" Stop stressing Yun, they are going to love you." He says in a calm tone. " Take a deep breathe and then we'll go inside." 
 

I do what he says and take a very deep breathe before exhaling really slow, strangely enough it worked. Chanyeol starts to walk again after noticing I'm calmer and opens the door where 10 eager males are very eager to meet me but only Yixing is standing there with a note in his hands. 
"Where is everybody?" Chanyeol asks shutting the door behind us and putting my bag down beside the door. 
"They've gone to get lunch." Yixing tell us, showing Chanyeol the note. He scrunches his nose as if he's not happy they are not here to greet me. 
"I told them not to go anywhere until we got back." He grumbles, Yixing rolls his eyes and sighs, taking the note back and scrunching it into a ball.
"I'll bet you anything Kyungsoo made a fuss about what to make for lunch since Yun was coming so naturally they all went to the market."
"Oh, they didn't have to do that for me. Even ramen would have been fine." I say feeling guilty that they are going through the trouble and we haven't even met each other yet. The two boys look at me as if I've grown another head and chuckle, Chanyeol pulls me into a hug, he pulls Yixing in as well, effectively squashing us against his chest and each other.
"Its no trouble at all, Yun! Isn't she adorable, Xing?" Chanyeol coos affectionately.
"Chanyeol, let go of us or you'll make us die from lack of oxygen." Yixing breathes out, trying to break free. He manages to get an arm free and flicks Chanyeol on the forehead, making him release us. 
"Yah! That was uncalled for Xing!" He pouts, rubbing his red forehead. I feel bad for Chanyeol, Yixing must have had some force behind that flick.
"Where's your kitchen?" I asked them both. They point to the double doors on the other side of the room, they looked very confused, their expressions were comical. I go to the kitchen, get what I want and head back to them. Chanyeol opens his mouth to speak when I put the ice pack I got from the freezer on his forehead. 
"Better?" I ask with a smile. Chanyeol turns bright red and mumbles a yes, Yixing is laughing in the background, saying something about payback. 
"Right, let me show you your room." Chanyeol coughs moving away from me, grabbing my bag and walking up the stairs on our left. Yixing comes to my side and gives me a pat on the back.
"I thank you for that, it was about time the gaint got flustered. You are my new best freind, Yun." He says with a grin as we walk upstairs. 
~
After showing me my room, Chanyeol and Yixing left me alone to settle in. The room is quite spacious, painted in neutral colours, the bed was larger than it needed to be and there was a walk in closet, a desk in the corner by the window and my very own tiolet and shower. I decided to have a shower before heading back downstairs, the others are expected back soon so I wanted to greet them refreshed and not smelling like a hospital. I changed into leggings and an oversized t-shirt since i didn't have anything else until I got a job and bought new clothes but for now these will have to do. I leave my hair out to let it dry naturally, the square bandage on my hairline is annoying but I can't take it for another couple of days.

 

I leave my room, heading to the stairs. As I went down, I heard multiple voices coming from the bottom of the steps. On the first step was Chanyeol and Yixing, arms spread out wide forming a barrier of sorts and in front of them, I'm assuming, are the rest of their friends. They were arguing about something and didn't notice me so I sat on the top step and pateintly waited, amused by the conversation that was taking place.
 

"Yah, we just want to take a quick peek!"
"Yeah! You've had her all to yourself, Yeol, now it's our turn."
"What part of she's resting didn't you understand?" 

 

I could tell Chanyeol was getting annoyed with his friends' behaviour so made myself known to them before things got physical, I got up from the top step and made my way down until they saw me directly behind Chanyeol and Yixing. The silence that followed was my cue to introduce myself. 
 

" Hello, Chanyeol and Yixing friends! I'm Yun, its nice to finally meet you." I smiled at them, bowing and putting an arm over Chanyeol and Yixings shoulders. 
 

They got over the intial shock and introduced themselves one by one to me, the three youngest ones wanted to be different from their hyungs and embraced me, kissing me on the cheek, much to thier hyungs protests. These guys mights be close friends but they treated each other like a family, it was evident enough watching them through lunch, the way they played and kidded around with each other. 
 

My siblings and I never did any of that, even when Mom was still alive, we never had that bond that these guys displayed so openly. I instantly felt a little jealous of them and what they had with each other, what did I do in my past life that my current life has turned out this way? Was I destined to never have a family that loved me? Was it God's plan for me to remain alone for the rest of my life? 

"Yun?" 
 

I looked up to the person that called me, it was Suho.
 

"A few of us have work tonight but the rest of us are free so do you want to watch a movie with us?" He asks me with a warm smile. 
"Of course." I responded with my own smile. 

 

The guys all cheered while Chanyeol nudged my side playfully, Yixing saw him do it and scolded him for it. I was amused by the fact that Chanyeol looked like a wounded puppy, it was oddly adorable for a man his height. 
 

After lunch was over, I offered to do the dishes  as a way of saying thank you but the guys weren't having any of it and I was escorted from the kitchen by Kyungsoo, Jongin, Sehun and Tao and taken to the backyard. They layed down a picnic blanket on the grass so we could sit down amongst the flower garden, it had all my favourite flowers, Roses, Tulips, Orchids, Daisies and so much more. 
 

I somehow ended up with Tao and Jongin's heads on my lap, Kyungsoo had Sehun on his lap, he was singing softly to us. It was so serene and peaceful, like my own personal heaven. I looked down to find Tao and Jongin staring at me with thoughtful expressions on their faces.
" Do I have something on my face?" I asked touching my cheeks.
"No but can we ask a question?" They both simultaniously asked.
"Ask away?" 
"What was wrong with your family? Why did your father hurt you like that?" Jongin asks me, I was going to answer when I realised something.
"Wait, how did you know what my father did?" 
"We saw it and saved you, didn't Chanyeol tell you?" Kyungsoo reveals while playing with Sehun's hair. 

 

It was Chanyeol and the guys who saved me? I suddenly felt embarrassed that they had seen a glimpse of my ed up life and family. I avoided eye contact with the four of them, they noticed the change in me straight away. Jongin and Tao had gotten up from my lap and taken my hands in theirs. 
"Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed Yun, no ones family is perfect." Jongin says
"Mine is perfect." Sehun blurts out, Kyungsoo hits him on the head.
"Don't be an insensitive little prick, Hun." 
"Sehun's rudeness aside, just know that we will never treat you like that so don't withdraw yourself from us. Be yourself around us." 

 

I found myself blushing and nodding at his words, I wanted to cry with joy because for the first time since my mother died, I felt genuinely happy. It made my heart soar that there were these amazing boys in my life now that wanted me to be nothing but happy and that was okay with me. 
 

"Thank you guys." I said and gave the four of them a kiss on the cheek, they all blushed and practically scurried away when Minseok called us inside to watch the movie.