Returning Home

What do you see, when you look at me?

Hello. Here is the first chapter, I know it's a little boring now, but i promise it will be better! I hope you will enjoy ^-^ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

 

 

The little bell rang as I opened the door. I walked inside the coffee. Despite the fact that it was already 8 in the evening, there were lots of people sitting at the tables and chatting. Yura, one of the employees smiled at me and waved her hand. I smiled back and walked towards her.

-         Hyeri, long time since you were here. – she looked at me while giving me a cup of tea. I thanked her with a small bow and took a sip of it.

-         Yes. I have a long break during the summer and i wanted to come back to Korea because i dont know when will be the next time i have spare time. And anyway, I missed my mom. – i smiled at her while putting my hair behind my ear.

-         Then go ahead. She is at the back side.

I found my mom outside the building with a young male who was wearing our caffee’s shirt. When my Mom saw me I think she was the happiest person alive. I bowed to them and walked there, right inside my Mom’s hug.

-         Honey. What are you doing here? – my mother asked me with a wild smile on her face

-         I have summer break.

-         But last year you told me that you had school stuffs during the summer to. Oh, don’t tell me you left the school? – she asked confused, buta at the end she got angry

-         No, it’s just that the next year is my last one so they let us rest a bit. Actually i could have school stuff now too, but we can choose not to do them. You know, they give us an opportunity to work under the school, so it does count as school program, but you get money for it. – I explained to her, while she was holding my hand

-         And why is it good? – she asked again

-         Because if you go to these program in the summer, you don’t have to go during school. And vica-versa. You know, if you want a degree with experience, than you have to go to these, or you will be just like any other kid with just a single degree.

-         Oh. I understand, I think. But why don’t they just count it as a lesson so it woudn’t be a bother for the students? Ah, sometimes this american style is just too different for me. – she smiled at me softly. – Oh, let me introduce you to Hyunseung, our newest worker.

-         Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Hyunseung. – he bowed to me with his hand reaching for mine

-         Hello, I’m Hyeri. Nice to meet you too. – I bowed too while shaking his hand.

As soon as we introduced ourselfs my mom started to talk again and grabbed my hands while walking inside the caffee. I had to say hello to everybody and when they put a slice of cake in front of me I already started to think about my escape. I politely started to eat it, while everybody was talking. After a while they didn’t even talk to me, or asked me, they were just enjoying the end of the day. The guests started to leave the place and I sat there watching them leave. When there were only a few people sitting I stood up and said I was tired because of the travelling, so I left. I went home and took a hot bath. I have no idea how long i have been there, but when i woke up from my thougths the water was already cold. I got out and went to my old room. I haven’t been there for 4 years if I count it right. After my parents divorced I went with my dad to America, because we already knew that I want to go to school there. I didn’t regret my choice. I still love both of my parents, and I still talk to them whenever I want. I looked at the photos on the wall. It wasn’t me, who put them there. I never had a bunch of friends, I only had the workers of my mom’s place. And those photos, all of them was taken there. Actually I liked them, especially Yura. She was there since we were 16. Yes, i might say that she was one of my best friends. Just like Sojin and Minah. Most of the times we were just drinking in the coffee after work, but sometimes we went out. They were all weird girls, just like me. I smiled at the photos that my mom chose to put on my wall, and went to my bed. I got my phone and texted my father that I got home safely, and I’m totally ok. After that I layed on my bed and fell asleep.

 

I came back to Seoul almost a week ago, and all I did was sitting at home, eating, watching TV and sometimes I went to the caffee to drink a delicious shake or tea. I was enjoying my life, i liked that I had to do nothing, I could sleep until lunch time and I didn’t have to study. I could be my introvert myself. Anyway, my mother didn’t like it. She wanted me to make some friends, or go out and get a boyfriend, because at my age I should already think about this. Well, I didn’t think 23 was that much. I had plenty of time going after boys. But of course nothing went by as I wanted.

-         Honey, wake up. I need you in the caffee today, Sojin can’t come. – my mom came inside my room with a glass of kakao. I sat up and watched at my phone.

-         Omma, I just fell asleep like 3 hours ago. – I whined when I saw it was only 6 in the morning.

-         And why were you up till that late? – she raised her eyebrow

-         Ah, I’m not a kid, I can stay up late and watch Tv, or read. – I pouted and took a sip from my kakako.

-         If you are not a kid anymore, then you can help us in the caffee. If you want to come with my car then be ready in 30 minutes. – she smiled at me and left my room.

I made a fake cry and after 5 minutes I got out of my bed. I washed up and dressed myself. My favourite combination, jeans and an oversized gray pullover, since it was a little cloudy outside. I put on a little make up, and went outside. My mom was already there waiting for me. I put on my shoes and left the house. By car it was only 10 minutes to get there. There were already some of the workers. I went in and bowed while saying hello. The first thing that I noticed was that they didn’t wear the caffee’s shirt, instead they were wearing name tags.

-         Heyri, what are you doing here at this hour? – asked Yura with a little laugh

-         I came to help you guys out. – I nodded with a weird expression on my face. She laughed at me, and handed me an empty name tag.

-         Should I write your name on it, or you can do it? – she asked laughing

-         I can do it, thanks. – I smiled at here and searched for a pen.

When I found one i sat down and wrote my name on it, making it readable from far too, and started to draw mandala on the sides of the paper. While the others got ready for the day I sat there and to be busy. I didn’t like the idea of working here, even just a day. I don’t really like people. The ball rang and I looked at my watch. We still had 2 minutes until 8. I looked around and noticed, that I was the only worker and the girl who just entered was staring at me with a confused face.