Our Paradise

Frozen Paradise

Large evergreen trees surrounded her from all side. The snow kept falling but that didn’t bother her. She had a grey long sleeves shirt on and her favourite pair of black jeans. She laid on the ground, looking up at the sky, the snowflakes that floated down into her face and clung onto her eyelashes. It should be cold, but she can’t feel anything.

The cold, the heat, tiredness, the thirst, the hunger, the pain, how long has it been since she last felt it. She started to close her eyes when she heard footsteps coming closer, the freshly fallen snow crunching beneath each steps. She knew who it was by the scent that drifted in the wind toward her, peppermint with a hint of lavender. She heard the footsteps and smelled the scent when he was miles away from her, but that was one of the advantage of being who she is, “Is it time?”

She felt his presence loomed over her, but her eyes remained closed. He walked around her once and stopped at her feet, “they said its time to go.”

She sighed, “Must we leave? I really like it here. So quiet, like the time stood still, unchanged, unlike the place where we are heading to.”

“What can we do? Those two trouble maker messed up and revealed themselves to the mortals in the nearby village.”

She felt a gust of wind over her body - a wind that smelled like lavendar and pepermint, which blew away the snow that had gathered over her body. Her body no longer emitted heat, therefore instead of melting when the fresh fallen snow came in contact with her body, it stayed there and kept piling high on her. “We could just wipe their memories like the last time.” The words came out of before she had the time to retract them. 

She felt his strong arms underneath her body, “You know what kind of effect that has on those mortals. We already did it one too many time. If you do it again they will go mad. You don’t want that to happen again do you?” He gently lifted her up from the ground.

Slowly she opened her eyes and stared at his beautiful face, pale skin, plump rosy lips, sharp nose, clear brown eyes and it was framed by his short dark brown hair. He smiled down at her and when she smiled his eyes formed a crescent half moon. “There was so much blood everywhere the last time that happened. No, that will never happen again. I made that promise to your mother and I will never go back on it.”

The smile disappeared from his face then. She knew she shouldn’t have mentioned his mother, but the words escaped before she could stop herself. His mother fell in love with a mortal and he was the result of that love. Once, he was born he exhibited all the talents and abilities of an immortal and that scared his father. Desperate, his mother had asked for help from the other immortals, not once, but twice. However, mortals are such fragile little things.

Love blinded her and as a result the village bathe in blood. The mortals went crazy and started to slay each other. His mother was killed by his own father. Her last breath was for her to take care of him and for her to promise that what happened that day never repeated itself. How long ago was that? They were children and she was still able to feels. Now, they are adults and her immortal blood had fully taken over, which resulted in her losing all the mortal senses. Her feeling had abadonned her.

They met for the first time then. He was so quiet at first, but she was able to pulled him out of his misery. Most of the immortals shunned him for being a Halfling, but they took him in and loved him like one of their own. Her and the other four was all he needed, he had said once. However, he was still different than them, because he still held his mortal feelings. She envied him for it. She nuzzled her head into his chest, taking in his scent, “Sorry.”

 “For what?” he inquired.

“You know what for. I’m not saying it again.”

“Myungsoo, Amber! There you two are,” a petite girl with long wavy brown hair skipped toward them. Her eyes were the coloured of ice. “The other three already have that thing mortals called, car ready by the road.”

“They called it a van, HyunA” another girl appeared behind the first. She had shoulder length light brown - almost bonde - hair. HyunA turned toward the second girl and stuck her tongue out at the her. She then proceeded to skipped away toward the road. Luna smiled as she watched HyunA skipped away. “Why don’t you let her down, Myungsoo?”

Myungsoo gently let her down from his arms. Once she was on the ground she reached over for his hand and entwined her fingers with his. She hated moving and she hated the place they are going to, but as long as she had him by her side, her world wouldn’t collapse into million pieces. He looked at her and smiled,“lead the us to the van, Luna.”

Luna skipped ahead of them. The younger girl knew that she wanted to take her time. They had spent over fifty years here and the quiet little hut in the heart of the forest was their paradise, “You know, Myungsoo, sometime, just sometime I wish that I was born a mortal. I would live everyday like they wouldn’t be the next. Life is so short for them.”

“Life can be short for us too,” the sadness in his eyes frighten her. “Lose enough blood and we will die like them. We are only immortal to a point, but all the creatures of the world have their weaknesses.”

She sighed, “Dying wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Don't you believe in reincarnation?”

He reached for her other hand, held it and gazed intensly into her eyes, “Maybe, maybe not, but don’t you want to be with me forever?”

She smiled a sad smiled. Life repeated itself for her and she was tired, but her love for him wouldn’t allow her to do what she wanted. She tiptoed and kissed him, “I will never leave you, Myungsoo.”

He smiled with that signature smile of his, “Promise?” Seeing how happy he was she nodded. “Remember, you can’t ever go back on you promise, Amber.”

He knew just how tired she was in this life, but just as much as she needed him, he needed her more. Both of their heart would be broken if either of them let each other go. This earth is a paradise only if they were here together. No matter how sad of a paradise it is they are willing to stay here, live and survive together in this cruel world, “I love you.”

He smiled and kissed her again, “I love you too.”

This is their frozen paradise.