Remember

Lose You

Mingyu slowly opens his eyes. He feel someone’s holding his hand. He felt a motion on his side but he can barely see who’s with him because everything he see is blurry. He tightens his hold but the other let go of his hand. The person disappears but after a few moment, he can feel that the room becomes crowded. Mingyu’s  sight becomes clearer as time goes by. Now, he can clearly see the faces of the people surrounding him. He scans each faces, but he can only recognize one..

 

 

“Mom.”

 

 

His mom come forward beside him. At the same time, the doctor comes near Mingyu. 

 

 

“Ahm, can you remember your name?” Dr. Lee asks Mingyu. Mingyu can’t speak well but he tries.

 

 

“Ah.. Mi.. Min.. Gyu.. I’m.. Kim Min.. Gyu.” his mom hold his hand. She’s very happy that Mingyu finally woke up. 

 

 

“That’s a good sign. He can still remember his name. And as we can see, he recognized you Mrs. Kim.” Dr. Lee smiles to Mingyu’s mom.

 

 

“But Mingyu, how about the others? This two guys here beside your mom,” he points to the direction of Jun and Wonwoo, “Do you know them?”

 

 

Mingyu stares at the two guy. His eyebrows curled and he shook his head.

 

 

“Sorry, but I can’t remember them.” Mingyu gives a confused look to his mom and to Dr. Lee.

 

 

Mingyu starts to panic and his hold to his mom’s hand tightens, “ Mom, I can’t remember anything. Why am I here? What happened? Who are they? Why I can’t  remember them? I can’t remember anything, mom!” Mingyu cries. Mrs, Kim, Dr. Lee and the nurse try to calm him down. Mrs. Kim also starts to cry. She feels  really bad for her son.

 

 

Wonwoo wants to leave the room. He is about to run, but Jun didn’t let him. Jun grabs Wonwoo arms to stop him.

 

 

“Hyung!”

 

 

“Where are you going?” Jun whispers and his hold to Wonwoo gets more tighter. He move near the face of the younger so he can hear what Jun is going to say.

 

 

“Wonwoo, try to understand what’s happening first. Please.”

 

 

“But hyung, he can’t remember us. He don’t know me? Why? I really can’t understand. Why is this happening, hyung? It hurts. It really hurts here.” Wonwoo pointed  the left side of his chest. Tears start to fall on his eyes but Jun wipes it before the others can see it.

 

 

“Wonwoo, don’t cry!” the older put his both hands on the top of Wonwoo’s shoulders, “Don’t show Mingyu that you’re hurting. Be strong.. Please, Wonwoo. We both  don’t know yet what happened. That’s why we need to stay here. Okay?” Wonwoo just stare to Jun with his sad eyes.

 

 

The room was filled again with silence when Mingyu finally calm down. Dr. Lee injected Mingyu something that causes him to fall asleep. Then, Dr. Lee starts to  speak.

 

 

“Mrs. Kim, Mingyu losses some of his memories because of the severe damage on his brain caused by the accident” Mrs. Kim gently rubs the head of her son, “But don’t worry, his memories will eventually come back soon. Just help him remember things.” Mrs. Kim nods.

 

 

“But..” Dr. Lee turn his gaze to Jun and Wonwoo, “we can’t promise that all of his memories will come back.” Dr. Lee looks again to Mingyu, “ Some of his memories, probably memories from past months before the accident, are quite hard for him to remember. Or worst, it will be gone forever.”

 

 

Wonwoo pulls Jun’s shirt after he heard what Dr. Lee says. Months before the accident. Jun looked at Wonwoo and he put his arms around the younger’s shoulders.

 

 

“Just be positive Wonwoo. Everything will be alright. Be strong. Help Mingyu remember.” Wonwoo nods but the worry and sadness didn’t leave his face.

 

 

Though Mingyu can’t remember them, Jun and Wonwoo volunteered themselves to take care of him while Mrs. Kim is away for work. They organize their schedule  so their studies won’t be affected. Mingyu then learned that he and Wonwoo are classmates, Jun and Wonwoo are bestfriends, and the two are both his closest  friends (they are not really sure about that.)

 

 

Mingyu is having a difficulty in eating, standing and walking by himself. So Jun and Wonwoo are giving an extra effort to help him, especially Wonwoo. Wonwoo is  eager to help Mingyu remember him. He keeps on telling the younger about their school, activities and events and even teaching Mingyu some lessons so he can  catch up when he get back to school. The two are not really close so Wonwoo can’t tell about the events and things happened to Mingyu personally. But there is  one thing he wants the younger to remember, Mingyu’s feelings for Wonwoo. But Jun told im that they should focus more to the important things Mingyu needs to  remember first. Though, Wonwoo misses him so much, he needs to wait, until the right time.

 

 

Five days passed, Mingyu is getting better. His words are all clear and he can already eat on his own. But of course, Wonwoo is still always there to guide him  specially when eating.

 

 

Wonwoo is sitting on the left side of the bed and Jun is on the other side peeling an orange for Mingyu, when Mingyu suddenly asks a question.

 

 

“Do I have a girlfriend?”

 

 

Jun and Wonwoo freeze on their place and then exchanged looks. Without planning, they both answer Mingyu.. But different answers.

 

 

“None.”

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

“Hyung?” Wonwoo was shocked and confused with Jun’s answer. What is he saying? Mingyu never had a girlfriend. 

 

 

Jun extends his hand to give Mingyu the oranges and then he starts explaining. “ Actually Mingyu, you don’t have a girlfriend. But, what made me say yes is because you are in love with someone before the accident happened.”

 

 

Wonwoo looked at Mingyu to watch his reaction but the younger just nods.

 

 

“Really? But does she knows about it? I mean, is she aware that I like her? What’s her name? How does she looks? Can you describe her?”

 

 

Her.

 

 

Jun and Wonwoo again exchanged looks. Jun wants to tell Mingyu that it’s not ‘her’, instead, it’s ‘him’. And for Wonwoo’s thoughts, it’s me.

 

 

 

They don’t know how they will explain it to Mingyu. They don’t want to make the younger be confused when they told him that’s he’s in love with a boy and not with a girl. It might mess up his recovery. After a short while, Jun has finally constructed his words.

 

 

“Mingyu, all we really know is you are in love. Head over heels, actually,” Jun makes a quick glance to his best friend to check his reaction. As expected, Jeon Wonwoo with his poker face. Such a great actor. Jun smiles a little and continues, “and you know what, your type is very quiet, shy and cute, really cute. But, it  transforms into a monster when you are around.” Jun pouts.

 

 

“Yah! Hyung!” Wonwoo throws the pillow he’s holding to Jun.

 

 

“Does it mean, she doesn’t like me?” Mingyu pouts then he suddenly noticed Wonwoo, “Wonwoo hyung? Why are you blushing?” Wonwoo immediately covers his  face with his hand because of embarrassment then Mingyu and Jun started laughing.

 

 

Mingyu never caught Wonwoo blushing before. Wonwoo is really good in hiding it. But now, Wonwoo was surprised because he is not aware of it, so it shows. Maybe because he knows that it doesn’t really matter for now since Mingyu doesn’t have an idea. But Wonwoo was still embarrassed.

 

 

“Wonwoo hyung? Do you know her?” Mingyu asks again.

 

 

“Ah..no, Mingyu. I just.. Ah.. I remembered my..ex. Yeah. My ex-girlfriend.” Wonwoo gives Mingyu a fake smile but it comes out real.

 

 

Jun throws a piece of orange to Wonwoo, “Shut up, Wonwoo! You never had a girlfriend. Please remember that we are here to help Mingyu regain his memory. So  say only the truth, don’t make stories please!”

 

 

Mingyu look at Wonwoo with little disappointment on his face. Wonwoo just rolled his eyes that makes Jun laugh. He felt defeated. “Okay. Sorry, I lied. I never had a girlfriend. I blushed because.. Ahm..your love story is cute, Mingyu. It touches me that’s why I reacted like that.”

 

 

“Aw, you’re so cute Wonwoo hyung!” Mingyu teases the older that makes him blush again.

 

 

Jun burst out of laughter as he watches his best friend turns into a tomato in front of Mingyu. Wonwoo walk out of the room to escape that embarrassing moment.  The rest of the day went out so well. The two left Mingyu before 9 pm.

 

 

 

The next day, Jun arrives at the hospital early in the morning. His class will start at 1 pm so he decided to visit Mingyu alone since Wonwoo has his classes in the morning. When he enters the room, Mingyu is already awake.

 

 

“Ah, you’re so early, hyung!” Mingyu greeted Jun with his sweet smile.

 

 

“My class is later in the afternoon so I decided to go here. How’s you’re sleep? Oh, wait. I’ll make you a sandwich.” Jun go to the table near the window to start  making the sandwiches.

 

 

“Thanks hyung.” Mingyu starts to move his eyes around the room.

 

 

“No one bothers to tell me me what are these sticky notes for?”, he stares on the left side of the room. “I also never bother to ask, though” he releases a small laugh.

 

 

Jun bites his lips. He wants to tell Mingyu that it was all made by Wonwoo while he is in comatose. But he don’t know how to say it. 

 

 

“Jun hyung?”

 

 

“Hmm?”

 

 

“Am I gay?”

 

 

Jun almost dropped the spoon he was holding. He was shocked by the sudden question of the younger. He turn around to face Mingyu.

 

 

“Why Mingyu? Do you remember something?”

 

 

“Ahm hyung, I really can’t remember anything. But there’s something inside of me, I can’t explain.”

 

 

Jun’s heart jumps because of excitement. How he wish Wonwoo is there so he can be the one to explain Mingyu everything. Jun tries to look and sound innocent.

 

 

“Omg. Kim Mingyu. Don’t tell me, you..like...

 

 

Me?” he gives the younger a shy smile and Mingyu laughs.

 

 

“No hyung. It’s not you.”

 

 

“Oh, maybe..the doctor? You like Dr. Lee Seokmin, right? Well, he is quite really attractive.”

 

 

“Nope.” Mingyu gives Jun a suspicious look, “hyung? You like him, don’t you?” and he laughs.

 

 

Jun tries not to blush, but he can’t. He sits on the left side of Mingyu’s bed.

 

 

“Then, why do you suddenly asked that question? Is there something that bothers you, Mingyu?!

 

 

Mingyu nods with a sad smile on his face. And he turn his gaze to the notes on the wall, “These notes actually bothers me, hyung. To be honest, I really can’t  remember some of the stories written here, but I don’t why I felt like I can relate to some of the messages here. I don’t understand.” Jun don’t understand what’s  the connection between the notes and being a gay. It makes him confused. “By the way, hyung? May I know who wrote this messages?” Mingyu added.

 

 

Should I tell him? Jun hesitates. He wants to tell Mingyu cause he don’t want him to think a lot because it can affect his recovery. But he don’t want the answers to come from him. Jun needs to make a decision. He stares at Mingyu for seconds and answers.

 

 

“It’s Wonwoo.”

 

 

Mingyu’s lips curve into a smile. Jun was suprised. This is not the reaction he was expecting.

 

 

Mingyu nods, “Now, it all make sense.” He doesn’t remove the smile on his face as he look again at the notes on the wall. Jun is really confused. He can’t read  Mingyu’s mind.

 

 

“Oh hyung, you’re not yet answering my first question, am I gay?” Mingyu asks again without looking at Jun.

 

 

“Hmm. How will I say this. Ahm, remember when you asked if you have a girlfriend? I told you you don’t  have but you are in love. Mingyu, actually, it’s not a girl..  You are in love..with a boy..” Jun bites his lips.  He can feel the loud beating in his chest. Am I nervous? Or excited? 

 

 

Mingyu turn to Jun, “really? That’s great.” he nods. He looks away, still with a smile on his face, “I bet it’s Wonwoo.”

 

 

Jun’s eyes turn wide. He asks again the younger to make sure he heard it right. “What’s that again, Mingyu?”

 

 

Mingyu keeps on staring at the wall with a wider smile.

 

 

“It’s amazing to think that my heart can remember.. what my mind cannot. Hyung..

 

 

 

 

I think I still like him.”

 

 

Mingyu gives Jun a smile and look straight to the eyes of the older. Jun also smiles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m still in love with Wonwoo.”