Chapter 1

ALL I EVER WANT IS YOU

 

“You’re always late!” Rich said. He is driving while fixing his hair and he is on the phone with his best friend Nico as well. It’s like an every day thing for him and Nico.

“I made it clear, right? We’re going to meet at 7 in the morning. It’s already 6:56 and you just woke up?!” He added. As pissed off as he is, he still can’t get mad at her at all.

“I know... I know.... Dad....” Nico answered in a very teasing way. She just really woke up but it’s all because of something else.

“Shut up....” Rich has just arrived at the gate of Nico’s house. Deep inside, there’s that smile on his face. “I am already here.” He said in an intentional pissed off tone, though.

“I am sorry. Get inside. Give me 30 minutes. Promise that’s maximum!” Nico said. She gets up and because she knows that Rich is waiting, she decided not to do her daily sit-up and curl-up combo. She stared at herself in the mirror as soon as she reached her own bathroom.

“Jesus. I can never hide these puffy eyes.” She told herself.

She cried last night. It’s all because of him. Yes. That boy who never saw her worth while they were still together is the very reason why. There’s this guy named Roy and they dated for 3 years until the guy decided to leave her all because of another woman. After a year of separation, this guy called again days ago and from then on, started talking to him again. She just cannot open it up to her best friend Rich because for sure he is going to haunt him down and kill him.

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

 

Nico’s thoughts just cut off because of the loud ring of her phone. When she checked it, Rich’s name appeared.

“I know... I know... I am about to start. Get something to eat there. Thirty minutes maximum! Promise!” she said even before Rich had started talking.

“Ssssshhh. I know, right. Your timer starts now! 30 minutes! I am telling you Nico. If you don’t come down here in 30 minutes, I am going to leave you.” He joked.

“Oh yes, all men are like that. You guys just leave...” then silence butted in for a while. “I am just kidding! Haha! Promise!” she said after realizing what she just told him.

“I have said this many times Nicomaine, I will never leave you. I am not going to ever leave your side no matter what. Now go and take a shower because your time is running!”He uttered in a very serious way but his smile is obvious. At least, that is what Nico felt and every time he calls her name completely, she knows that he is serious.

She started taking a shower. Rich on the other hand started his breakfast. The maid served him a toast and an orange juice just like what he asked of her to make.

Today’s event is very important for him and his family. It is the wedding anniversary of his parents and the presence of Nico is very much needed there. Every time he visits his parents in Tagaytay, he brings her because that is what his mother always tells him.

“Don’t ever come here without her.” And these words linger in his ears all the time.

His parents especially his mother is very close to Nico. His mother and Nico’s mother are best of friends since their high school days. Just now, Nico’s family already migrated to America and it’s just her here in the Philippines. Nico lives in their ancestral house with some maids and he lives in his own house with his maids. His parents decided to sell their house and move to Tagaytay because it’s better there. Meanwhile. Rich, after finishing his Engineering course in Ateneo University, started building his own house while running the family business he inherited from his father. Nico on the other hand, finished her Culinary course in De La Salle University with flying colors. She is one of the top students in her class and one of the lucky students who was able to have her internship in New York City. She is one of the best chefs in town and owns a large corporate of chefs and aspiring ones. She runs a Culinary school and owns 3 restaurants too.

“Hey!” Nico called him.

“Opps!” “Urgh! How long have you been standing there?” He asked. He almost dropped the glass of juice out of surprise.

“Been calling you five times but you were just staring at your food. Is there something wrong Richard?” she asked. She sat at the table across him. “This man is really handsome but he is never really my type.” She silently told herself. Yes, Rich is a very attractive guy and everything about him is interesting. Any woman could fall for his charm and his money. At the age of 26, he is one of the richest businessmen that had braced business magazines here and abroad.

“Oh, nothing. Just got caught up with some thoughts here.” He said then he drank his juice that is almost half empty. “Did you consume thirty minutes? Maybe not? Haha!” he said.

“Of course not. I told you boy, 30 minutes, that is the maximum. I did everything in 25 minutes DAD.” She highlighted the last word and then laughed really hard. “Shall we go now?” she asked. She is happy that at this time, Rich has not noticed his eyes yet. She is sure that he is going to piss her off to death by asking her the reasons for having puffy eyes again. But too bad, Rich has not noticed her clothes and she believes that ever since, he never does. Rich does not like complimenting people including her. Because they are best of friends, it’s kind of pretty normal. Rich always does all the opposites. He teases her. He loves mocking her. He loves pissing her off. He loves making her cry..... but in a funny way. And to top it all, she knows he cares. He cares for her so much. She feels that everyday.

“Sure. I will just finish this one up and we’ll go.” He said. When Nico stood up, he stood up too and he noticed how her above-the-knee black dress fits her perfectly. The shape of her body is clearly seen. Her black stilettos match her outfit very well. He gulped.

Nico turned her back on him and continued walking towards the front door. Rich on the other hand stood still. “Why is it just now that I see how gorgeous you are.” He uttered to himself. He followed her and walked past her. “You look beautiful today.” He finally said but not looking at her. He whistled and walked faster to cover up that instant compliment that just came out of his mouth which he really never does to anyone.

Though shocked from what she just heard, she smiled but was left speechless by it.

“Did I hear it right Richard?” she asked while smiling. “You just said I look beautiful today, right? Right? Right?” she added while following him.

“Yes, and you do look beautiful today. Happy?” he said. He once again. And he’s like other guys... That’s what she knows. That’s what he knows.

“Rich, can I drive?” Nico asked before he opened the door for her.

“A big NO. Now get in the car and enjoy the ride!” He pushed her to get inside but that push is very light just enough to as usual.

“Urgh! I hate you!” she uttered but deep inside she likes how Rich acts that way. He always treats her like a baby... oh well a princess. Whenever Rich is around she knows that she is safe. She knows that she does not have to do a lot of things because Rich is around to do things for her just like opening the door, carrying her groceries or even when she just needs someone to talk with, Richard is the man to call. Always.

Rich went to the side of the car and got in. He started the engine and while doing that, he looked at Nico who was busy fixing her hair.

“You can never hide those eyes with your concealer. What happened to you? I knew you were awake the whole time. You cried all night again?” he asked while starting to move the car our of the front door of Nico’s house. The way he asked, she knew he’s concerned.

“Yeah... but can we just talk about other things Richard.” The sadness in her eyes flashed but she smiled to changed the topic. “How’s your business going now?” she asked him while fixing her hair again but this time she faced him.

“Things are going well. Everything is fine but seems like something is missing...” he said. He stepped on the gas and moved the car to where they’re heading. The dimple on his face never leaves. She finds it really cute on him.

“And what is that? You have almost everything Richard.” She said.

“I am not getting any younger Nicomaine. You know, I am done with being a bachelor at this age. I do not enjoy having flings anymore. Having with a girl is something I do not even enjoy doing especially if there is no love involved.” He uttered. He looked at her from the mirror while she’s laughing at him when he mentioned .

“Oh I know... well you need a girlfriend! A wife!” she told him while laughing.

“And what’s with those laughs??” he asked while laughing too.

“I just find it cute that you are talking about these things to me. Like, hey, back in our college days you would always ask me to give you random dates. Look at how time passed by so fast. You’re now talking about more serious things. Hehe!” she said while teasing him.

Deep in his thoughts...

“I wanted you all along Nicomaine.”

Deep in her thoughts...

“I wanted you to want me all along Richard.”

 

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

 

To be continued...