Five Hours

Silent Laughter

Kyungsoo stares. His mind reels at the impertinence of being called doe eyes and a quiet voice in the back of his mind whispers the word “punish”. An even quieter voice murmurs unconsciously to him that this Someone is handsome, but he barely hears it, more of a vague acceptance than anything else. His own surprise has overwhelmed his senses and he’s staring, but not seeing. The gentle clinking of cutlery upon plates, nails upon teacups and occasional yapping of toy poodles fades into a dull buzzing. The air feels heavy again, Kyungsoo draws a calm, steady breath, but it feels like he’s trying to breathe in whipped cream. Then, just as he begins to worry that the world has stopped, the pup nearest to him on his lap nudges his stilled hand impatiently while the Someone fidgets.

Everything clunks back into place, like old, worn gears on an antique music box. The music tinkles into life, the ballerina revolves and Kyungsoo clears his throat, “I … ah …” The Someone’s face is kind, placid, as if all the waves in the Ocean could beat against it, but he’d never feel more than a gentle wash. Right now, though, he looks undeniably nervous as he fidgets again and his eyebrows raise uncertainly. Kyungsoo puts the impertinent name down to nervousness, the corners of plump lips curling upwards into an amused smile, he finds it endearing, “Yes, please.” The nervousness is replaced by a blinding, toothy smile and Kyungsoo is reminded of the Winter Sun reflecting off of wet roads, dazzling drivers as they squint helplessly.

 “Great! I’m Junmyeon, by the way. I probably should have started with that, but … anyway, what are you drinking?” It comes out in a breathless sort of babble and Kyungsoo has to purse his lips to keep from laughing, eyes lowering as he collects himself. Junmyeon takes that moment to sink into the chair opposite, doing his best to look cool and in control despite two little poodles sniffing around his feet and legs. When Kyungsoo raises his gaze again, he’s met with the sight of the other glancing nervously downwards. Soo knows that look, his friends wear it when they join him in the café, too. Junmyeon is silently wondering if all the dogs are house trained.

Junmyeon looks up and their eyes meet. Kyungsoo doesn’t shy away, he’s used to people staring at his eyes. It comes with having an unusually large pair, he reasons. “Your eyes are … really big.” Junmyeon starts, just a little lacklustrely and Soo is on the verge of rolling them before the other continues, “They could give light to the stars.” He wasn’t expecting that. Judging by how quietly it slipped out and how surprised Junmyeon’s face looks, he wasn’t expecting it either. Soo swallows thickly. He feels the soft, round cheeks of his face prickling uncomfortably as they heat up, the blush spreading slowly up to the tips of his ears. His stomach jumps and twists at the same time and he doesn’t understand how one hushed line can make him feel so … strange. Pleasantly strange.

 “Oh, goodness. Thank you, they give me sight so it’s nice to know that they could have multiple uses. I’m Kyungsoo.” He wishes he hadn’t said it as soon as the words leave his lips. His stomach twists again, in nervousness this time. He’s worried that it will sound rude, but he doesn’t understand why he’s worried about coming off as rude to a stranger. A stranger called Junmyeon. Thankfully, though, he catches the other smiling at him from across the table. It makes his fingers tingle. “You’re witty, Kyungsoo. I like that. A lot of the people I meet lack personality.” Kyungsoo feels so relieved that he could laugh and, consequently, chooses to ignore whatever meaning is behind that last utterance, “So … about that drink. Your cup seems to be empty, would you like another?” Junmyeon’s smile is almost blinding again.

“Oh, that’s a very good compliment, thank you. I don’t like most people I meet, to be honest. They’re too loud and brash, or just … they have ulterior motives. You’re doing well so far, though. I haven’t had to threateningly mention laxatives once. And … I had spiced hot chocolate last time. It’s good. It has cinnamon in it, amongst some other things.  You should try one.” Kyungsoo’s tone is light, airy, playful with a little smile around heart-shaped lips. He doesn’t realise how abnormal part of what he’s just said sounds.

“Jesus … What kind of people are you talking to?” Junmyeon seems just a little perturbed, but he raises his hand for the waiter all the same. Kyungsoo is glad. He’s even more so when Jyunmyeon asks for two of the same things. A light pink dusts his pale cheeks as he smiles unrestrainedly, happy that someone has listened to his suggestion for once, “Rude and boring ones mostly.” He supplies for the other, small shoulders giving a tiny shrug. He likes slipping laxatives into the food and drink of others as punishment. It doesn’t matter what for, they just have to do or say something he particularly doesn’t like. Then they’ll be spending the rest of the day, or night, becoming very well acquainted with the nearest bathroom. Kyungsoo likes the power it gives him. He’s short and small, slender, not at all threatening with his wide eyes and plump lips, soft skin. So he has to find other ways to get his point across. That’s what he tells himself, anyway.

“I think people only talk to me because I’m pretty, honestly.” Junmyeon muses thoughtfully, chin resting in his hand, elbow propping himself up on the table. Kyungsoo blinks. It’s not that he doesn’t agree, he’s just never heard anyone state so bluntly that they find themselves attractive, “Don’t make me feel sad.” He says it with a laugh, words playfully digging at the other, “I’m not, though.” Kyungsoo’s voice softens this time, like butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, “You could be the most attractive person in the whole world, but I still wouldn’t waste my time if you were boring. You’re not, though, so it’s good.” He lets his words hang quietly in the air, sticking to it like honey on glass as the waiter sets their mugs down. There’s a small, comfortable silence, broken only by Junmyeon mumbling a word of thanks to the staff. Both of them take a moment to blow on the steaming liquid, cooling it, but Soo’s face flushes and burns as he catches Junmyeon observing him quietly over the top of his mug.

“Feel free to slap me if I ever bore you … though, I don’t intend to.” Junmyeon pauses just long enough for Kyungsoo to start to speak, even though he starts again, and it’s not until Soo is halfway through verbalising his own thought that he realises what’s been said,
“I think I might like that. Actually-“
“Honestly, I think it’d be more effective if I just told you tha- … I … uh …”
“Let me just stop right there. I am so sorry.”
“Wow. That took a turn. I … you might not be able to tell, because I’m so shocked, but I’m actually deeply amused.”
“I’ve not been able to tell if you’ve been amused throughout this whole meeting because you’ve just always looked scared.”

Kyungsoo blinked at that, mouth slightly open as he wonders what he’s supposed to say. He’s saved from that, however, as Junmyeon hasn’t finished yet, “I blame the doe eyes.” It’s said with a smile, so Soo knows it’s only playful, but he still can’t help feeling slightly embarrassed and self-conscious. He thinks that maybe he should move the conversation away from himself, “… You do have nice cheekbones, though. Very nice.” He’s referring back to when the other called himself pretty and it takes a few seconds of Junmyeon gaping silently to realise it, “Oh! Thank you. I’m wondering why you didn’t say that about my jawline, though, that’s what most people mention first.” It’s said with a smile again and Kyungsoo thinks that Junmyeon probably isn’t being completely serious.

“They were the first things I noticed, I think. They’re so smooth. Like pebbles on the beach worn down by the waves.”
“I could cut you in half with my jawline, probably … most likely.”
“Oh. I’d rather you didn’t, though.”
“I wouldn’t do that to you, Kyungsoo.”

The evening continues much in the same way with Junmyeon dropping little half serious nuggets and Kyungsoo smiling at them. By the end, with mugs all around them and tummies full of warm, creamy drinks, Kyungsoo finds himself comfortable enough to laugh openly. He feels a warmth that isn’t because of the four or so mugs of hot chocolate he’s drank. It’s a warmth that makes him smile serenely and his cheeks heat up as his eyes cast down. It makes him feel shy, his insides jumping at any slight touch or eye contact from the other. Junmyeon notices, Kyungsoo thinks. It makes him smile, too, makes the little touches come more frequently until his fingers are lingering upon Soo’s. Their gazes catch. Kyungsoo feels nervous. He doesn’t know why his heart feels like it’s just bounced up into his throat from the force of how hard it’s started to beat. He feels a weight in the air, or a lightness, he can’t really tell. It’s the same feeling in the air before a lightning storm. When the dark clouds roll in with distant rumbles of thunder, and the first heavy drops of rain fall, unusually large. He thinks that Junmyeon is probably the lightning here.

They’re cut short however, by a member of staff coming to gently shoo them out of the café at that precise moment. It’s 10pm already and they’re closing. Kyungsoo feels strangely sad and at a loss. Like he’s just woken up from a particularly good dream that hadn’t ended yet, that was leading up to something wonderful and he wishes he could go right back to sleep and finish it. It’s with soft voices that they both hover uncertainly outside the café and Junmyeon asks him, “So … same time, same place tomorrow?” Kyungsoo thinks he hears a nervous flutter in the other’s voice, but could just be the wind. He’d forgotten how bitter it is when he was safely inside. Resting contentedly in Junmyeon’s line of sight. He nods eagerly with an unmistakeable yes and watches how the other’s eyes crinkle at the corners. Watches how cold fingertips come closer until they’re gently tilting his chin upwards. Watches pouty pink lips say see you tomorrow, doe eyes in hushed tones. He likes the way Junmyeon’s lips naturally pout when he talks, and it’s with growing excitement that he turns and trudges home through the snow.