One shot [1/5]

Capture the moment

'What are you doing?' Minseok asked the man who just pointed a photo camera at him and shot, the shutter noise pulling him from his quiet stupor as he was eating a sandwich.

'Documenting,’ the strange man answered, smiling innocently. He took a seat next to him on the bench, a little too close if he may add. Minseok shuffled a bit further away from him.

‘Documenting what?’

‘Everything that interests me.’ The man smiled with a curl at both ends of his lips.

Minseok snorted. The man must be crazy, he thought and appointed his attention to his sandwich again.

‘You don’t believe me, do you? What if I show you the picture?’ the man prompted, shuffling himself closer to him and turning the camera screen to him. The picture showed Minseok’s dull eyes staring at the sandwich in his hands. The man tapped a button and a second picture appeared, this time it’s an unflattering picture of Minseok with his mouth around the sandwich, cross-eyed staring at the sandwich between his lips.

‘Oh what the hell, man. Delete that!’ Minseok spouted out, angered by the man for taking an unflattering unconsented picture of him.

‘No. I think it’s perfect. Do you want to know why I document all these things?’ The stranger answered. Rude.

‘Because you’re an and you like disturbing strangers?’

The stranger laughed, he actually laughed, while Minseok was getting all worked up. ‘If I knew every stranger would react this entertaining, then maybe that could have been my reasoning as well! But no, I like photographs because they can capture a precious moment, which would otherwise be forgotten.’

‘And what about me stuffing my face is exactly precious to you? If you are going to mention my cheeks, I will punch you.’ He had enough comments about his cheeks, his friends even nicknamed him hamster.

Again the stranger laughed. It almost started to become contagious, his serene laughter filling Minseok with something he hadn’t felt in a while. Was it happiness? Or was it comfort?

‘Look at this first picture again.’ The man showed the camera screen again, this time he zoomed in on Minseok’s eyes. ‘What do you see here?’

Minseok scrunched his nose. ‘My eyes?’ He questioned. The man nodded excited and prompted him to continue. ‘They are… Black? They’re not fully opened, like I’m tired or disinterested in what I’m doing.’

‘To me, they look sad. You looked sad when I found you. A stranger on a bench, eating a soggy slapped together sandwich. Your eyes are very beautiful, but they did not shine when I took

this picture. I think they do now.’ The stranger happily declared.

Minseok stared up at the man, his mind blank on how to react to that. This stranger just barged into his life, snapping a picture of him and is now telling him what he feels? Before he could react, the man had waved and walked away.

 

‘Wait,’ Minseok yelled out before he could think about what he was doing. The man turned around and gave him a curious look. ‘What’s your name?’

‘Jongdae, my name is Jongdae,’ the other replied in a soft voice with curled lips.

 

The peculiar man had already left a while ago, but the smile on his lips still lingered in Minseok’s mind. Maybe his words had some truth in them, if only he took a picture of that smile.