Chapter 4

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

JaeAh felt better after she woke up the very next morning. Her headache was gone since she had remembered to take the medicine before she slept. The medicine bought by... Kim Jongin. JaeAh ruffled her hair in frustration as she thought about what happened yesterday. Mentally cursing herself for not taking care of her own body, she quickly slipped out of bed to prepare for school.

The moment she stepped into school, her eyes were darting all around as she walked around cautiously. Her hands tightened around her bag straps, preparing to flee if she saw even a glimpse of him. Thankfully, she reached her class in no time and was surprised to see Taekwoon at his seat. He was playing his favourite Clash Royale and had his earphones on, as usual. 

JaeAh quickly ran towards him and smacked his back excitedly. "Morning, you're early for once!" Taekwoon flinched and hissed at JaeAh.

"Anyway, guess what happened yesterday?" JaeAh asked as she sat down, putting her bag aside.

"What?" Taekwoon asked. The tone of his voice suggested that he was clearly annoyed. 

"I fainted," JaeAh stated, which made Taekwoon jump out of his seat, even his earphones fell out.

"WHAT? Are you okay?!" He exclaimed, eyes widening.

"No. I fell and knocked my head, then I was rushed to the ER. The doctor said that I was in a critical condition but because of a miracle, I'm fine now."

"Liar." Taekwoon rolled his eyes and sat back down. 

JaeAh laughed at his reaction, but Taekwoon only glared at her with his arms crossed, expecting her to spill the beans. She stopped laughing and took a deep breath, "So yesterday, I really did faint and..."

After she was done telling him everything that happened last night, Taekwoon just blinked at her.

"So, you're in love with him now?"

"No way! Are you kidding me?" JaeAh's face scrunched up in disgust.

"I mean, I just told you because I felt like if I didn't tell anyone about this..." JaeAh paused as she pouted, "I would suffocate and die and as you know, I have nobody else but Oppa to share this with." JaeAh said in an annoying baby voice and fluttered her eyes.

"Get lost," Taekwoon sighed and shoved her head away from him. 

Jaeah chuckled, but an image of Kim Jongin asking her if she was fine flashed across her mind and her smile disappeared. She bit her lip, thinking about how he actually stayed and looked after her for two hours. Unknowingly, her gaze shifted to the hallway outside of class. He barely knew her but was so kind and helpful towards her. Yet, all she thought about was avoiding him. Maybe he's not a bad guy after all...



The school bell rang, signalling the end of school. JaeAh quickly packed her bag so she could head to work. As JaeAh reached her hand out to the slot under her desk to check for any textbooks she missed, she felt something odd—not her usual thick textbooks but a piece of paper. Confused, she took it out. It was a small white piece of paper folded into half. JaeAh stared at the note as if it was the weirdest thing on Earth before opening it up.


Kwon JaeAh.

Since you didn't tell me, I had to find out myself.

It's a pretty name, just like you.
 

Her jaw dropped, unable to believe what she just read. Right at that moment, the girl seated infront her started jumping up and down as she held onto her friend and exclaimed, "Did you know who came to our class today? Kim Jongin! Do you think his new target would be from this class?"

The other girl squealed in happiness, "Oh my god! I have a chance, I hope it's me!"

JaeAh's eyes widened as everything seems to make sense now—his appearance outside the cafe yesterday and his gentleman act. She quickly crumpled the piece of paper and tugged it into her pocket. Her expression hardened, she hated the fact that she's now going to be part of this guy's game. JaeAh shut her eyes and clenched her fists. Not a bad guy after all? What a joke, he's just another boy.

"Hello, are you going to faint again?" Taekwoon asked monotonously, which made JaeAh open her eyes. He was waving a hand infront of her.

"It's nothing, let's go." She turned and walked towards the exit of the classroom. Taekwoon frowned while he stared at her

Please log in to read the full chapter