Hemolysis

Ketsuekigata

A year passed by quickly. Four seasons gone by since I got into that unfortunate accident. Ever since then, I moved on with my life completely forgetting all the past events that brought me pain and sorrow. I promised myself to live a happy life since God has given me another chance to live. All thanks to the Good Samaritan who selflessly donated his or her blood to me though we’re not related.

 

My best friend Lee Yoora told me that I was on coma for half a year. Not even the most skilled doctors couldn’t tell when would I wake up or if all my memories are still going to be intact the moment I open my eyes. But for some unexplainable reasons I woke up one day seemingly tired of a journey that I wasn’t sure if it did happen but I was glad just feeling my heart beating once again.

 

I’m Kim Sun-Hee, a junior university student taking up Psychology. Studying people’s personality is one of the many reasons why I took up this course. Actually, Engineering was my first course when I entered the university but then after the accident, which led me to stop schooling for over a year and a half, I decided to shift to Psychology. I was curious indeed to know if there is really such thing as ‘compatibility’ when it comes to love. Do blood types have something to do with finding the right person you’d spend your lifetime with? Or do blood types correctly manifest specific personalities? Personally, I don’t believe in such so I want to prove that my presumptions are true.

***

It was a random day of November. Leaves fell down the tree as wind blows. Yoora kept convincing me to attend the Halloween party prepared by the Student Council for the students. I said to her a couple of times that I don’t want to go but she persistently followed me around the university, which I find quite annoying.

 

“Sun-Hee! Why can’t you just say ‘Yes’?” Yoora pulled the book that I’m reading, down on the desk.

 

“You know for a fact that I don’t like to attend parties like that!” I was about to pull back my book but she stubbornly close it. “YAH! I don’t want to go! They’re only going to show off their costumes and you know how I hate people bragging the luxurious things they have…”

 

“But Sun-Hee…get a life! You don’t have to lock yourself inside your room the whole day and read these books about Personality Psychology!” She sighed. “It’s been a year and a half since you last dated someone…did your heart turned ice cold?”

 

‘I’m alive but my heart beats for something else…I believe that I exist for other reasons and that’s not love for sure…I died the moment we broke up but I came back to life and will not do the same mistake twice. So I have given up the thought that I’d be able to open my heart again to someone.’

 

“Yoora! It’s a NO! Okay?” I stood up from my chair and pick my books. “I’ll see you tomorrow and enjoy the party…”

 

“Sun-Hee~ah! I thought you’re interested with ‘KETSUEKIGATA’?”

 

(A/N: The study of personality analysis by Blood type.)

 

I momentarily stopped and looked back at her. “Why did you mention it?”

 

She pulled herself up and walked in front of me. “They’d be having Speed Dating Blood Compatibility…” She said. “I think you should go if you want to add up to those piles of researches you have…interacting with people of different blood types will help you fill in the missing pieces…”

 

Yoora’s right. I’ve always been stuck with textbooks and internet researches but I’ve never really had a nice conversation to opposite with different blood types.

 

“What time and where would they hold the party?” I asked. Yoora squealed in happiness as she held me tight in her warm embrace. “I knew you would come…I’ll see you 7 pm in front of our dormitory…”

 

“But it’s a Halloween party right? Does that mean I should wear a creepy costume too?” I asked with unsure face. She patted my shoulder and gave a reassuring smile. “It’s okay…I have everything prepared before you even say ‘Yes’…” She chuckled. “All you have to do is be there and wear a cute smile...” She stretched my lips forcing a smile.

 

She waved a hand and I did the same then we both walked to opposite directions.

 

 

*No One’s POV*

 

“Glad you pay me a visit…” A guy with black tress wearing a black suit gave his friend a hug. “It’s been a year since I last saw you…how’s travelling overseas?” He asked as he pulled away.

 

“I’ve been to many places but it still feels different when you’re home…” The other man sighed and forced a smile. It’s been a year since his beloved wife died in a car accident. A week after the he scattered her ashes on Han River, he packed his bags and leave the country. He made that abrupt decision though both families opposed to it cause he knew he can’t stay another hour or even a few seconds, laying on their bed without smelling his wife’s scent. Her scent that once gave him the reason to smile each morning…now makes his heart wrench in pain. That’s why he runs away so he could start anew. But a year passed but his feelings never changed. He still longs for her touch, for her good cooking skills, for her kisses…that’s why he pledged not to fall in love again.

 

“So what brings you here?” His friend asked, interrupting his thoughts. “You should’ve called me instead and meet me somewhere else…”

 

“Besides visiting you…I’m here as a substitute teacher in Psychology…” The taller man answered briefly.

 

“Oh I see…glad we can hang-out more often now…” The latter uttered in an excited tone.

 

“Oh by the way…do you know someone named Kim Sun-Hee? I heard she’s studying here…”

 

“Oh…Kim Sun Hee! Junior psychology major…she’s smart and pretty but weird at times…” He chuckled. “I’ll go ahead first…See you later…”

 

“Okay…” He waved a hand. “Kim Sun-Hee…finally I’m going to meet her…” He mumbled.

 

‘My Eun Mi’s precious blood runs through her veins…’

 

*End of Chapter*

 

------

A/N: Hemolysis means the breakdown of Red Blood Cells...^^