02화 시작 (Start)

Perhaps You're Different
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Behind any door lies anew"

 -unknown

{민경}

“Here you go, 2005. Welcome to your new home.”

Girim ahjumma gave me a warm smile from the side as I look around the room. White walls with accents of brown surrounded me, a window overlooking the busy yet fascinating city. It’s nice and unexpectedly clean. My eyes continue to roam around the room that exuded a warm feeling of home. Girim ahjumma explained the rules in this apartment with a bonus story about the people who lived in here. She also mentioned her connections with my mother and it turns out they were college colleagues. She also claimed that they were the ulzzangs (best faces) back in the days. I only laughed at the thought of my mom being all fashionable and stuff. After a long while of chit chat, ahjumma leaves my room.  I start unpacking my things, plopped onto the floor with the boxes and luggage surrounding me. Taking out things one by one. Cooking utensils and etc., I’ll leave that for later. Shower necessities, to the side— I paused for quite a while as I come across a box. Memories—I opened it carefully. Photo albums were on top and the rest were heirlooms that are very dear to me. I ran a hand through the cover to wipe some of the dust off before opening the album. Her face was the first thing I see. Halmeoni…

2 Years Ago

“Aigoo-ya, who is this that my old eyes see?”

Her energetic yet aged voice filled up the room. She was getting older, of course but my grandmother’s charm is still growing.

“Halmeoni, it’s me, your Minkyung~”

I hugged her as soon as I got to her.

“My  Minkyung-ah, how are you? Have you been eating well? Do you still have kimchi at home—“

She coughed before she could even finish her sentence, covering with a slightly dirty cloth she had in her pocket. I held supported her as she coughs several more times. My eyes started to get teary for some reason as I look at her as she suffers. My lips were trembling as I attempted to speak. Tears were quickly falling down from my eyes every time I close them shut. I felt her warm gaze at me and her hands that were hardened by all the labor she has done. Halmeoni wiped my tears all away and gave me a smile.

“Don’t tell your mom, okay? I’ll be fine anyways.”

“But halmeoni-“

She shushed me and just smiled and that was the last time I saw her alive.

Halmeoni always told me to follow my dreams because she never got to say that to eomma.

 

 

 

This is for you, Halmeoni

 

Time passed by and exhaustion wrapped my body. The sound of my stomach growling broke the silence.

“omo—“

I hold onto my stomach and give it a rub as I look at the clock. I wish I could eat eomma’s food. I already miss her so much. My stomach growls louder than the last time. The stove’s still not yet set up and I don’t have any food yet. Aish. My apartment’s still a mess so I put on my jacket and shoes and went out with the convenience store as my destination. The moment I stepped out of the building, the chilly air caressed my skin causing me to slightly scrunch my face. I remembered that there was a convenience store somewhere around here—where was it again? I scratched my head as I look around upon entering an unknown street. A figure was standing ahead, a man taller than me who looks like he just got out from drinking. He looked my way and whistled.

“Hey, Agassi—Come here!”

My feet froze in my current position as I hear his voice sending a chill to my spine. My hands were trembling. He walked closer and closer. I stepped back slowly then ran as fast as I could to whichever way I was going to. He chased after, frequently shouting.

“Come on! Let’s play! Don’t be scared!”

He was nearing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter