The First Day is the Worst Day

Oblivate Me

They say the first day is the worst day, that is, after your parents are murdered. That's a lie, they don't know what it's like. The worst day will occur next week, when I'm awoken from my slumber, breathless and panicky—searching for the familiar and unique comfort of my mother and father only to realize they're not there to save me from this neverending despair. Or perhaps today is the worst day, and my worst day shall flow into the duration of next week, month, year, lifetime of searching for figures to fill the emptiness that my late parents have forsaken me with. Though, thankfully, I'm not made to bear this heartbreaking burden so lonesomely. I've an older brother, Luhan, who makes the perfect (new) head of the Im family. Luhan is responsible, intelligent, genuine, and wise. So much so, that my father has left the entirety of the Im family fortune in Luhan's hands—which frightens me to the core. For the only known reason that my parents were murdered is because of our family's profound wealth. To think that Luhan, who is all I have left, was rendered alone to suffer the burden of the Im's riches.


The first day of school smelled nostalgic, but even so my feelings of sadness did not waver. Ironically loud whispers and murmurs filled the corridors with both the curious and pitiful breaths of outsiders.

"Do you think she's okay?"

"I heard Yeeun's parents died over the summer."

"No surprise there, there were tons after her family's fortune."

"Poor kid, at least she's got all that money now though."

There were tons of others in the halls, but it truly felt as though I was the only soul who roamed them. I could feel the inquisitive glares of other students and staff piercing my soul, overflowing with pity and dolefulness. Emotions I had no room for, although my chest constantly felt a few tonnes heavier than before, I have never felt emptier. This was the loneliest and most unsatisfying feeling one could ever experience. 

The bell which indicated the beginning of first period rung calmly, though interrupting the gossip and chatter of many surrounding me. The corridor immediately cleared as I had not bothered to move an inch from my locker. I sighed loudly and it resonated throughout the hallway, wondering if there truly was a point in attending class on this day. I knew that in every room I entered, the dismal eyes of many would feast upon my lamentable presence. I understood that nobody was forcing me to go to class, even Luhan offered to let me stay home and take it easy. What was I going to do if I stayed home? Lay and wallow in anguish and melancholy, no—I think the forlonness would asphyxiate me to death. My mother and father would be appalled at the sight of their only daughter luxuriating herself in such a pathetic state of mind.

"Of course I'm going to school, I don't give a damn what other people will say or do about it. I'm not going to be some helpless damsel in distress." I unknowingly sputtered angrily to myself, proceeding to close my locker in frustration. I had my eyes shut tight, I was lachrymose when I had walked into something or someone right beside my locker.

"I'm so sorry, I was just—um," He stuttered, waving his hands in all sorts of directions looking for the words to describe what he was just doing. "Just heading to class, yeah. Phew," He let out a relieved sigh. 

I briefly opened my eyes and looked up to find a boy who seemed around my age, bearing rather hamster or cat-like features which surprisingly captivated me. "Don't worry about it." I murmured quietly while shifting to the right as he shifted to the left and laughed cutely. I then shuffled to the left, as he shuffled to his right and I giggled. We did the awkward dance one last time before he stepped aside and signified that he would let me pass through by making strong eye contact with me. His brown eyes intrigued me, like none I've ever seen before—though his gaze was intimate and familiar. I didn't want to look away, not at all—he was beautiful, but I already vowed to myself to attend my first period class. Even underneath his school uniform it was easy to revere his obviously toned body. So, I reluctantly bowed my head towards him as a thank you and let myself pass through without struggle. Turning my head back in his direction once I'd arrived at the corner in front of me, he was already gone.

Approximately four minutes late to my first class, I was, though it didn't seem to matter. As both professors and students were willing to overlook any erratic behaviour of mine due to my sudden lack of parental figures. It was a new year, and what a pleasant way to start it.

"Welcome, Miss Im. You may take your seat next to Mr. Byun over there." My professor indicated the location of my seat with his face only. I assumed there was already a seating plan in place, considering that Byun Baekhyun is rather popular amongst many students (and even teachers). I never met him personally, to me Byun Baekhyun is nothing but the contrived image of a boy who I've seen many girls fawn over, and many alluring rumors. I took my seat next to Baekhyun, who wore his school uniform very neat and tidily. We were not too close for our classroom was rather spacious, I caught him taking a quick glimpse of me—I didn't think much of it though, my parents did just die after all. I didn't look back too hard, but his dark hair fell in place almost flawlessly and even with its small imperfections I could not help but admire such a presence. His milky complexion stood out amongst many, and in the corner of my eye. I had no further interest in him, due to the rumours about his intimidatingly unshakable popularity.

Once class had come to an end, I reached out my arms to gather all my scattered school supplies. I felt that something was missing from my belongings, but was too unmotivated and sad to bother making myself sure. Packing my bag for my next class, I left Baekhyun who was still sitting in his spot, surrounded by people who seemed too interested in him for their own good. That group of people including one of my best friends, Daebin.

Baekhyun's head momentarily spun my way as I walked up the stairs with the intention of exiting the classroom.

"How do you guys think Yeeun is holding up?" Daebin tried to say discreetly, but I heard her. Rather than leaving the classroom, I hugged the wall to listen a little bit longer to Daebin's conversation with Baekhyun.

"What a dumb question," leaves Baekhyun's lips. My eyes widened quickly and my head turned a little more in their direction. "What are any of us expecting her to do? Break down to her knees and sob in front of everybody? If we treat her like her life , she's really going to believe her life ." He said, like he knew I was listening.

"Yeah, you're right." Daebin and the others agreed. What I heard from Baekhyun surprised me, he didn't state anything too special—but it was a unique reaction to what I'd received from everybody else. A small smile crept up to my face, and I had not even realized it. The death of my mother and father was indeed disheartening, but after I had the summer break to grieve and mourn, I'm a little better. Everybody looked at me and approached me cautiously as though I'm as delicate as glass—like I'll break if you say the wrong thing, or hate you for acting a little unintentionally insensitive. Which was not truly the case, I didn't mind being treated with so much care, but being stared at with pity-eyes and distress made me believe that everything that occurred was something to feel pitiful about. Not true.

Though, I did feel somewhat warm towards Baekhyun after hearing what he said. Taking a deep breath as though I were relieved, I walked out of the classroom and back into the corridor where the sun shone brightly through the windows, and glistened upon my skin. I didn't know what exactly made me feel this way, but I felt that I was going to get through the day okay.

About five minutes passed and I was almost at my locker when I heard the sound of somebody frantically running up to me. I turned around, with an eyebrow cocked up. "What the hec—"

SLAM! That was the second time I'd bumped into someone today, I didn't know if it was me or everyone else but I was frustrated and fed up. "Listen, kid, can you watch where you're going?"

"Kid?" Baekhyun laughed.

I was immediately washed over with shame, I acted so rudely out of spite. Regardless of who bumped into me, I shouldn't have lashed out so quickly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I was just startled is all."

"It's fine," Baekhyun smiled brightly. "Here, you left this in class." He revealed my missing notebook from behind his back.

"Did you..." I continued apprehensively. "Did you take that?" I pointed towards my notebook, bewildered.

He looked at me for a moment, and hesitated before saying anything else. Baekhyun's features resembled that of a small puppy. His eyes sparkled in the prominent sunlight which shone through the windows. "What? No, no I didn't take it. You just left this underneath the desk and I thought I should return it to you, so..." He brought the notebook closer to me and I took a closer look at it. He held my journal, which was disguised as many of my academic notebooks—I almost didn't recognize it.

"My journal," I said softly as I gently retrieved it from Baekhyun's hands; he carefully and strategically placed it so that our hands would touch and I could feel his kindness and concern through his mere fingertips. Looking down at his hands, I adored his (also) impeccable hands. Our momentary skinship made my heart jump a little.

"Oh, don't worry, I didn't read it." He assured me, kindly.

I looked back at him, confused and slightly weirded out. No, I would not have wanted him to read it. Most people would have though, and the fact that he didn't interested me very much. "You didn't?" I said, doubtfully as I packed away my journal while smiling. I reminded myself not to be fooled by his adamant charms.

"Well, if I had one I wouldn't want anybody to read mine." Baekhyun shrugged cutely.

"Yeah, thank you." I chuckled awkwardly, I had no idea what to say to him. I thought I might have died from blushing if we looked at each other any longer.

"Where are you off to, now?" He asked, supposedly to keep the conversation going.

"I actually have a free period, so I think I'm going to sit in the courtyard for a bit. The weather's really nice today." I said, pointing my thumb backward in the direction of the courtyard. From the corner of my eye, a certain somebody stood out to me. Somebody whose name I didn't know, staring at either me or the side-back view of Baekhyun. I couldn't tell who it was until I squinted my eyes a little, it was the boy who I'd bumped into at my locker just before first period. Baekhyun noticed this and turned around, he subtly pouted to himself for a split second before turning back to me.

"I'll see you, then." He smiled at me. As Baekhyun turned around and walked away from me in the other boy's direction, I couldn't help but think about how gentle Baekhyun's presence was (and how gracious his back was). When I focused my eyes to find the boy who was looking over here earlier, he seemed to have disappeared—again. I brushed off the whole situation and went to find a shady area in the courtyard to sit in. 

When I arrived at the courtyard, I found there were no seating places which proved to be appropriate for quiet alone-time. Which I was trying to convince myself I needed, but I think what I really needed was company, perhaps my dearest older brother... or my mother and father. Also, it looked a little too lively for my liking at the moment. It was not totally desolate, for there sat happy lads and lasses accompanied by the bly beautiful sun. I'd hate to bring down the mood of this area as a whole, so I headed to the garden. Our school's garden was lovelier than most, every divine flower was laced with the passion and love of the one who tended to it. Yes, the perfect spot. I settled down my bags and sat on a bench underneath a large tree, I brought up my knees and sat sideways so as to make myself more comfortable on this wooden bench. I has just taken out my journal to write an entry when suddenly, I felt the presence of another somewhere near me. I looked up to find the mysterious boy with beautiful eyes who'd disappeared from my sight twice when I tried to search for him.

"Hello again, I'm Minseok." He smiled tenderly.

When I glanced upwards, the face of the boy I had been quite curious about was merely a foot and a bit away from my own. I jumped, slightly. I was genuinely startled. "Oh, hello there." Out of reflex, I retracted my legs and sat properly on the bench in case Minseok wanted to sit by me, which he did.

"The garden is a really wonderful place to gather your thoughts isn't it?" He rested him bum by my side but not too close.

I took a deep breath in, and laughed airily. "Oh yeah? And what makes you say that?"

"Don't you find something so elegant and alluring about flowers? They are mere flowers, and are of no importance to you or I—but there is sheer beauty in the fact that even such miniscule objects are filled with life. These flowers especially were all treated with such tender love, and were raised with one purpose which was to be beautiful and they are." He faced me. Minseok removed the outer layer of his uniform, leaving just his collared shirt and tie. He diligently rolled up his sleeves and I watched every little movement his fingers made while he neatly fixed his cuffs. "Perhaps it is not the flowers themselves that is beautiful, but the feeling that being surrounded in them gives me."

"I envy a flower," I pulled some of my hair back behind my ears. "A flower should not need to cry for the loss of a loved one, or the one who raised it. Like you said, a flower is sprouted with the purpose to be beautiful. A flower bears no responsibility other than to look beautiful, and it always does. A flower will never disappoint me." Tears lined my lower waterline, I held back because I did not want to appear so needy in front of Minseok.

"But that is okay, isn't it?" I stopped crying, and I looked at Minseok. A comforting, warm breeze blew by and dried my tears almost immediately. "A flower is a flower, and you are you. If a flower is so miniscule what should it matter if it has disappointed you? You can simply grow another. However, you cannot be utterly regrown out of spite of a mistake or having disappointed somebody." Minseok didn't glance at me, but his words hugged my heart sincerely and I appreciated that. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?"

"Ah," My mouth was left slightly open for about a second out of mesmerization from Minseok's meaningful words.

He waved his hand in front of my face. "Are you here?" He joked, while laughing with his eyebrows pointed upwards. 

"Yeeun, Im Yeeun." 

Minseok delicately placed his index finger underneath my chin and tapped it lightly to close. He chuckled, "It's okay to cry, Yeeun. It's okay to occasionally disappoint others, or disappoint yourself because you're human and that in itself is also quite a beautiful thing. A flower is born with one purpose, but you are here with many. If you sometimes feel like you need to take a break and just wallow in your emotions, that is more than okay." Our eyes met and I nearly did burst out into tears. 

"Thank you, Mins—"

His phone suddenly began to vibrate like crazy. "Excuse me, let me just check this." Minseok reached for his phone within his school bag. 

"Yeah, the gymmy , Kim Minseok!! - Baek"

Minseok was immediately washed over with embarrassment, and frantically searched the school windows to see if Baekhyun really was watching him. There, Baekhyun stood on the second floor, peering at us. And I could not help but feel a little bit guilty, but for what?