a curious case of affection

our twenties

a curious case of affection
joshua/minkyung, pg, ~500w
an interpretation of kim minkyung by hong jisoo.

 

 

Minkyung’s got legs that go on for miles and a smile that’s so mysterious that it could mean any reactionary instinct from pleased to biting back anger. Joshua literally knows squat about her apart from what he sees in his subtle glances across the lecture hall during finance – she’s always sleeping, he’s always trying not to make it obvious that he’s looking. When the girl sitting next to her wakes her up halfway through class, there’s a slight smile on her lips as she swats her friend’s probing finger away. It’s all become some kind of routine that Joshua’s ingrained into his Mondays and Wednesdays, and on the days Minkyung doesn’t show up to lecture, he finds himself glancing at the space where she usually sits, like it’s a habit.

 

Honestly, he’s not surprised when Jeonghan catches on four weeks in. There was this point, around forty-five minutes into lecture, when Jeonghan’s concentration always broke and he became hyper aware of everything happening within immediate vicinity to him. This just happened to include the way Joshua turned his head slightly towards the left to look at Minkyung. “If you want to talk to her,” Jeonghan tells him one day as they’re walking back to their dorm. “Just ask her for her notes or something.”

 

Joshua only hums noncommittedly to the idea. He’s pretty sure Minkyung doesn’t actually take notes, but he doesn’t tell Jeonghan that.

 

So he doesn’t expect it at all when Minkyung walks up to the info kiosk that he works graveyard shifts at in the university library, one of her knees that’s connected to one of her legs that’s miles long knocking against the desk, and asks him for his notes instead. Joshua didn’t even know she knew his name, let alone that they were in the same class.

 

“I need them back by Wednesday,” is all he says when he hands them over. Everything about this whole thing feels so weird. Maybe it starts with how Minkyung’s actually looking at him, and something about being the target of her gaze makes Joshua nervous, more nervous than usual, when he found other people staring in his direction.

 

And as if she knows, her lips curl up into one of those tell-tale, mysterious smiles. “I’ll give them to you before lecture starts,” she promises. This time though, Joshua gets the feeling that he knows exactly what this smile means.

 

He swallows. “See you Wednesday, then.”

 

Minkyung laughs and it sounds nothing like he thought it would. That thought sticks with him more than the sound of her laughter, and the memory just makes Joshua want to hear her laugh all over again. “Wednesday,” she echoes, waving with the hand that’s not clutching his notebook.

 

 

 

 

 

On Wednesday, she sits down next to him five minutes before class starts, on his left. It’s the best view Joshua’s gotten all semester, and judging by the small smile on her lips, he bets she knows it.