Strawberry Lollipop

One Boring Summer Break

Beep beep beep.

"Goddamnit, Tae..." Jimin mutters, staring at the phone until it starts ringing again.

“Sorry, Chim, you know I'm bad with these things," Taehyung apologized, his voice sounding all metallic due to the distance. "It's just a piece of glass you can't touch anywhere while talking, but I was breathing on it while you talked, and you know how I love drawing things in my breath on glass..."

Jimin rolls his eyes. "Did you even listen to me?"

"Yes, I did." Taehyung's voice sounds sincere and serious now. "So the great Muggle hating Min Yoongi is actually... a Muggle himself."

"Yeah but please Tae, don't tell anyone else. I think he would hate that."

Tae chuckled. "To think you, Jimin, would consider how Min Yoongi feels..." Jimin makes an annoyed clicking sound with his tongue. "Yeah, yeah, I understand. So, what can I say, Chim? I love you lots and lots, but it seems like you have ed up."

A huge sigh escaped Jimin's mouth. "Yes, I should have listened to him earlier..."

"But you were a child. He was a child. And then he started being really mean to you as well, so..."

Jimin hums noncomittally. Finally, his best friend has some time to listen to his problems. It has been two days since the encounter at the electronics shop, and Jimin cannot stop thinking about it. Thinking about everything that could have been between him and the boy he liked so much back then. He is sure they could have been best friends, Yoongi could have taught him everything about the fascinating Muggle stuff, if not...

"Park Jimin, I can hear you talk! Are you using one of those demented Muggle phones again?!", his father's voice booms from downstairs.

Jimin hangs up immediately.

"No, father! I was just learning some charms by heart, I always have to read them out loud!"

No answer.

Jimin gnashes his teeth. Isn't it his father's fault he isn't friends with Min Yoongi? Of course a boy of mere eleven years, totally freaked about by this whole new world, would react terribly at not feeling welcome, all alone on a train to an uncertain future?

God, he hates his father so much.

[CHIMCHIM, 06:07PM]

            sry tae my father heard me. yknow how he is.

            so what should i do now???

[TAETAE, 06:08PM] 

            idk it seems to me like you two should just really talk to each other? maybe apologize and he will apologize in return?? doesnt have to be too late... also yknow he kinda is really handsome too ;)))))

[CHIMCHIM, 06:08PM]

            omg tae stop this RIGHT NOW

[TAETAE, 06:08PM] 

            come on u used to think about him day n night when u hated him, isnt that why u tried to hook up with all those guys?? now u will think even more about him... and i once totally heard u say he smiles like sugar or smth when you were drunk off ur XDDD

[CHIMCHIM, 06:09PM]

            why do i even bother asking you something like that

[TAETAE, 06:09PM] 

            bc u lurrrrve meeeee

Jimin smiles. Yes, he honestly loves Taehyung, and he mentally makes a note to thank Namjoon again for showing them how to text and to make calls with those phones. It's just nicer to immediately get back a message, or to listen to the other's voice, than to wait for an owl from China or wherever Tae's family is now for weeks.

And Jimin loved making friends, so maybe... Maybe it is time to actually try.

________________

 

The first day after the incident, nothing really happens at work.

Of course, Yoongi doesn't exactly expect Jimin to come back... And he doesn't want him to come back. No, of course not. Park Jimin doesn't have any idea what it is like, and he doesn't want to listen anyway, right? Stupid spoilt brat.

Why has he been at a Muggle store anyway? Doesn't his family hate Muggles? Ugh.

No, Yoongi will not think of the whole incident too much, he will just hope stupid Park Jimin won't babble about his secret.

(Honestly though, wouldn't it be a huge relief not having to fake anymore, Yoongi asks himself. He has Kookie, who is his little cheeky light of his life, and he has Jin and Hobi now, too, whom he recently told everything. Maybe even this Namjoon person, he seems nice enough, and he's also a Muggle born. Listens to the same music as Yoongi, too! Does he really have to go on with this ? ...)

So he keeps on re-stocking the shelves, carefully avoiding the earphone section.

 

The second day after the incident, there is a summer storm raging outside, no trace of the sun all day. Almost no customers make their way through the storm, and Yoongi is bored out of his mind.

He likes the job well enough. He'd love to spend some time with his parents, of course, but he always does that during winter break. Summer break is about supporting them; having a wizard in the family is all well and good, but it doesn't really make them suddenly earn more money. And stuff like potion ingredients and Quidditch equipment are really expensive. He is lucky Gringotts lets him change his Muggle money into galleons, sickles and knuts.

On boring days like this, he can go over to the music section and listen to the latest tracks he missed during his stay at Hogwarts. That is nice as well.

Suddenly he spots a bright patch of orange hair standing right in front of the shelves with his favourite artists. Jimin turns around and opens his mouth, but Yoongi just turns around.

No. He won't do this, no, Jimin doesn't deserve his attention.

(Yoongi tries hard not to think about how wet Jimin is, how annoying it must have been to come in that storm without magic.)

Still. A little bit of sunshine would be nice.

 

The third day after the incident, it begins. At first, everything has been quite normal; Yoongi got to work by bike - it stopped raining eventually -, Yoongi checked in, Yoongi shared a morning coffee with his fellow co-workers, telling them some stories about a normal school and some normal friends (pretending again; he is so sick of it).

But then, around 10 am, there is that patch of bright orange hair between two washing machines again. Some time later, the same bright hair can be seen peeking at some DVDs and Blu-Rays. And when the clock hits 12 pm and Yoongi makes his way to the staff room for lunch break, Park Jimin is standing in front of an extremely expensive coffee machine, trying to figure out how it works painfully obvious.

Yoongi clears his throat and utters in the most bored voice he can muster up: "Can I help you? You have been here for almost two hours now."

His hands are locked behind his back, body language - although play pretend - indicating his boredom and annoyance. Jimin winces violently.

Maybe I shouldn't have yelled that much last time, Yoongi thinks but quickly shoos away the unwelcome thought.

"Erm, hi, Yoongi... Hmm... C-can you maybe explain to me, uhm, how this works? It is for making coffee, it says here?"

Yoongi snickers. "How come you know about earphones, but not about this? Don't they teach you practical stuff in Muggle Studies?"

Jimin blushes. Yoongi tries to ignore how cute Jimin looks with that blush.

God, why have I got to be so whipped for a brat like that?

"Erm, we didn't have lots of smaller electronics yet, only, erm, means of transportation and stuff like that?" Jimin tries to look anywhere but at Yoongi.

Why do you have to be so damn cute?

"But, huh, Namjoon taught me about phones and earphones and texting and music, you know!" Suddenly, Jimin's eyes start to sparkle. "This is so cool! So, you know, I'd like to find out about other things. Yeah. Can you tell me how this works?"

Park Jimin seemed to be genuinely interested. Yoongi has always wondered why the boy takes Muggle Studies classes, but he always presumed it was some 'know those who are under you' thing, since those classes are super condescending (he looked into some of their books, quite disgusting really).

Jimin is still looking at Yoongi with big eyes, and there are a million reasons why he should not, he really, really should not, but...

"See the transparent thing on the top? That's where you put in the coffee beans." He takes off the transparent lid of the opening on top of the machine, and Jimin nods eagerly. He wants to put in his hand, but Yoongi swats it away. "Don't. The knives in it are really sharp, you'll only hurt yourself. They are for grinding the coffee beans. The freshly ground coffee beans meet the freshly cooked water the machine gets from here-", Yoongi shows Jimin the water tank on the back of the machine, "and inside the machine, the coffee is brewed. It comes out here", he gestures to the grid which the coffee mug is to be put on.

Jimin looks at him again, eyes wide. "And you only need to press one button for it?"

"Yes."

The smile hits Yoongi like a brick thrown into his stomach.

Today, the sun is shining again.

 

For the next week, Jimin always visits Yoongi during work and asks him about how the electronics work. Yoongi doesn't know why he complies -

(Yoongi is a huge liar and know exactly why he complies)

- and they do not talk about anything else besides the electronics. Jimin always makes sure to come when only very few customers are around, so Yoongi can spare some time and Yoongi notices.

And it's... It is nice. Electronics aren't necessarily special to Yoongi, but when he explains something to Jimin, the boy beams him as if he just found the cure for Avada Kedavra. Yoongi kind of guesses Jimin is trying to muster up the courage to apologize, just as much as he is, really. The boy before him who is so openly intrigued by Muggle technology, and who is ever so polite to Yoongi's customers whenever one of them asks for something and Jimin apologizes for claiming Yoongi all to himself - this boy cannot hate Muggles. That doesn't seem possible.

Yoongi wonders if Jimin still hates Slytherins, being here and talking to him - a Slytherin, duh - for hours.

He tries to summon all courage, but he's not able to really. Those past days... They are not dates, they are far from that, but these meetings have been amazing. When Jimin smiles at him, Yoongi just feels... Dizzy. In a good way.

Which is why he kind of feels devastated when Jimin doesn't show up at his workplace almost exactly ten days after the first incident.

________________

Jimin is over the moon. It has been ten days after the first incident, and he just woke up with a smile on his face.

Today, I will ask him about different movie genres, and then... and then I will apologize!

He's already told Tae about his meetings with Yoongi, who is constantly making fun of it now of course ("Finally a boyfriend that will stay longer than a week! He will stay foreverrrrrrrr."), and yesterday he also told Namjoon, who has just shrugged during their Skype call.

"I know, he listens to the same music as me, Jin told me," Namjoon casually said.

"And you did not tell me?!"

"It just wasn't my place to."

That is true, though. Jimin is not really mad at Namjoon, since he hasn't known for a long time either.

 

"Jiminnie, breakfast!" his mum calls from downstairs.

Having already changed into some sweatpants, Jimin hastily grabs his phone, puts it into his pocket and makes his way downstairs...

... just to see that his father is at home. Great.

His parents are sitting at a long table, quite far away from each other so they almost have to yell if they want to have a conversation. Jimin hates it, thinking about the small but warm kitchen at Tae's house, everyone crammed together and laughing. Jimin's family doesn't eat in the kitchen - they have a huge dining room, full of portraits of old, grim-looking wizards, and Jimin knows well this room exists only to awe and intimidate guests.

Four times out of seven, his father wouldn't have breakfast with his family. He is way too important to the Ministry to be at home (well, he thinks). Today, it is one of the other three times.

"... and they're actually thinking about getting some of these commupters at work? So they can communicate better with those Muggles?" he tells (yells at) his wife when Jimin takes his place at the middle of the table.

"It's computers, father." Jimin immediately regrets opening his mouth.

His father cuts into his sausage so hard he almost cuts through the plate right into the table. "Well, who cares what it is called? It's nonsense. Those stupid Muggles have to actually get used to our means of communication, not the other way round. Who are we to adapt to their needs? They should know their place."

Jimin thinks of Yoongi, of his knowledge about so many things Jimin can only marvel at. And he cannot bear it, he gets angry.

"I think it is awesome how much Muggles can accomplish without magic! The way they send messages to each other is way faster than sending owls, and it is so clever how they use waves in the air that cannot be see? Father, if only you..."

Jimin's mother gasps when her husband suddenly stands up.

"My own son, siding with this Muggle nonsense, how dare you! Those mudblooded creatures are far beneath us, and you have to finally appreciate the bloodline you come from!"

This time, Jimin will not just nod and apologize, oh no. A smile sweet like sugar appears in front of his eyes, and he gets mad, mad at his father for destroying everything, for being so ignorant... He also jumps up, breathes in heavily-

Suddenly, the phone in his pocket rings. .

"Accio phone!" his father screams, and the phone flies right into his chubby, short fingers. "This foolishness will end, right here, right now!" He flings Jimin's phone on the ground and it breaks.

At once there are tears of anger in Jimin's eyes but he. will. not. cry. He is just standing there, saying nothing, seething with anger.

"You, young man, are grounded for the rest of your summer break!" the red-faced middle aged man shouts. "No visiting the Muggle world anymore, no phones, no nothing. Write your magic friends with your owl if you want, because that is what wizards do!"

There is nothing Jimin can do except holding back his tears.

 

Later that day, Jimin lies on his bed, absolutely bored and heart-broken. He cannot get out, he cannot talk to his friends, he cannot watch videos on the internet.

He cannot visit Yoongi.

Would Yoongi even miss him, he wonders. Yoongi has been patiently explaining everything to him the past few days, and he was really nice. So nice Jimin would have had the courage to actually talk to him today... if he were able to go. It is so unfair.

No, scratch that. His father is so unfair. His father is such a Slyth-

But Yoongi is a Slytherin as well. Yoongi, who looks so cool now, with his grey hair and his aloof demeanour. Who works at an electronics shop, which is basically the coolest thing someone could do in Jimin's eyes. Yoongi, who actually started to smile back three or four days ago, and who brought an extra lollipop for Jimin when he went to the staff room to get one for himself yesterday.

(The lollipop was pretty boring, nothing burned or wheezed or danced tango on his tongue. But it tasted like strawberries, and Jimin loves strawberries.)

Jimin has to try and stay in contact. So he looks for his quill in his huge Hogwarts suitcase, and some parchment.

 

Hey Yoongi,

I really wanted to come today as well, but my father grounded me. You know, that man who said those awful things about Muggles back then... I swear I wanted to talk to you about it today. I would really have managed to do it. I won't do it now, you deserve an apology face-to-face, so I just want to let you know that we had this huge fight today because he forbids me to use Muggle stuff. He hates Muggles, I don't know why, he is just that kind of bigoted .

Thank you for explaining all those things to me for the past few days, it was so interesting! I have always been fascinated by Muggles, I really admire them for thinking up so many ways to do things without magic! I really enjoyed it. You had every right to be mad and not talk to me, yet you did. I wish I was able to come and ask you some more, but that won't be happening during this summer break, he grounded me for good. He even took my phone and broke it... Well. You didn't have my number anyway, so. Yeah.

Anyway, you're probably glad I won't come over and bother you anymore, but I think maybe you wondered where I was anyway... Well now you know.

I really want to talk to you again as soon as possible, so I can apologize properly. Maybe next time, we can do this train ride right?

I hope you have a nice summer break!

Jimin

 

Of course, Jimin doesn't know Yoongi's address. But asking Namjoon for it would take too long now that he only could do it via owl. So he writes the name Min Yoongi onto the envelope and trusts that his owl would find him.

With a sad sigh, he lets himself fall back onto the bed again and closes his eyes.

Sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh god, I have struggled with this so. Much.

First, I WANT TO THANK MY FRIEND WHO HELPS ME WITH MY ENGLISH because grammatically and , this chapter was crap. Maybe still is. But she did the best she could and of saved it.

Secondly, please guys, be honest - was this too rushed? The thing is, I absolutely loathe fics in which angst is produced artificially by the protagonists being whiny es who won't talk to each other. I didn't want to do that. I wanted Jimin to be apologetic enough and Yoongi to have a big enough crush to make it believable they would talk again like that. As Tae said; they think about each other all the time. I don't want them to be apart.

Also, I am kind of addressing an issue I had with Harry Potter for the longest time, and that is: I think Arthur Weasley is one of the most genius characters of the book. He sees the POTENTIAL Muggles and their technology have, even for the Wizard community. And with fancy stuff like smartphones, I wanted my characters to see it as well. And I wanted bigoted s who don't. Which became a plot device lol.

I LIVE AND BREATHE FOR YOUR COMMENTS !!! AND SUBS. This update took long, because a lot of stuff is going on in my life plus I am a lazy and that is not a good combination. But yesterday I re-read your comments and suddenly, I was so motivated to do this. Yeah.

And if you want to know why my life is so busy SIDE-EYES BIGHIT I SEE U BIGHIT DON'T DROP THIS WOMAN HAS TO WRITE HER MASTER THESIS you can follow me on Twittrrrrrrr @newkindofthrill (it's private I will check you out first hoho)

bye until next time xoxoxoxo THANK YOU FOR READING