Why Do You Like Me?

Why Do You Like Me?

The Lover-verse

 

Takuya saw Joon Jae repeat a video on his laptop. He saw him smile and even did a little dance while he was sitting beside him on the sofa in their living room. Joon Jae had played the video for a number of times now and try as he might to ignore it, Takuya was getting curious as to what the video could be. He couldn't hear anything because Joon Jae was using his head phones.

So he very carefully put the book he was reading on the table and subtly threw a look at Joon Jae's screen. Takuya saw that Joon Jae was on Youtube and he was watching an MV. It was a boyband with six members. The MV looked like the group was in a mental ward. The members looked like they were patients, if they could call them that. The group looked like they were painted a little oddly and they danced like they were being electrocuted.

He squinted a little so he could focus on the group's name and the song.

"Nahago Nolja? Cross Gene? Who are they?" He asked Joon Jae but he forgot that Joon Jae couldn't hear him. So he moved closer to him and took one of his ear buds off.

Joon Jae looked surprised. "What?"

"I asked you who they are. You looked like you were enjoying yourself."

"Ah, yes. This is a new band that I discovered. They sound real good and you know what's more interesting?" Joon Jae asked eagerly.

Reluctantly, Takuya asked, "What?"

Joon Jae smiled as if he was sharing a secret to Takuya. "They have a Japanese member with your name."

"No way! Really?" Takuya said in mock surprise. Then he retorted, "Really, Joon Jae, there are many Japanese named Takuya, what's different about that?" He finished in with a huff.

He picked up his book again and was about to go back to his reading when Joon Jae took the book from him and shoved his laptop in his face instead.

"Look! This is him. Tell me what you think."

Quickly getting annoyed with his roommate but still a bit curious, Takuya trained his eyes to the screen.

"Where is he?"

Joon Jae eagerly pointed with his finger a figure of a tall guy. They were in silhouette so he couldn't see their faces yet. "They all look the same," he began. But then Joon Jae turned his head by putting a finger in Takuya's cheek. He had no choice but to watch.

When the video switched to the bright scenes, Takuya kept his eyes open to catch the man Joon Jae was very enthusiastically pointing at. It was then when the camera focused on the individual members that he saw him. The guy with the same name as his.

"There! There! You see him? Takuya, he looks just like you! Isn't it weird?"

Takuya did see him. This new Takuya that made Joon Jae extremely happy to see. Looking at the tall guy on the screen, Taakuya couldn't distinguish their sameness. Okay, they were both tall. This Takuya looked somewhat of the same features, but Takuya didn't know how to dance. He could carry a tune better than this boyband member though.

"Did you notice, he also has a mole like you. you could practically be twins! This is really weird. Maybe we should go to one of their concerts and see what'll happen if he saw you. What do you think?"

Takuya stopped watching the video and shrugged. "He doesn't look like me. I'm more handsome."

Scoffing, Joon Jae took his laptop from his roommate and played the video then paused it on one of Takuya's shots. "What do you mean you don't look like him? He's your spitting image! It's like I'm seeing you dancing. Are you sure you're not a twin?"

By now, Takuya was feeling the irritation in full force. If Joon Jae wanted to see this Takuya then he should. He didn't need to be annoying about it.

He stood up. "No. I don't have a twin. And please, don't mention him to me again."

 

Joon Jae then realized that his tall friend could be really annoyed. He just didn't know why. All he knew was that finding someone who looked like Takuya was so uncanny. It was a very remarkable coincidence. In fact, he was actually very tempted to seek out this Cross Gene member to see for himself if he indeed looked like his Takuya. Okay, wait. That didn't sound right. Takuya was not his. But the point was, there were two Takuyas who could be twins in Korea and it was very weird! At least for him. But it was best not to get on Takuya's bad side.

"Well, I'm sorry if you didn't like it. I was just joking around." Joon Jae explained softly. "I hope you're not jealous. You're still my best friend."

Takuya stayed silent for a bit, then he sighed. He sat again on the sofa but this time, he sat next to Joon Jae. Real close.

"But who do you like better, Joon Jae? Me or that Takuya?"

Joon Jae's brow furrowed in confusion. "Of course I like you more. I don't know him like I know you."

"So why do you like me?" Takuya smiled mischievously at him. "There must be a reason, right?"

Joon Jae didn't know if Takuya was doing it out of revenge but suddenly he felt as if the question was a test. How did he answer that question?

 

 

End.