The Morning After

Sick as a Dog - Mark

An inability to breath pulled you out of your sleep, your head slightly tense with a fading headache, opening your eyes slowly, you blinked a few times adjusting the focus of your vision. A soft light illuminated the edges of the curtains pulled over the window, allowing a slight light to highlight your bedroom.

Taking your time to wake, you closed your mouth for a moment, trying to re-wet your tongue from breathing through your mouth all night. your dry lips after your tongue re-hydrated, you moved your eyes down to a mass resting over the dip in your side.

Thinking that it was just Kiki, your hand gently moved anticipating to feel fur and a wet nose somewhere near the dip in your side. However, your fingers brushed over soft, warm skin, slightly hairy forearms but nothing compared to your Kiki. Your heartbeat started to pick up, wondering who would be behind you, not remember much from yesterday from the medications, you slowly turned your head to look over your shoulder.

Moving your shoulder slightly to get a better look, it gently bumped against the person’s chest as you paused to hear the person let out a deep breath. Adjusting yourself to face the stranger, your eyes slowly followed his exposed toned arms to his prominent collarbones.

Following your eyes along his neck then his jawline, the uncertainty began to fade as a smile pulled on your lips instead. Your eyes scanned over his sleeping face, lifting one of your hands up slowly, you dragged your fingertips slowly across his delicate skin, loving the fluttering sensations that you gave yourself from the light touches.

“You’re so… beautiful” His pink lips whispered, his muscles tensing under his skin as you watched his closed eyes.

Smiling slightly brighter than before, you realized that he was talking in his sleep, finding it adorable, you moved your hand up to his hair, tucking some strands behind the shell of his ear, you smiled softly as he hummed still asleep.

Adjusting his arms around you, he pulled you closer to him, squeezing your body against him slightly as he nestled his head in the crook of your neck. His fingers brushing against the exposed skin at the small of your back. Your arms wrapped around his shoulders while your fingers slowly ran through his beautiful hair.

Looking over his shoulder, you saw Kiki happily sleeping on one of her teddy bears. Feeling Mark’s warm breath against your neck, closing your eyes for a moment or two, you drifted in and out of sleep during this peaceful moment.

“Feels like your fever has gone down” Mark whispered softly, his voice deep heavily coated with sleep.

Opening your eyes, you thought he was just sleep talking again, pulling away from him, your eyes drifted down to his face to see his eyes half lidded, but coherent none-the-less.

“If you think so” You shrugged your shoulders lightly as he moved his head from your shoulder to the pillow just to get a better view of you.

“How are you feeling today?” Lifting one of his hands from your side, he tucked some hair behind your ear and brushed the backs of his fingers across your cheek.

“Better” You gave him a soft smile with a nod.

“That’s good” He smiled, showing off one of his sweet smiles to you, “You should have slept longer though…”

“I couldn’t breath” You whispered softly as his eyes widened a little, feeling his hand move to your back, you knew he was checking that you were breathing properly now. “The medicine must have worn off…”

“Would you like me to get you some more?” He questioned softly, his eyes telling of his love and devotion towards you.

“I-I don’t want to be a bother…” You whispered, your teeth lightly biting your bottom lip.

Untangling himself from you, he sat up and pressed a soft kiss on your cheek.

“I’ll be right back” He whispered right after the kiss before crawling to the foot of the bed and standing upright. Walking out of the room, you heard a few cabinets close and some water as you reached over to pet your Kiki, still happily sleeping.

Coming back to your room a moment or two later, he sat on the edge of your bed. Turning back over to him as he handed you the medicine which you took thankfully and laid back against the pillows once you were finished with the tall glass of water.

“That should start working in a few minutes” Mark whispered as he pulled the covers back up on you.

“Thank you” You whisper softly, your eyes blinking slower than normal.

“Need anything else?” He looked down at you as you paused a moment and locked your eyes with his.

“Maybe… some cuddles?” You questioned softly, never asking for cuddles before.

Mark’s soft laughter filled the room as he nodded his head and carefully leaned over, pressing his lips against your forehead he smiled happily. “So cute…”

Climbing over you and resuming his spot between you and Kiki, he moved closer to you, his arm underneath your head as you folded your arm against you while the other one laid across his stomach. His hand wrapped around your back while his other hand rested on your arm lightly.

Moving your head from his shoulder to his chest, your eyes felt heavy as you closed them to the soothing beat of his heart. The light touches of his fingertips brushed over your arm as he drew little hearts every once and a while, his head turned to watch over you. Your fingers gently brushing over the exposed skin on his side, slightly above his hip bones.

“Comfy. beautiful?” Mark whispered as you hummed, slightly nodding your head against him

“Mark?” You hummed softly, your mind slowly forming a question

“Yes?” He hummed after you, his fingers brushing over your arm slowly

“Will you still be here when I wake up?” You questioned, not wanting him to leave, yet not wanting to be clingy or needy.

“Don’t worry, I don’t have anywhere better to be, than with my best girl” Mark pressed a kiss on your head making all of the doubts in your mind dissipate before slowly drifting off to sleep with the one you loved watching over you.