Cutting Carrots

One Boring Summer Break

It has been... almost three months...

PHEW, it has been three rough months for me though! I finally finished my master thesis - yay me!!!! - and then Min Yoongi just thought he could kill me like that? ?? ??? Who do you think you are, Min Yoongi?? ???? whispers atothegtotheutothestd atothegtotheutothestd atothegtotheutothestd atothe-

Anyway, this isn't beta-read, I am sorry! My friend who usually beta-reads my stuff is busy with work today, but I seriously don't want to keep you waiting any longer! Also, my prof gave me the opportunity to edit some points in my thesis so I can get a better grade, which is awesome, but that means I have to spend another week on the monster starting tomorrow. So I edited this myself, I hope it's still alright! It's almost 4k words tho, and A LOT HAPPENS :) I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for being patient.

 

"Park Jimin, I want you to know that this is a one time exception!"

Jimin is standing in front of his father. He has changed his clothes (the five minutes he took must have been the worst five minutes in Yoongi's life, being stuck alone with Jimin's father who tried to up to him - or rather, Afshan Patil) and is ready to go now. His father, of course, wants to talk to him before they leave "for some ice cream".

"Yes, father."

"If your girlf- I mean, if your friend, haha, wasn't so beautiful and nice" - Jimin's father winks at Yoongi and the boy who's currently looking like a girl tries to subdue his shivering and smiles back amicably - "I wouldn't let you go in the first place!"

"I know, father, thank you." Jimin's voice sounds monotonous, but his father's eyes are completely on Yoongi, or rather on the Minister's daughter and he doesn't notice his son's tone. Yoongi can only imagine how the small man already sees his son being the boyfriend of someone so important. He tries not to grin - what would the man do if he knew a Muggle-born was standing in front of him?

"You know, Miss Patil, our Jimin here sometimes is a wild one. He likes to act up sometimes, but what girl doesn't like a rebel, heh?" It's a wonder the man's oily skin doesn't shine even more with all that slimy behaviour. Yoongi's hands start to shake - he knows that "acting up" is actually being Muggle friendly in this vile man's book.

"Mr Park, what exactly did-", he starts with a forced, sugary smile, but Jimin senses the danger and interrupts him.

"Afshan, come on, or else the pistachio ice cream will be gone and that's your favourite, isn't it?", Jimin says hastily, grabbing Yoongi's hand.

Yoongi tells himself the bashful blush creeping up his face is all part of the show - a show Jimin's father obviously approves of.

"Right right, lovebirds, off you go! And I want you home at 10pm sharp, mister, is that clear?"

_______________

Jimin still hasn't let go of Yoongi's hand although they're already half of the way back to Yoongi's flat. Not that it bothers Yoongi. Or that it makes Yoongi worry about having sweaty palms. Not at all.

"Yoongi, you're changing back, let's hide for a minute", Jimin whispers and pulls Yoongi into a small side alley with him. They're standing next to a huge garbage container that smells and apparently hasn't been emptied out for ages. The walls are full of graffiti. They've already reached the part of town Yoongi lives in... Yoongi hasn't thought about this yet. Park Jimin would see his family's shabby flat, be in his shabby, way too small room. He'd realize how poor and common and completely boring Yoongi is, and...

Jimin bites his lower lip. "You've changed back. Finally." Yoongi only nods - he hasn't said anything for a while now. But suddenly, there are two small, warm hands on his cheeks, cradling his face.

"Thank you so much for getting me out of there, even if it's just for today", Jimin says quietly and looks into eyes that finally look like Yoongi's again - small, but sharp and clear. The look in them was new for Jimin though, all surprised and insecure.

And warm. So very warm.

"I read your letter, Jimin, and I'm-" He opens his mouth, but he doesn't know what to say. The hands on his face fall down to his own hands and take them, yet Yoongi only opens and closes his mouth like a fish. There are so many things he wants to say, but Park Jimin is one step ahead.

"I'm so sorry, Yoongi. So very sorry, oh god, I just assumed, and you-"

Yoongi reverses the grip, takes the smaller hands into his bigger ones. He forgets about the smell of the dumpster, or the sad look of the buildings around them. All he can see is Park Jimin, radiating like the sun, all orange hair and tears in his eyes.

"No, Jimin, it's my fault. I thought I had to be an like them so they'd accept me, I had no idea about anything. And I thought your dad... and that you, you were... but that's bull, how could you be like that, I mean look at you? I'm so so sorry, Park Jimin. Will you forgive me?"

"Only if you forgive me, Yoongi, pl-" Jimin's voice breaks into a quiet sob and he throws his arms around Yoongi. He buries his face in the crook between Yoongi's neck and shoulder. Yoongi is thankful for that, not quite ready to show his own silent tears to Jimin. He cannot quite believe he's standing there, with Park Jimin in his arms, finally on the same page (or well, at least in the same book, since Jimin still doesn't know of his big fat embarrassing crush). He breathes in the smell of Jimin - it overpowers the vile stench around them and for one moment, Yoongi thinks he could stand there with Jimin in his arms forever.

"Of course I forgive you, Jimin. Let's start anew, shall we?" Yoongi lovingly pets Jimin's hair and makes soft humming sounds to comfort him, Jimin, who is braver than Yoongi ever could be in showing his emotions.

"I'm sorry, Yoongi, that was ... I'm quite dramatic, aren't I?" Jimin says, slowly stepping back from Yoongi and smiling a shy smile. He rubs his eyes. "I've just always thought that we could be best friends if you weren't such an - which you obviously aren't. So much wasted time."

Yoongi smiles back, a bit pained. "Yeah. So much wasted time, but we can catch up now, can't we?"

Friends. Ouch.

_______________

Jimin is sitting at the dinner table in the small kitchen. Yoongi's father got the afternoon shift this week, so he won't be home during the day - Yoongi's mother always cooks for at least three people though, so she's glad Yoongi has brought a new friend.

"Why didn't you also bring Jungkookie back? He's such a sweetie. Just like you, Jiminnie. Where do you always find those nice, sweet looking boys, Min Yoongi?" Yoongi's mother has been cooing about Jimin since they got home - Yoongi hasn't even had the chance to slip Jimin past her into his room. Instead, he keeps blushing with embarrassment.

Jimin obviously doesn't mind. He accepts each and every compliment with a very pleased, sweet smile and busies himself with staring at everything in the small kitchen.

"What are these noises?", he asks. Yoongi answers as always, while cutting carrots. ("No, Jiminnie, don't worry, you are our guest, of course you don't have to help!", Yoongi's mother, in full mother-hen-mode, said earlier - Jimin, who actually isn't fond of helping, since he never really has to do so at home, didn't push it any further.)

"The dishwasher. The silver box over there. You put in your dirty dishes and it washes them. It makes the water warm using electricity and you have to add some soap."

Yoongi's mother looks over from in front of the stove, a bit confused, until she realizes that Jimin must be a wizard who doesn't know about Muggles. "You're really interested in our world, aren't you?", she remarks.

Jimin beams up to her. "I am! I've been visiting Yoongi at work for the past few days. He explained everything to me and he was so kind and patient! I love what non-magical people can do without magic - it requires hard work instead of talent, that is so cool!" His enthusiasm makes Yoongi look at him with a warm smile - a smile his mother doesn't miss.

"Yoongi, I think I can finish dinner on my own. Why don't you take Jiminnie to your room? And don't forget to take two glasses and some lemonade with you! Dinner will be ready in an hour."

Yoongi immediately puts down his knife. He wants to thank his mum, but he sees her all-knowing smile and he has to roll his eyes.

"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs Min!", Jimin says instead, pleasant as ever. Yoongi's mother just smiles back and nods towards Yoongi understandingly.

"Muuum...", Yoongi complains. Now it's Jimin who looks a bit confused.

_______________

He is in Yoongi's room. In Min Yoongi's room.

"Will you please sit down, Jiminnie?"

Min Yoongi calls him Jiminnie.

"No. What is this?"

Yoongi smiles at Jimin's almost childish stubborness and curiosity.

"A really old CD player. Music on phones is a pretty recent invention. We used to put our music on CDs - like this one", Yoongi points to the disc lying on top of the player, "and you needed a CD player to listen to them. Well, I put all of the music onto my phone and my laptop now, so I could throw it away if I wanted to."

Jimin stands in front of the CD player and looks down to Yoongi, who is sitting on his bed, cleaning up his kettle. "Why don't you, then?"

Yoongi grins while still scrubbing away some of the pink fluid. He has saved a small bottle of it for later when he would accompany Jimin home. "My dad had to work long hours so he would be able to buy it for me. I treasure it." Yoongi doesn't look up, so he misses the expression on Jimin's face.

It is obvious that Yoongi's family isn't rich at all. At first, Yoongi has been really reluctant to invite him into his room - he looked almost ashamed.

Jimin doesn't understand why; this must be the most interesting room he's ever been in. And the way Yoongi is so modest about it, so very different than the person he pretends to be at school... Jimin feels his cheeks heating up.

Min Yoongi is really not an after all.

"What kind of game are the guys playing on the poster?" Jimin asks, gesturing towards the poster above the bed.

"Basketball. I used to play it when I had the time. It's fun, but Quidditch is almost better."

"Oh, can you show me someday? How to play?"

Finally, Yoongi looks up and meets Jimin's eyes, sees Jimin's red face.

"Of course."

Their gazes linger on each other. The moment continues, continues, continues and Yoongi slowly opens his mouth -

Both of them flinch when Yoongi's open laptop signals a skype call.

Yoongi immediately turns away and slams his hand on the enter button.

"Who's this?!"

"You promised to call as soon as you get home, Yoongi!!", Jungkook whines. "Are you alright? Is Park Jimin with you??"

"CHIM ARE YOU THERE ARE YOU ALIVE TALK TO ME MAN!"

Jimin immediately sits down next to Yoongi and stares at the screen. "Tae- Taehyung?!"

The screen shows both Jungkook and Taehyung in two different windows. Taehyung's is currently filled up with two huge eyes and an even huger boxy smile.

"Chim Chim! Finally! Jungkook here thought Yoongi's super cool masterplan didn't work, but I was all like, man, you're his best friend, don't you see how super cool this dude is, just brewing a Polyjuice Potion and saving Jimin's from his stupid dad! I hope you really face afterwards, Jimin, because honestly, you won't get someone like him-"

"Oooookay, hi, nice to see you, Taehyung, can you please stop right there?!" Jimin's face is beet red and so is Yoongi's, he realizes looking to his left. "How are you even in Yoongi's contacts?!"

Jungkook proceeds to tell Jimin how they all were talking before, with Tae's occasional "you should've been there, but well, then we wouldn't have had a reason to be so cool and like, plan the heist of the century" or "did Yoongi just stroll into your mansion, ice cold and not giving a single , damn".

Jimin thinks Jungkook is both clever and adorable, how he talks about Yoongi's plan with a hint of admiration and how he helped his best friend out. "Thank you so much for helping Yoongi, Jungkook!", Jimin beams.

"Well... it's the least I could do after playing so many pranks on you in the past..." Jungkook scratches his head shyly.

Oh, yes, sometimes those pranks were seriously annoying, Jimin thinks, but he's so happy he just throws his head back and laughs, leaning into Yoongi's shoulder. "You really are a brat, aren't you."

Suddenly, there's an arm around Jimin's shoulders. He only now realizes that Yoongi and he are sitting super close next to each other - the laptop is on Yoongi's lap and Jimin's left thigh is touching Yoongi's right one.

Both Jungkook and Tae grin into their cameras, but decide to say nothing.

"Wait, before telling us how you did it, let's bring the others here as well!", Tae calls out with his usual enthusiasm and adds Seokjin, Namjoon and Hoseok to the group chat.

"Oh my, I'm so glad you two are alive and well!", Seokjin exclaims as soon as he sees Jimin and Yoongi next to each other. "So much could've gone wrong!"

"So much still can go wrong...", Namjoon mumbles, but smiles proudly.

Hobi laughs. "But I'm on the same page as Taehyung, Yoongi you nerd, when did you become actually almost cool?!"

Jimin feels the arm around his shoulder tighten when Yoongi closes his eyes and laughs with Hoseok. Has Jimin ever seen Yoongi laugh that freely before? He seems to be completely relaxed and happy to talk to everyone else. Jimin misses everyone's smirks as he has only eyes for the person next to him, who starts talking keenly.

"Shut up, Hobi! - Seokjin, I know it's dangerous, but how should we have actually died? Of course we are alive! - And hey, Namjoon, isn't being the pessimistic one my job in this group?"

In this group. Finally, Jimin looks at the screen and seens five faces smiling back to him. He twines his arms around Yoongi's waist, making the slightly older boy blush fiercely.

"I'm so glad you got me out and that we're all friends now!" A warm feeling blooms in his chest and he sees it mirrored in the smiles of the others. Jimin has never had a warm, loving family, but he feels like the seven of them are about to maybe become one.

Jimin slightly shuffles down and puts his head onto Yoongi's chest, hears Yoongi's heart beating impossibly fast. It is Namjoon who clears his throat, bringing the moment in which all seven of them bask in the feeling of familiarity in silence together to an end. "So, what are you going to do now? I mean, won't your dad brag about his son going out with Minister Patil's daughter? I feel like this scam is going to be uncovered sooner than later..."

Above Jimin's head, Yoongi swallows heavily.

"Kookie, can't you ask Afshan to cover for us or something?"

Jungkook makes a weak welping noise. "Oh yes, I will go to her, tell her I went out with her only to get her hair for you? She will be over the moon."

"Well then go out with her for real for a month or so?"

"No!"

Everyone is stunned silent after hearing Taehyung shout out, except Jimin, who snickers knowingly.

"I mean", Taehyung quickly recovers, "after the month she will know she's been used, too, won't she? That would make her even angrier... right?"

Yoongi sighs. His heart rate has gone down a bit and he's even resting his chin on Jimin's head now, arm around his shoulders still there just like Jimin's arms remain around his waist. Jimin fights the thought that they are absolutely cuddling on Yoongi's bed right now, or that Yoongi smells so nice, in order to follow the conversation. It really is a problem they have to solve quickly.

"What if we tell Jimin's dad that somebody tried to play a prank on Jimin?", Hobi asks.

"That's a good idea!" Seokjin smiles. "While I'm against lying to our parents, Jimin's father didn't really deserve better. Sorry Jimin-"

"No, you're absolutely right."

"Thanks. You could tell your dad it must have been some kid who's jealous of your family and wanted to have blackmail material? Because, you know, your family is so influential and rich and your dad is so important..."

Jimin smiles humourlessly. " up to my dad's ego? That should work quite well."

"But no one must ever find out who has played this 'prank' on you, or else Yoongi and Jungkook might get in trouble. They will be the prime suspects anyway, everyone knows about your feud - funny, since you're straight up cuddling in front of our eyes right now", Hoseok cackles and the other ones join in, leaving Yoongi and Jimin both blushing again (but still not letting each other go).

"Yeah yeah, haha, very funny", Yoongi deadpans (as much as one can deadpan with a face red like a fire truck). "But that actually might work."

_______________

The seven of them keep chatting for almost an hour, fleshing out the new plan and teasing each other a bit, until one after another starts logging out of the group chat. Yoongi used to always move around with his rather large group of Slytherins at school, but he's never seen them as friends. For the first time in years, he feels like he has people more than just Jungkook or maybe Seokjin and Hoseok who he can trust blindly.

It is a wonderful feeling.

Jimin's head is still resting against Yoongi's chest and the sudden silence after Taehyung finally logged off feels stifling. The warmth that radiates off of Jimin is wonderful, Jimin's smell is wonderful, Jimin is-

"This is nice", Jimin mumbles. "I like being here. Can I come over often after all of this is over?" His voice sounds almost shy.

"Of course you can. Come over as much as you want, Jimin. You've seen my mum. She loves you."

Runs in the family, Yoongi thinks dryly.

Jimin just nuzzles Yoongi's chest a little more and it becomes silent again. It would be a good silence, a companionable one, if Yoongi's stupid brain didn't have to overthink as it always does.

Namjoon is right, and so is Seokjin with his worries. A lot of things can still go wrong and who knows when the next time they can see each other again will come? Be that close to each other again? Of course, September is only very few weeks away and after that they could always be together after classes -

But Yoongi wants to be sure their next train ride together would be different.

He definitely wants more than friendship. He has to be brave now.

What if he destroys their newly found friendship though? It had been only a few days...

"Yoongi? You're tensing up. What's the matter?" Suddenly, Jimin retracts his arms around Yoongi's waist and starts sitting up. "Ah yes, this must be uncom-"

Yoongi is quick to pull Jimin down again.

"It's not uncomfortable, stay like this if you want to."

Jimin's arms are immediately around his waist again, his chubby cheek squishing against Yoongi's thin chest. It makes hope burn through Yoongi's veins.

They have messed up way too much by not talking and only assuming in the past. Yes, it might be only a few hours after they have talked things out, but they have already wasted so much time.

Yoongi needs to be brave.

Yoongi needs to ignore the bile rising in his throat out of nervousness.

Yoongi needs to start living the life he wants to live.

He takes a deep breath. "Jimin, I... I know it hasn't been long, but-"

Jimin's big, brown eyes are looking up to him and he looks beautiful, Yoongi thinks. His face is in the middle of transitioning between childlike and handsomely manly. The view of his plush, slightly parted lips takes Yoongi's breath away.

So he takes Jimin's breath away, too, by kissing him.

Jimin freezes when Yoongi's lips touch his. Yoongi immediately starts to overthink again, wants to break the kiss, but suddenly, Jimin's arms pull him infinitely closer so the two of them are flush against each other. Yoongi's lips open up a bit and he lets out a quiet gasp, half pleasure and half infinite relief.

Park Jimin is kissing me back.

Jimin's lips part as well and the kiss becomes deeper. At first, it has only been an awkward press of lips on lips, but now they move against each other. Yoongi takes Jimin's bottom lip in between his and Jimin moans -

"Boys, dinner is ready!"

Yoongi jumps away so quickly his head hits the wall quite hard. "OUCH!"

Jimin giggles. "She only called, she didn't even come in!"

Yoongi rubs his head before he scrambles back to Jimin quickly. He takes both of Jimin's hands into his and stares at the boy's flushed face, at his smiling, very red and almost a bit swollen lips.

"Jimin, do you want to be with me like that? Because this was awesome and I've been having the biggest crush on you forever."

Jimin giggles again, obviously ecstatic. His smile becomes even bigger and Yoongi thinks he must be going blind because Park Jimin shines so very brightly.

He doesn't care one bit.

"Yes, I really want to be with you 'like that'. I want to be your boyfriend."

_______________

After dinner (and another innocent making out session in Yoongi's room), it is time to bring Jimin back home. Yoongi has turned into Afshan Patil with the remains of his Polyjuice Potion again.

"It's weird holding hands with you like this", Jimin laughs as they walk back to his family's mansion. "It feels like I'm cheating on you with Afshan Patil."

"Don't you dare think about it like that, Park Jimin! Or I will let go of your hand right now."

Jimin's grip on Yoongi's now smaller hand gets tighter and he becomes serious. "Please don't. I don't know when I'm gonna see you next time."

"... yeah, right."

They walk in silence for a bit, both thinking about how much they would miss each other. Jimin wants to talk to Yoongi more though. They basically don't know anything about one another yet except for the fact that they want to be together. Which makes Jimin grin shyly.

"It's still weird. I don't even like girls."

"Ah. You always liked boys?"

"Yeah. You?"

Yoongi shrugs. "I don't really care about gender."

"So you've already been with both boys and girls?"

"Not many, but yeah." There's a slight pang of jealously in Jimin's chest, but he has had his fair share of boyfriends as well.

After fifteen minutes of more walking and chatting, they finally reach the mansion. Jimin mumbles the words to make them get in when suddenly -

"Yoongi, , you changed back?!"

Yoongi looks at his hands, which should be dark and small, but are now pale and large.

"What the-"

"Well well well." The two boys look up to the entrance where both Jimin's parents as well as Parvati Patil, the Minister of Magic herself, and her daughter Afshan, are standing. "I installed some protective spells against fraud as soon as I found out that Miss Afshan Patil was actually home with my good friend the Minister all day", Jimin's father snarls. "It's pretty effective against Polyjuice Potion. So, who do we have here?"

Yoongi and Jimin look at each other in panic.

 

Such a cliffhanger :)

There's only one or two chapters left, guys! I seriously love this fic and although I will start working full time in September, I do hope I will finish it soon. I already drafted everything that will happen, which means I "only" have to write it now. And afterwards, I will definitely post some one-shots (especially since I hint on the Taekook so heavily... they need their own little story, too, don't they).

Thank you so so so so much for reading this! I love comments and kudos, so please tell me what you think :) Also, are you interested in what's one of my favourite Yoonmin stories right now?? It's this awesome Pride and Prejudice AU by Vaij and it leaves me screaming everytime she updates! I LOVE PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, and if you do too you HAVE TO check it out (even if you don't).

visit me on my tumblr :)