Shot

Perks of Being Nothing

3. Shot



The little parts was what he loved best.

He didn’t live in lies, anymore. He lived in truth now, he supposed—Kyungsoo that is.

The camera on the stand was facing the tables, adjusting his equipment for actual purpose this time. It was the first of it, and he was already loving it. Feeling in charge made him feel great inside.

Only he and Kris was at the studio.

Kyungsoo had arrived at 10, an hour later just to be safe. His heart tumbled when he saw Kris sitting down, working cautiously on his MacBook but he was welcomed with a warm smile. Kris asked him basic questions, trying to create small talk.

Kyungsoo wondered when he’ll feel comfortable enough to just go up to him and give a knowing hug. Yes, he loved hugs. They were nice. Sometimes.

Kyungsoo also loved how coldness of the camera tickled his fingers, the black color creating a different meaning. But he wondered why it felt the way it did.

Possibly because it sat in his room most of the times and was desperately unfreezing itself. That made Kyungsoo feel bad—putting his camera through that. But all people abused their beloved items once, right? Or so he thought. Or so he knew.

He told to Kris clap to adjust the audio for the video.

He asked him once more because it wasn’t loud enough.

Kyungsoo thought the members clowned all day. But they didn’t. Well from what Kyungsoo had seen today.

Kris wasn’t browsing through his laptop just to increase his boredom. He was replying to emails, making schedules, or sometimes making business calls. He was a worker and Kyungsoo wanted to be like him, passionate in his craft.

Maybe in the future he could take those emails, make schedules, and try to sound professional through the phone. Disregarding being the editor or he preferred to be called director, he wouldn’t mind helping them out with their other works.

Shut up. It’s only my first day.

And it was. And Kyungsoo had already created a false future. Perhaps not a false one but a stupid one. You can’t get excited about doing someone else’s job. It didn’t benefit him at all. Editing only.

Kyungsoo felt himself go red when he saw Kai walk in through the door with the other members including Amber. They were all carrying bags with a well-known yellow M on it with drinks in their hands. Kyungsoo, however, turned away and continued to adjust his camera.

“Kyungsoo!” It was Sehun. “We bought you breakfast.”

Kyungsoo didn’t know why that made him happy. “Thank you,” he said. “But you didn’t have to.”

Chen threw him a biscuit. “Nah, not that big of a deal,” He hopped onto his spinning chair. “You’re a worker now. Gotta treat you too.”

“Where’s Taemin?” Kyungsoo asked. He seen him on a few of Kai vlogs but the lad never had much to say. It seemed he was teased a lot, playfully, but Kyungsoo believed he was officially done with the member’s bull.

“Late.” Chanyeol commented, sitting down also. All the members were eating at the discussion table while Amber sat at the couch. “He’s always late. You’ll probably end up filming two topic videos while Taemin do the rest.”

“But I’ve decided to let the other girl we hired to film the rest,” Kris announced. “It’s your first day. Don’t wanna pressure you.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “No pressure at all.”

They ate together after Kyungsoo finished adjusting his equipment for shooting. He sat on the couch with Amber with a shaky fingers. At first, it was awkward, not for them but for him. He didn’t know what to say or how to react.

These group of people were ruthless. They talked about things Kyungsoo would never even think about. And to add to his vast dismay, they were funny.

Kyungsoo was not funny. He couldn’t even comment because he was afraid of embarrassing himself. Even Amber had gained some laughter.

This one would be hard.

Kyungsoo did talk at times. Chanyeol asked him some film questions which led to a group discussion but then they found a new topic and Kyungsoo went silent again.

He didn’t ignore the stares Kai would send him. No.

He stared back.

He was becoming more daring as the minutes passed and it surprised Kai. He’ll look away if the stares were becoming too tense. Kyungsoo would always win. He just hoped no one ever saw them because that’ll be embarrassing. 

Kyungsoo didn’t know what it was.

Kai was undeniably flirting with him and he didn’t know how he should take.

Truth of the matter was that he did not desire a relationship at the moment. It would only effect his work. But he assumed he was becoming cocky for thinking Kai actually looked at him that way. It could be just for a fling or it could be just Kai being Kai.

And he was straight.

The group were throwing away the bags once finished. Kris yawned and said, “Kyungsoo, after we film LOLtopics, we’re going to have a meeting. You’re expected to be a part of it.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Gotcha.” He walked to his camera stand and made sure everything was right.

The members began to take their seats, Amber leaving to visit her office. Sehun had his laptop and Kyungsoo assumed he was the host; he watched too many of their videos. “Okay,” He said slowly, zooming out. “Ready?”

“Ready!” Chen shouted.

“Action.” Kyungsoo said, not realizing how dry his voice was.

“In that’s racist news,” Sehun commented, looking into the camera. “In Dallas, Texas a man kicks his daughter out for dating a guy from a different culture.”

“That’s ed up.” Kai said.

Chanyeol nodded. “So this girl has been dating this guy for a year and she says her dad has always said racial slurs to her boyfriend and I’m assuming—not really sure—that the dad just had enough and he kicks her out.”

Chen frowned. “How old is she?” Chanyeol replied with a 17. “Whoa. She’s young.”

“Yeah and the girl is living with her boyfriend’s family now. She says her father wants nothing to do with her because he believes dating is a sin.”

Kris shook his head. “Damn that reminds me of when my cousin had to break up with his girlfriend because her parents wouldn’t accept him because of him cultural back ground.”

Kai expressed his emotions through his hands. “I think people who doesn’t like the fact that their child is opened to dating someone of a different culture is ing crazy. Think about it. At the end of the day, you don’t sleep with that person. Your child does. And if this person is not disrespectful towards you or your family then what the is the problem?”

“I think it’s more of not understanding someone’s culture,” Sehun added. “If my child dated someone who comes from a different background then it’ll be extremely hard for me to understand because I’m not used to it but I think most people don’t even try to understand it.”

“Exactly. Most people don’t even try to understand it. But I think what we need to realize that we’ll never truly understand someone’s culture to the full extent because we weren’t raised in it. That’s just me." Kai raised his hands in defense.

The members discussed the topic a few more minutes before moving onto the next which lasted for a good fifteen minutes. Kyungsoo was impressed. Kai was more socially aware than he thought he was. It wasn’t a turn on, he tried to force it down his throat. It wasn’t. But still.

Kyungsoo removed his camera from the stand and the cold was gone, now replaced with a heat that burned his skin. He smiled when Amber whispered a ‘good job’ while putting his things in his bags. He liked this.

And oddly, hearing the members talk about social issues made him have a better understanding of who they were as people, somehow.

The group was preparing for the meeting, laptops on the tables, serious expressions mocking them.

Due to the setup, Kyungsoo was forced to sit next to Kai.

Amber sat at the head of the table, fulfilling her duties.

“Okay, you guys,” She says. “Okay so we have our creative meeting today. And Kai you were supposed to come up with an idea.” Amber looked cautiously at her clipboard.

Kai nodded. He scrolled through his notes on his laptop and said, “I was thinking we could do a skit about Sehun’s hooker addiction.”

Sehun snorted. “I don’t have a hooker addiction.”

“Then why you’re never around?” Chanyeol asked, a mocking smile on his lips.

“Because I have other things to attend to!”

“Yeah going to a brothel.”

Kyungsoo laughed but leaped when he felt a hand rubbing his left side. He moved Kai’s hand but groaned when the lad placed it right back. Kyungsoo was glad the other members were busy arguing about Sehun’s hooker addiction, not paying them any mind.

Kyungsoo glared at Kai and wanted to punch that smirk of his lips.

“Stop.” He whispered.

“Why?”

“Because,” Kyungsoo removed the hand. “We’re supposed to be working and yet you’re harassing me.”

Kai scoffed, placing his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “You like it though.”

Kyungsoo sighed. “No I don’t. Leave me alone. Please.”

Kai immediately moved. It took Kyungsoo by surprise, made him even feel a little bad but it was soon left when he listened to the meeting in peace.

The group decided that it there were going to film a skit about Sehun’s hooker addiction which he of course disagreed with but his feelings were disregarded.

They eventually felt that it was time for a break.

Kyungsoo was set to go because the new editor and Taemin was going to finish the rest of the day.

“Kyungsoo mind turning everything off since you’re staying behind?” Amber asked.

“Not at all.”

He decided he was going to stay at the studio and edit videos. To him, it would be more comfortable staying in a working environment to finish his tasks. Being at home only made Kyungsoo lazy.

He watched the members leave for lunch break, saying his goodbyes.

But he wasn’t alone.

Kai walked back in with a smile touching his lips.

“What do you want?” Kyungsoo asked, ignoring that he was being rude.

“You.” Kyungsoo shook his head and went back to his editing. Kai sat next to him, pouting. “Why are you so mean?”

“Because you’re annoying.”

Kai frowned. “But you barely know me. You said it yourself.”

“Well from these two days, you’ve shown me who you truly are. Getting to know you is unnecessary now.”

Kai was silent for a moment before saying, “I want you to try.”

Kyungsoo frowned. “Try what?”

“Try to get to know me,” Kai announced. “I know I haven’t even known you for a week but dude, you’re really cute. Just give me a shot.”

Kyungsoo never imagined that this would happened.

Kai wanting him to give him a ‘shot’ was something he used to dream about but he didn’t feel that way anymore. He didn’t believe he should be pursuing a relationship with his boss—if that was what his boss wanted. “What do you mean by giving you a shot?”

Kai took his left hand and caressed his knuckles, a welcoming touch. “This is crazy, I know. I just saw your icon and thought you were attractive and now I’m asking you out when I just met you yesterday. I’m moving way too fast but I don’t think that’ll matter in the future.”

Kyungsoo knitted his brows. “Why do you say that?”

Kai shrugged. “I don’t know,” He told him. “I just feel that we were supposed to at least try something. I never really chased after someone.”

“Kai you’ve only been chasing me for two days and you feel that way? That makes no sense.” Kyungsoo took his hand away and sighed.

This was going to be tough.

His old crush asking him out. Great.

Kai took back his hand. “It doesn’t but just try. That’s all I’m asking.”

Kyungsoo already knew his answer but for some reason, he said the opposite. “Then where are you taking me? Out, I mean.”

Kai’s smile was the softest Kyungsoo had ever seen. “Let’s go dog walking.”

-

Ghostbu$terboyy2: take me to your job

Ghostbu$terboyy2: wanna meet my loverboy, chanyeol

 


 

I get so lazy when I get to the end. I’m sorry. Oh and I tried to add some social issues but??? I don't know where im going with this story...ehh. - alex