Broken

Spouse Exchange

 

 

 

I looked up to Yunho and just knit my eyebrows together at the words he had uttered. His smile, no more dashing but blinding, seemed irritating. I stood up and his smile soon melted. Must’ve been from the expression I had on.

  “Where is he?” I asked as I turn my back to him to wash my arms and then aim it to my car to wash away the soap on its bodice.

  Yunho struggled to put the words together in a sentence, but he got it eventually and answered solemnly, “Probably in my apartment, getting comfy with my wife.” He didn’t seem at all happy admitting the fact. I couldn’t blame him. I knew how it felt like – exactly.

  I stormed into the house, grabbed the car keys by the door and stormed back out to slide into the driver seat. As I tried to start the car, I told Yunho, “Get in.”

  “Eh?” he said questioningly.

  “Just get in!” I yelled in frustration once the car roared to life. Once he had seated in the passenger seat, I asked, “Where’s your apartment?”

  “Somewhere close to Gang Nam,” he answered before he gripped the door as I reversed out of my driveway and then he yelled when I accelerated.

  “I need specifics, Yunho-ssi,” I said as I pressed on the gas until it was close to a hundred.

  “Slow down for a minute first, will you,” he said nervously as he gripped the side door until his knuckles turned white.

  “I need them now, Yunho-ssi!” I demanded impatiently.

  “Alright, alright!” he yelled back as he closed his eyes and took in a deep breath before saying, “In between Jung and Hwang District, there’s an apartment block there. My room is on the tenth floor.” He then slowly turns to me and asks, “Now will you slow down?”

  I did the exact opposite and drove my car like I’ve never driven it before. I could’ve gotten a ticket for going over the speed limit but I was about to burst and I wanted to burst at my husband instead of a police man. Nothing will stop me from this will to confront him. Like they say, Hell has no fury for a woman scorned.

  It wasn’t long until I was able to park at the entrance. It took a while for Yunho to finally unbuckle his seatbelt and hop out of the car to join me as I stomp my way into the apartment. There was a guard who stopped me and asked, “Your credentials ma’am.”

  I turned to Yunho who was soon beside me and showed his credentials. The guard let us pass and I was glad as soon as I pressed the going up button, an elevator opened. I stepped in and immediately pressed the button 10.

  Yunho stood beside me, silent and probably anxious as I was. I had my arms crossed and my foot tapping impatiently on the floor. I was angry, furious even and nervous as to what I might just say to him. I might make a fool out of myself but at least I let out whatever it is that I wanted to let out at the moment.

  As soon as the elevator doors opened, I took in a deep breath walked out. I forgot to ask for the room number so I turned around and asked, “Which one is it?”

  He stopped and stuttered, “At – at the end.”

  I nodded and walked straight ahead. I was nervous, my hands were shaking, heck I was shaking all over and my palms were sweating. I didn’t know what else to do as I stood in front of the door. Should I ring the doorbell? Should I knock? Should I just kick down the door? What do I do?

  I pushed my hair aside and just banged on the door three times before I took a few steps back and waited for the door to open. It was taking a long time but when I wanted to knock on the door again, the door swung open and I heard her say, “Who is it?”

  It was Su Yeon, in a pink bath robe, her long hazel brown hair loose and free over her shoulders. She was small, real petite which men really liked. I had to give it to her, I wanted to just run away and cry as I thought; my husband left me for this being in front of me. I had dropped my hand to my side and was about to turn away when he came out.

  Si Won had probably come out of the bathroom, because he was in only a towel hanging around his waist. His hands held a towel over his head as he tried to dry his wet hair. He asked, “Who is it, sweetie?”

  At that exact moment, my anger reignited. My hatred towards him just went off the edge and he had the nerve to call this woman, another man’s wife; sweetie?! When his eyes landed on me, I knew he knew what he was in for.

  I pushed Su Yeon aside and marched into the apartment; not caring of the appalled expression Su Yeon held and pulled out my wedding ring. I let the tears fall but they weren’t in despair, they were for holding too much anger inside me.

  Once I thought I was close enough, I threw the ring at him and started yelling, “How could you?!! After all I’ve done for you, this is what you do to me?!!” I pushed my hair back, and my lips as I took in a deep breath and continued, “We’re married, for crying out loud Si Won and you go around sleeping with someone else’s wife like it’s NOTHING?!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?! WHAT ARE YOU?!!” I came closer and started hitting him in the chest as I yelled repeatedly, “How could you do this to me?! How could you!!!”

  People around us probably heard my yelling but I couldn’t care less as I continued to hit him with my fists. I knew they were of no use but . . . I just had to know why. It wasn’t long until someone pulled me back from Si Won to stop my yelling and hitting since he wasn’t doing anything but watch. I retaliated and tried to get myself close again but the man pulling me was too strong.

  Once we were out the door, Su Yeon immediately slams the door shut and I dropped to the floor. I hugged myself and just let myself go. My tears were unstoppable. I couldn’t hold them back anymore. They were just endlessly flowing.

  It was later did I realize the man pulling me back was Yunho. He knelt beside me and just watched as I broke down, clutching my clothes as if for dear life, and as I wailed in tears. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t speak, and all I could feel was pain. Such immense pain like my heart was literally being shredded to pieces. Once I had calmed down a little, Yunho had tried to make me stand up from my position on the floor. It took a good few tries but he succeeded eventually.

  I ignored the glares and the looks Yunho’s neighbours gave me. They didn’t know my story so they had no right to judge. When we got to the ground floor, Yunho patiently guides me across the lobby and into my car. I sat in the passenger seat while he got into the driver seat. He must’ve taken my keys as he led me out because the car suddenly roared to life.

  I had finally stopped crying and just stared into oblivion as I pulled my legs up and hugged them tight. My mind wandered off to many places but it only came back to one place, it had to come back to the memory of the expression Si Won held as I barged in – annoyance. 

 

 

Yunho’s POV

It was the first time I had actually seen a woman go crazy like that before. Compared to what I did, I considered myself very calm. She went completely haywire. It was like a wire tripped or snapped in her head when she saw him come out. She just started to yell and cry at the same time and then hit him repeatedly. Poor idiot looked confused and irritated.

  I couldn’t blame her really. If I were in her shoes, I’d probably react the same way, create about the same commotion. She just seemed so . . . broken. I stole glances at her in the passenger seat because she was just too quiet. It would’ve been possible if she was even frozen.

  When I parked in the driveway, Min Young immediately unbuckled her seatbelt and jolts out the door. I could tell she was about to break down again. I just sat there in the car and just let out a sigh as my hands continued to grip the steering wheel. I was stressed myself as I wonder what I should do after what just happened.

  Do I really stay here or do I stay at a motel? It was just a bet really; I could just barge into that apartment and kick him out. But at the same time, Su Yeon might not just be able to forgive me – for some reason, I thought. I just grumbled and leaned my forehead against the steering wheel as I try to come up with a plan. I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard glasses crashing from inside the house.

  Curious and worried, I bolted out of the car and ran into the house to find it in a complete chaos. Frames and vases that once held bouquets of flowers were on the floor. Plates, glasses and everything you could imagine; were in pieces on the floor. As I slowly walked into the house, I saw Min Young by the kitchen, rummaging through the drawers and cupboards of kitchen utensils and just throwing them out across the room.

  Once the drawers had been emptied out, she turned around and stomped her way to the living room. My eyes watched as she headed to the one thing that still looked untouched and unharmed in the room, the plasma TV.

  “No, don’t do it!” I told her as I tried to stop her but she didn’t listen.

  Her fingers grabbed the left side and pulled it down. The sound of it crashing down onto the floor, echoed in my ears. I watched with my heart a little sore, as the beauty just lay there, completely demolished, and probably was the only entertainment I had of this house if it hadn’t been for her wanting to ruin everything.

  Despite the fact she had just destroyed a really expensive TV she still wanted to demolish more items in the house. I couldn’t stand watching her like this anymore.

  I grabbed her from behind and just embraced her as I said firmly, “Stop it, Min Young. Just stop it!”

  She retaliated and struggled, the same was she did back at my apartment. “No! He hurt me!! I should hurt him back!!” she yelled as she struggled to get out of my hold on her. Soon, he yells became cries and she soon just completely stopped and sobbed. She just drops on the ground with me still holding her and cried. “I don’t mean anything to him anymore,” she said in between sobs.

  My heart sores more at the sight of this sad woman. I knelt down on one knee behind her and pulled her close. As her shoulders shake from the tears that she shed, I just embraced her and tried to give her the best comfort I could give her.

  I cooed in her ear, “Hey, it’s going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay.”

  She holds onto my arm around her and buries her face in it. I tried to sooth her the best way I could and we just sat there, as she cried into my arm and I held her close to me until she calmed down. What else was there to do?