Lowkey BFFs

The Same Things (That We Don't Know)

Author's Note: I'm screwing with their ages a bit, shush.
                       (Excuse the ultra trashy title, I'll go barf now.)


Yoongi curses the day he decided it would be a good idea to let his siblings invade his apartment whenever they felt like it. He’s only lived there for six months, but he’s already been forced to keep a sleeping bag ready for Dahyun.

(Dahyun likes to lie on the sleeping bag as she looks through her pictures. Why she wouldn’t prefer an actual blanket and pillow, Yoongi will probably never understand, but his sister can be weird like that sometimes.)

And now, now, he has to move a bed, an actual fricking bed into his bedroom. Because Jihoon the Precious can't possibly just use a sleeping bag like his weird older sister.

(Yoongi was just fine sleeping on a futon. Who needs a bed and a couch when you can have both in one, amirite????)

But, Yoongi broke his arm climbing a tree (he was figuring out if there would be a good perch for him to sit and film something from above; there wasn't.), and this means that he has no way of getting that bed anywhere.

At first, he considers calling Mark, but Mark is a doofus who doesn’t know when to stop joking and Yoongi lacks the patience for that today. The only other person he can think of is his neighbor, Jackson. Yoongi doesn’t know Jackson very well, but he knows that he’s a DJ at night and spends most of the day at home.

(The building consensus is that he’s working on new music in the daytime, but once, Yoongi heard some gossipy mailman saying that Jackson’s actually a drug dealer who sets up all of his deals in the morning and carries them out at night. That same mailman also stole the packages of half the building, so nobody really paid attention to him.)

The few times Yoongi and Jackson interacted were when they happened to be in the elevator at the same time. Yoongi made small talk, and Jackson grunted in acknowledgement without replying.

Thinking back on these times, Yoongi realizes that makes him the perfect person to help: quiet, well-muscled, and quiet.

(Honestly, Yoongi’s just glad that he doesn’t have to see Mark today.)

Jackson literally lives across the hall, so it doesn’t take long for Yoongi to be standing in front of his door, knuckles softly rapping against the wall.

(He does it against the wall and not the door because his knuckles are still sensitive from the fall.)

He hears something just then, the sound of footsteps and then the door opening, and there’s Jackson standing in front of him. He looks somewhat miffed, phone in his hand.

“What?”

(He says it in a grumpy manner, but Yoongi can be just as grumpy if not grumpier than the man in front of him, so he isn't fazed.)

“Would you mind helping me with something? My younger brother apparently finds it absolutely necessary that he sleep on a proper bed and...well, I can't do much heavy lifting at the moment."

Jackson stares at him with a blank face. As Yoongi wonders if he'll have to suffer through Mark's dorkiness, Jackson holds the phone back up to his ear.

“Yeah, Jiwon, I’m gonna help my neighbor with something. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

He slides the phone into the pocket of his shorts and opens the door further, stepping into the hallway.

“You don't have to do it, you know. I can find someone else." Yoongi says. 

“Nah, I don’t have anything better to do.” Jackson says, looking significantly less annoyed than a second ago.

“Uh, okay then."

The first thing Jackson does when he enters Yoongi's apartment is remove the door to the bedroom. Yoongi watches as he retrieves a hammer and screwdriver from his own toolkit.

("I used to help my dad around the house when I was younger. Taught me some important stuff, like how to replace the locks and stuff. Comes in handy.”)

Yoongi stands there and feels useless with his arm in a sling, watching as Jackson angles the frame so that it fits, biceps bulging with the effort.

(Yoongi would totally have biceps, but he spends all of his time watching movies and overanalyzing them, so he doesn’t get that much exercise. Cameras are a bit heavy, though, so he’s not a complete softie.)

Yoongi is thankful that he can at least get one hand on the mattress as Jackson pulls it into the room.

He manages to slip out into the hallway after holding the door long enough for Jackson to get one hinge pin in.

He notices that the door to Jackson’s apartment isn’t quite closed all the way. Yoongi decides to do the neighborly thing and close it.

(After he looks around a bit.)

The room is pretty much what he expected; paper plates and cups lay here and there, notebooks full of schedules and contact numbers scattered across the couch. Yoongi sees a photo on the wall opposite him, showing Jackson standing in between a young girl and an older man, with a woman about the man’s age to the girl’s left.

 Must be his family.

Before he can leave and act like he wasn’t snooping in someone’s place of residence, Jackson taps his shoulder and Yoongi pales.

“Oh, are you done?” Yoongi says, not turning around.

“Yeah. Did you need anything else?” Jackson asks, apparently willing to talk to Yoongi’s back.

“No, that was it.”

They’re silent, and Yoongi tries really hard to make the look of embarrassment no doubt on his face disappear. Then, Jackson steps next to him and points to the girl in the photo.

“That’s my sister, Tzuyu. We don’t live in the same city anymore, so I don’t get to see her as much.”

“Oh.” Yoongi says, thinking Jackson is trying to tell him something.

Yoongi leaves.

(He turns around and almost asks Jackson if he wants to come over later, but then he wonders if being around Dahyun will just make him miss Tzuyu even more. Before he can say anything, though, Jackson says he noticed the camera equipment in Yoongi’s apartment, and that he might have a project he’d need someone like Yoongi to help with, once his arm heals of course. Yoongi’s voice trips over the “yes” that hurls itself out of his throat.)

That night, Jihoon complains as Yoongi ruffles his hair and Dahyun takes a photo of the two, ever-present camera hanging from her neck.


 

                                                                                                           fin