Damsel in Distress

▁▁▏Edge of the World
Beyond the Veil of Mist
S


ay, young man. Have you heard the tales... about what lies just beyond this damnable mist?

The old observes the young with his one good eye as dry, crackled hands stow away broken rod and bent tackles. No catch today. No catch everyday. Ever since the day the princess was taken away. He still holds on to hope, however, that one day... one day, for sure, the fish will return to the bay.

What tales do you speak of?

The response is like that from any other foreign young man wandering these unholy parts... of all the good places in Wang... to be here... on the edge of the most treacherous of waters.

The tale of the fortress... the fortress built upon water and smoke... on the other side of this damnable mist.

Yes. The young man has heard many a tale... but none so near the truth.

I have heard a few...

Then you best be going back. It is for your own good. No one has gone across to ever return. Fortune hunters. Fame seekers. Strong, young men, dreaming of their one true bride. Once they cross, they never return. Never.

The old man scratches his white whiskers, wondering what brings this youth here. Fame? Fortune? Or... love?

What do you know of the one true bride, old man?

So... the one true bride has lured yet another victim here...

The one true bride is Kingdom of Wang's sixth princess, Xinling. She is said to be the most beautiful Divine Flower in the world. Possessing the touch to heal all ailments, the voice to produce a smile from any gloom, her perfection is unrivaled by any mortal man or woman.

The young man chuckles. After two decades, the truth has warped into this... she has made quite a name for herself... to become a goddess with the power to bring the dead back to life.

Why is it you laugh? Is it hard to believe? A princess... guarded by fire-breathing dragons, massive walking trees, vicious mutant wolves and... and... and the likes. But, sometimes, I do catch myself thinking. Has there truly been a sixth princess of Wang?

The princess exists. The young man has no doubts. Twenty years ago, before she was taken, he had made a mighty foolish promise to her. A promise he has now come at last... to break.